1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

LGBT News New TSA Rule Bad News for Trans People, Says Task Force

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by BradThePug, Mar 6, 2016.

1. BradThePug

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    More here

2. Kira

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Ever since the US discovered that trans people exist, it feels like they've been constantly trying to pass laws to make their lives even worse. I'm really hoping this doesn't turn into the trans equivalent of the Jim Crow laws, maybe the US has learned from it's mistakes but it just seems like the ones in power aren't happy unless they have more rights than somebody.

If it gets any worse I'm leaving for somewhere more free, as ironic as that is.

3. Kodo

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Good God. That is, unfortunately, my country for you.

4. DreamerBoy17

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    What was she gonna do, shoot up the plane with her dick? There is literally no need for this rule except to bully trans people.

"Anomaly." What an insult.

#4 DreamerBoy17, Mar 7, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 7, 2016
  5. Distant Echo

The thing is, trans aside, anyone has the right to dress anyway they like.
    Are they going to push the pink button for a Scotsman in a kilt?

Bloody sexist tbh. So women must look like women, and men like men. How will they determine a woman? Look for breasts? So a woman who has had a mastectomy because of breast cancer but is dressed in mannish clothes could be pulled aside for not having the right anatomy?

Can of worms.....

6. David21201

Shall I add this to the list of why I hate flying

7. AlamoCity

I honestly think this also goes bad for transmen if they use an artificial penis because it is more likely to be anomalous for a "woman" to have an "object" down there than a "man" to not have an object down there.

But, this shouldn't shock any of us because it comes with the territory of the invasion of privacy. The only reason why this happens is because this machine scans people and detects what's under our clothes and it has to make anatomical assumptions for males and females. If we are gonna keep this whole invasion of privacy thing, the best thing is maybe to let people choose the button they want to be scanned of. However, it would also be of note that it would matter how much have they transitioned. A pre-op transwoman would probably have less worries if she were to choose the blue button.

8. AlexTheGrey

Actually, I've seen reports of transmen getting flagged. Binders don't completely hide the breasts, and now the scanner thinks you may have strapped explosive to your chest. Which suggests that you can be fairly far along with HRT, but not had the operation, and something will be flagged no matter what you press.

Honestly, these things have been something I hated before I started questioning myself. Now, they are making me not want to fly ever again.

9. thepandaboss

Had this happen when flying. Got flagged, pulled aside. I got misgendered and read for female. But when they sent me through as male, I apparently didn't get flagged at all. Regardless, got a pat-down. And note, my chest sometimes gets flagged but it's no big deal for me. Just make another guy give me a patdown, not a freaking female agent.

...but keep in mind, a lot of trans men eventually pass for cis. So, no. Transmen are not going to look like "women with an artificial penis". :dry: And not all trans people get bottom surgery. Why force a trans woman to choose a blue button? Whatever happened to metal detectors or a private patdown? :frowning2: We're giving up our civil liberties for what?

#9 thepandaboss, Mar 11, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 11, 2016
  10. AlamoCity

I guess what I wanted to avoid saying is that terrorist attacks will happen and the marginal protection gained by some procedures isn't worth the marginal cost they inflict on civil liberties. Our freedom's price is sometimes our blood (e.g. A terrorist attack that could have been prevented by a gross invasion of civil rights).

I also was thinking of that case in Australia where a trans guy was treated badly because of a packer. I assumed that those back scatter machines at airports would consider packers as anomalous because they are of different density and consistency compared to human tissue. But I could be wrong.

Transgender airline passenger forced to remove prosthetic penis for check | Daily Mail Online