1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

General News 20 year old Student from New Delhi (India) asks Zuckerberg for "On My Period" Button

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by Ram90, Mar 21, 2016.

1. Ram90

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    A 20-year-old Law Student from New Delhi, India wrote a letter to Mark Zuckerberg asking him to incorporate an "On My Period" icon/button on FB.

I'm not sure how true this is, but I'm all for it. Again, I'm don't experience menstruation so I'm not entirely capable of thinking about the pros and cons of doing this.

There's been pro and anti comments on this so far. I'm curious to see what members of EC think? Thoughts?

This 20-Year-Old Woman Wrote An Open Letter To Facebook Asking For An "On My Period” Button

Delhi Student Asks Mark Zuckerberg For An

2. 741852963

Re: 20 year old Student from New Delhi (India) asks Zuckerberg for "On My Period" But

As an ex Facebook user I'm actually more surprised it isn't already on there given how generally trashy the site can be, and how much over-disclosing it encourages from users.

I don't see why Facebook would refuse, I don't think it is "that" shocking a statement. It is just a bodily function like saying "I have a headache" or "I feel sick". Of course it can be a bit annoying when some women use it as an excuse to justify being generally aggressive and irritable, but at the end of the day they do this in real life so why not online too?

#2 741852963, Mar 21, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 21, 2016
  3. Andrew99

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Re: 20 year old Student from New Delhi (India) asks Zuckerberg for "On My Period" But

People still use Facebook? :grin:

4. Matto_Corvo

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone

Yes I do as I'm not a fan of twitter or instagram. Facebook is my main way of staying in contact with most people I know, most of whom do not use other social medias themselves.

5. Lazuri

It's the world's largest social network by a massive margin; of course they do.

6. cakepiecookie

I'm all for reducing the taboo over periods, but I don't see how having a Facebook button would help.

7. ouji

ouji Guest

Meh. I would say I'm against it. Personally, I think its a terrible idea. Not that it would really matter. I left Facebook long ago.

8. Sagume Kishin

Doesn't this seem a bit too... private to give out?
    Although, given how much information people give away on Facebook already I'm not suprised.

I'm against giving out all of your personal info on the internet regardless. :icon_conf

9. Canterpiece

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone

Oh I can just imagine what pages like "Men's humour" would say on this. As for removing the taboo on periods, I think it would actually do the opposite. People would use it as a excuse for saying bitchy things on Facebook.

Yes periods suck, they hurt, ruin your clothes and exclude you from doing certain activities such as swimming. You have to avoid light colours such as white for obvious reasons when it comes to clothes. It can make simple things like sitting down and standing up sometimes painful, and you can never seem to be comfortable. If you bleed through then you have to come up with awkward solutions like wrapping your cardigan/jacket/whatever over the stain. It makes you crave sugary things but if you have too much sugar then your cramps can get worse. And this tampon tax is nonsense. So crocodile meat is an essential but something that will stop you from bleeding everywhere (including seats and general surroundings as well as clothes) is a luxury? Pft.

But I don't think this button is going to help anything, and is more than likely just to become a joke if it is put in place.

#9 Canterpiece, Mar 25, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 25, 2016