1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

LGBT News Italy recognizes civil unions, rejects adoption by gay couples

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by Typhoon, Feb 28, 2016.

1. Typhoon

Typhoon Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Surprised no one said anything. For someone who has Italian roots, and knows the Italian culture quite well, the decision regarding adoption was to be expected.

https://www.rt.com/news/333776-italy-same-sex-civil-union/

Honestly though I don't think people appreciate what a huge step forward this is in a mildly homophobic country like Italy.

2. Michael

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I'm glad for them, still it's not the same as recognizing full marriage, and to deprive them of the right to adopt is shameful.

The homophobia comes from the catholic side, same as many other evils. They fuel homophobia, transphobia and a long etc. They never learn.

From what I've seen Italy is not just mildly homophobic, but quite homophobic. Other european southern countries are more advanced on that area.

3. Typhoon

Typhoon Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    It depends which part of Italy you are in. But there is barely concealed mild contempt for gay/trans people if there is any display of it.