1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Lesbians in high school vs. gays

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by 2qt2bblond, Feb 18, 2009.

1. 2qt2bblond

I wasn't really sure where to put this thread, this seemed like the best place.
    anyhoo: When I came out to my best friends one of them said that there didn't seem to be any lesbians in our school. There are, however, tons of gay guys. I was wondering why it seems that more guys come out in high school than the girls? I was thinking it was because girls are generally more closer to their friends, and it might freak the friends out to know they've been cuddling or hugging (or something) with a girl who turned out to be gay. Ideas on this subject???

2. We didn't have any lesbians either, just bi girls (legitimate bi girls not the ones who wanted attention) and a lot of gays. What you said though is something I've thought about a lot. A lot of the time I think it takes girls longer to figure out they're gay or not because they're allowed to be close to their friends. So that could also be a factor.

3. casjerem

casjerem Guest

Really, it was actually the opposite in my high school. I came out in college, but I knew for some time that I was gay. I know that in my high school, I only knew two lesbians, and not a single gay guy. I think the fact that if there were any gay guys in my school, they weren't going to come out because for some reason, guys who were gay were a taboo. They didn't find it right, but they accepted the idea of lesbians.

4. littledinosaurs

My school is full of lesbians. I don't think its more common for a boy to come out verses a girl in high school. Dunno though
    *shrugs*

5. carrie90

Originally Montana but currently San Fransisco
    when i started high school nobody admitted 2 being gay it was a closeted school but now the tide is turning and ppl are coming out but there are more guys i dunno why

6. riddlerno1

well no-one admitted to being gay at my high school, even though it was a fairly easy going place, being gay was the worst thing you could be so no-one was out. However i left school 10 years ago so hopefully its different now.

7. GlindaRose

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    There's def-o more out girls than guys at my school. There's like, one guy...and 2 lesbians (Me included) and a couple of bi girls.

8. bruenor92

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    umm, there r tons of lesbians in my school that r extremely open about it, i mean super extremly, and there r gay guys, bu thtey think noone knows, which is ridiculous because there is no way in heaven or hell that they could possibly be any gaye. i think that girls come out more than the guys bcuz most girls r more acceptin and understandin of the matter than most guys. and it sucks cuz everyone that actually knows about me is a girl and i know i cant tell any of my guy friends cuz then it would be a very awkward friendship.

9. Nodnarb

It's the exact opposite at my school. At least two openly lesbian couples that I know, a couple bi girls, and just two gay guys. We had another bi guy, but he moved away.

10. MusicIsLife

When i was in high school there were more gay guys and no out lesbians. at the time i was calling myself bisexual cause it was so common and at the same time i wasnt entirely sure if i was gay or straight or whatever. In College i came out, and im glad i waited cause a number of my friends freaked out.

11. Thatsit

I know of only a few gay guys in my school and I think maybe three or four bi girls. I've only seen one gay couple though and they are girls. I'm actually not sure if two of them are bi or gay though. I don't know, I feel like the order would be more gay guys, then bi girls, then lesbians. I don't know of any bi guys though...

12. joss22

At my school, no one is actually out per se, but there are definitely a couple of gay guys and lesbians. I am in a liberal MA town though, so being out is not a big deal, even though no one is officially gay or bi that I know of.

13. Bryan44

I graduated in a class of close to 600 people and I only knew 3 out gay guys. But i knew lots of lesbians. Everyone was really mean to gay people though

14. someguy82

There weren't any out gay guys at the school I graduated from. That said, it was a DODDs school in Belgium and my graduating class was 25 people.

15. silas99

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I've had a crappy homophobic day and your statement just tipped the iceberg for today! If we go on law of averages, at least 60 people are gay from your graduating year...and only 3 are out. At this very minute I am hating society!!!!:tantrum:

16. someguy82

At this point I'm starting to blame myself for not being out more than society.

17. Étoile

I'm not sure how many lesbians to gays we have at my school, but the lesbians are much more out and proud than we are. I know like 5 out lesbians who regularly flirt and lock arms with each other and jokingly with straight girls. I don't know a single out gay guy who does this. I flirt and tease with guys a lot lately, but it's always jokingly, hardly ever serious.

18. jazzrawr

I think at my school it's basically even, maybe a few more lesbians. I do think that in some situations, it's 'easier' for guys to come out, if they have mostly female friends, but it's harder for girls. It all depends on the friends. I know it's harder for me to come out because I'm a cuddly person with my female friends, and they'd be freaked out.

19. silas99

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Ah but you see the reason you aren't out is because of society. It can also be said that by not coming out we are not helping society to accept us for being different from the norm. Swings and roundabouts I guess. But then you could also say that a person with brown skin doesn't actively have to say "I'm an African-American", because its plain for the eye to see; yet in many parts of the world rascism still exists. If society fully accepted homosexuality then there wouldnt be a reason for you to come out in the first place.

20. SirBoobalot

It seems to me that, while numbers of gay guys and lesbians are fairly equal at my college (equivalent of the last two years of US high school), more people know about the gay guys.
    Obviously the stereotype of skintight jeans and Rasmus hair on gay guys doesn't describe all of them - but it does some; and as such everyone knows that x, y and z are all gay because, well, how could they not be. Whereas the lesbians are harder to spot - there's a group of about ten girls, six or seven of them are gay; and I only found this out because one of my friends goes way back with a couple of them. They're out, it's just not so obvious.