1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

General News New polls show drastic narrowing between Sanders and Clinton in Illinois Primary

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by Skaros, Mar 13, 2016.

1. Skaros

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Just a week ago, polls were showing Clinton dominating in Illinois by as much as 42 points.
    2 polls released now show that margin to be much more narrow. 1 recent poll shows Clinton's lead by only 6 points while another polls shows Sanders leading by 2 points.

CBS poll shows Sanders leading in a recent Illinois poll for Democrats.
    Poll: Donald Trump and John Kasich neck-and-neck in Ohio; Trump leads in Florida - CBS News
    Trump also holds a narrow lead over Cruz in Illinois and is tied with Kasich in Ohio.

In a poll conducted and published just days before the CBS one, Clinton held only a 6 point lead in Illinois.
    Polls: Trump Ahead in Florida, Illinois; Kasich Leads in Ohio - NBC News
    Trump still had 34% of the vote, but his lead over the other candidates was greater. Kasich leads in Ohio in this poll by 6 points.

This may lead to another Michigan-like victory for Sanders in Illinois, where Clinton leads by double digits in polls only to be narrowly defeated by Sanders in the primary.

My personal take on this: Sanders has recently been calling out Mayor Emanuel. And I believe he is right to slam Emanuel. He is a terrible mayor and an even more corrupt politician. He is driving this city to the ground while manipulating the system to make himself a lot of money. This may be one reason Sanders's is polls are sky rocketing, but there is no easy way to confirm that this is true.

2. Andrew99

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Hilary! (!) (!)

3. Beelzebub

Beelzebub Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    It's just one state, Hilary is well ahead of Sanders. As much as I dislike the 'falseness' she seems to have often, her values tie up closely with mine - which include a full land invasion of Syria. We're still in early days, the wheels will fall of the wagon as soon as his fanatic supporters begin to ask the simple questions like "how are we going to pay for this?", the 1% and Wall St. answer is wearing thin now.

#3 Beelzebub, Mar 13, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 13, 2016
  4. Andrew99

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I know Hilary crushed sanders again! She's getting the nomination.

5. Skaros

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Yea, she really crushed the Sanders crusaders in Michigan.

---------- Post added 13th Mar 2016 at 10:50 PM ----------

Bernie has already released his plans to pay for everything. He's prepared for all the answers. And it's not "just one state" when Michigan was also a state where Clinton dominated in polls only to lose to Sanders. Illinois is one of her home states. She went to high school in my town (a nearby suburb of Chicago). If she can't win her home state, then can she really win the GE?

Plus, Bernie has independents behind him. With the independent vote, if he gets the nomination, he would dominate the general election.

6. Andrew99

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Skaros (*hug*)

Idk how to tell you this but....Hilary has too many electoral votes! She can't lose now! :tears: and I know you guys all want Bernie Sanders but it just isn't going to happen so please stop making all these political threads because it isn't worth the exhaustion. (*hug*)

7. Skaros

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Andrew, I know what you're trying to say, but I still hold my pro-Sanders stance. I'm going to make a lengthy post, but this isn't directed completely at you. This is really directed at anyone reading. :slight_smile:

I'll start with this. She has superdelegates, and the media counts them so they make it look like she's in the lead. Superdelegates are only in the Democratic Party. They are pre-determined officials, such as politicians and committee members, who go to the convention unpledged. They are allowed to vote however they want and can change their minds whenever they want. Many superdelegates switched over to Obama in 2008 when they realized the country was leaning towards him and that he was more electable. She's only leading by roughly 200 delegates that are pledged. You need over 2000 total delegates to win the nomination.

Most major media sources are pretty bias towards Clinton. During the last Democratic debate, Sanders was a clear winner. Many sources made it seem like she managed to "take a few blows" and stay strong. When you actually watched the debate, Sanders destroyed her and it was one of the first times you see Clinton's smile go away and see her get nervous. She couldn't get a good answer to some of his questions against her. Yet, the media gives Clinton a win or they declare it a tie. That is the bias you are seeing. Corporate media manipulating the system to favor one person over the idea.

Sanders practically owned Clinton with his Wall Street comments. Yet, the media is pretending like the whole debate didn't happen or that it wasn't anything interesting. The media controls the news articles you see. Why do you think Trump got to popular? Because the media wouldn't shut up about his racist comments. If the media gave half the attention to Sanders as they did to Clinton, then Clinton wouldn't have the lead that she does now.

And even if Clinton gets the nomination: I do not care. The system is bias against Sanders, and I will not give into Clinton simply because she has a greater chance of winning. If people give in because she's more likely to be the nominee, then is there any chance at all of their favorite candidate getting the nomination? People should vote based on ideology not because someone has a better chance of winning. I will vote for Sanders on Tuesday even if Clinton were leading by 99 points.

Sanders's movement is growing enthusiasm for people to get out and vote. He's bringing attention to what Washington elites are doing to us. Before 2014, I never realized just how messed up of a system we have. Clinton has made paid speeches for Wall Street and has been given tens of millions of dollars from them. They are supporting her because she will look out for their best interests. Most of Sanders's money comes from individual contributions. It's not just Wall Street. Some banks in the United States are so powerful that them failing would result in an economic melt down. They are so powerful that we can't afford to let them fall. We would have to bail them out for their own failures just so that we don't go into an economic recession.

And a final statement: Much of what Clinton says today is what Sanders has been saying for the past 20 years. During an event, Clinton asked where Sanders was in the 90s when she was fighting for health care. In a picture, he was literally standing right behind her. Where did Sanders stand on health care in the '90s? Behind Clinton - AOL From what I've seen you post, you know she's a liar. You aren't the only person who believes this. The vast majority of Americans believe this. Independent voters, as noticed in primary elections, aren't voting for her. They are voting for Sanders because they understand his genuine concern for the average American. They won't vote for her in the general election. They'll either stay home or vote third party (or worse, Republican).

So, that is why I hold my pro-Sanders stance. Sanders has said on their worst days, they are both still 100x better than any Republican. So naturally I'll support her if she gets the nomination. BUT I don't want her to get the nomination.

8. Beelzebub

Beelzebub Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    He doesn't have the answers! Even cutting the entire US military budget will not even cover his plans!! It's one thing to be unhappy with the state of politics and another to actually come up with a solution that works. Where I live we get free tuition fees and it's absolutely killing the entire education system, it costs so much that money has to be diverted from primary, secondary and college education to pay for it. What's the result been? A widening attainment gap, 155,000 less college places EVERY YEAR (in America that would be like 10 million fewer people), a real term staff pay cut of 15% over 8 years and half the number of students from deprived backgrounds getting into university compare to England.

Take it from someone who has what you want, you don't want it, the student loan system is the most effective. Bernie's answers are like me saying I don't need to ever work again because on the bus tomorrow I'm going to find a sack containing £1million, answers are not answers if you just make them up!!

#8 Beelzebub, Mar 14, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 14, 2016
  9. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I don't know where you got the idea that the student loan system in the US is "effective", but it isn't. Well, it's effective for the 1% that own the banking system, but that's about it.

Many students are sacked with predatory loans with interest rates of up to 16%, ridiculous "default" provisions that jack up interest rates permanently if a student makes late payments, and (thanks to bribery in the form of campaign contributions), a bankruptcy system that excludes student loans, so there's virtually no way to get out of this crushing debt, ever.

Bernie may not be able to accomplish everything but he's actually published a plan that explains where the money to pay for his programs will come from... and it's reasonable and sensible. Simply by taxing the 1% at a reasonable rate (similar to the rates elsewhere in the world), a large part of the funding is raised, without touching the tax rates for anyone who earns under $250K a year, and the rates for 250K to 1M are pretty close to what they are now.

Of course, he will have a difficult time accomplishing everything he's after... but if he gets even 10% of it accomplished, and is truly not beholden to big money interests (something no other candidate can say), then really big change will happen... which is why corporate interests are doing everything possible to stop him.

10. Invidia

Invidia Guest

Far above the clouds, gazing deep below the Earth
    Huh, I just remembered, I had a dream that Bernie won the elections and became President. I kind of pity you Americans sometimes because your politics is so seriously messed up, no offense. A little skip to the left would be for the best. Plus I seriously dislike Clinton...

11. Rolando4

I'm so disappointed to be from Illinois tonight. Bernie should have won, but it was a close race here. She received 66 delegates to Bernie's 64. It's not over yet. #IllinoisForBernie

12. Jonathan

Yeah...she won by less than two percent of the vote =/

13. Lazuri

Then take into consideration that a lot of places suffered from vote suppression. By noon when all the elderly had done their thing and voted for Hillary, a lot of places mysteriously ran out of ballots.

14. Browncoat

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It is Chicago politics, after all.

15. Euler

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    A few people
    To be fair he didn't say that the US model for student loans is effective. In my country the government secures all student debt and guarantees that the interest rate will not go above certain percentage (5%). Everyone qualifies even if they have a horrible credit rating. Currently I'm paying 0.9% interest on my debt and the loan time is virtually perpetual. I know people in their 50s who are still paying back their very modest to begin with student loans because the system makes it very flexible to pay it back. I think this sort of loan system would be very effective as it doesn't exclude anyone and yet is affordable.

Completely free university education is a bad idea (although I don't know if Bernie is even advocating for it). It is a huge strain on the budget and students basically delay graduation as long as they can because why not. Education is free and the government pays student subsidies. Plus people study what they want not what makes fiscal sense. If the tax payers are paying for the education they have the right to expect that one gets a degree that pays back the investment.

16. Andrew99

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Well Clinton beat Sanders. Not by much but she did so now you can all stop talking about this. :smilewave

17. AwesomGaytheist

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Not only that, but it was a sweep.

Florida:
    Clinton 64.5%
    Sanders 33.3%

Illinois:
    Clinton 50.5%
    Sanders 48.7%

Missouri:
    Clinton 49.6%
    Sanders 49.4%

North Carolina
    Clinton 54.6%
    Sanders 40.8%

Ohio
    Clinton 56.5%
    Sanders 42.7%

18. Beelzebub

Beelzebub Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I saw that in Louisiana Sanders just scraped over 20%, it's quite clear he doesn't have the black minority vote. To me seems to be preaching to already privileged kids who think they know what others need.

19. Andrew99

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    :eusa_clap (!)

20. Austin

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm so sad that Clinton beat Sanders, but I am actually going to register to vote for the first time in my life and I will be voting Sanders. I hope California can help save him with our 400+ delegates. :slight_smile:

---------- Post added 16th Mar 2016 at 05:07 PM ----------

I don't really understand how you come to that conclusion...