1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

LGBT News NUS tells LGBT societies to abolish gay men’s reps because they don’t face oppression

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by Blackbirdz, Mar 25, 2016.

1. Blackbirdz

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Thoughts?

#1 Blackbirdz, Mar 25, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 25, 2016
  2. sam the man

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Re: NUS tells LGBT societies to abolish gay men’s reps because they don’t face oppres

I just... do I need to go into detail about how ridiculous this is?

3. HunterRaven

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Re: NUS tells LGBT societies to abolish gay men’s reps because they don’t face oppres

Well this is incredibly unfunnily ironic

4. Sagume Kishin

I'd like to imagine most LGBT groups would handle Racism, Sexism, Biphobia and Transphobia on their own. Afterall, such spaces such as empty closets only work if everyone involved is seen as equal.
    Basically, abolishing gay men's reps in groups with representatives for every group won't really change anything. It'll just undermine that value of equality between all of us.

On the otherhand, some LGBT people ARE like that, which is hypocritical to the max. :bang:
    Abolishing prejudice in LGBT societies where it does exist is good.
    The way NUS is going about it is not.

And Kira has a point. The more of us have a voice, the louder we can speak.

#4 Sagume Kishin, Mar 25, 2016
  5. Kira

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people

The thing is we're all minorities, and the way I see it it's best to stick together. I don't really understand this type of thinking at all. The less people in the group, the quieter the voice. It just seems like it would make us easier to stomp on as a whole.

6. Pret Allez

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people

I oppose this, but only because it's politically expedient to do so.

7. DreamerBoy17

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone

No, gay men face a unique set of challenges that need to still be addressed within LGBT circles and elsewhere, really. What about gay men of color, or financially challenged gay men, or gay men with HIV? While white cisgender gay men may have a slightly easier time then others in the community, it's better for us not to split our already small group. Also, maybe white gay men with privilege could use that position of power to lend their voices to more marginalized sections of the community.

#7 DreamerBoy17, Mar 25, 2016
  8. Soundwave

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people

*facepalm x3.6million*

9. C P

C P

Didn't you know that nobody gives a flying fuck about us lgbt folk of color(among other minorities)? We're virtually nonexistent to such people...

I suppose next lesbians will need nobody because everybody(ie straight guys) loves them?

/logic

10. Nordland

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone

* face concrete after falling 16 stories of a building*

Clearly these people have not been to Russia

11. RainDreamer

Reminds me of Mexican immigrants who support Trump (yes, there are some).

12. springroll

springroll Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay

I support the move, in fact it would have been better if they had simply tried to ban cis gay men. The more lunatic their decisions are, the sooner they will collapse. I despise NUS. I'm not a white guy, but this antics feels like a personal attack to me. In their warped vision of inclusivity, they are ironically trying to exclude a group merely based on gender and skin color. Pardon my language, they are a bunch of racist and sexist fucks! I don't want to be associated with an organization that refuses to condemn ISIS because 'Islamphobia' and no-platforms gay rights activists and numerous other people who don't share their twisted morality. So, do us a favor and drop the G and the rest of the letters from your clutch.

13. wolf of fire

Really? Are we sure about this?

14. Euler

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    A few people

My irony-o-meter just exploded.

15. JasmineTea

What the hell? Is this real? This sounds like an article from the Onion or something, holy crap. I can't believe real, actual LGBTQ+ people think like this. Sure, yeah- white cis gay men might have it off easier than some other minorities in the community, but that doesn't mean their lives are perfect and they face no oppression. I can't even comprehend this. Why would a group of queer people turn against their own? The last thing we need right now is to be divided.

16. Libertino

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people

Welcome to the world of SJWs, third-wave feminists, and PC police. If gay men are too "privileged" now, then why are straight women included? Surely their straight privilege balances out their female disadvantage. The Oppression Olympics sure is a tough competition.

Just another organization to add to my ever-expanding shitlist.

17. Fighter694

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay

What they claim is very true (regarding misogyny racism and transphobia) but that's not the way to solve the problem! And obviously not all gay men do all that.

18. Euler

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    A few people

I was just about to make a comment that the annual Oppression Olympics seem to have commenced. :slight_smile: There is a joke that the winner must be a black lesbian transwoman bound to a wheelchair and having an eye patch. She is a muslim and has a debilitating personality disorder. She got no job, no degree and she is broke. Can't beat that.

19. Libertino

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people

^Should she be Muslim, though, or Jewish? Hard to say which one could be more of a stigma.

Anyway, one thing I wanted to say: the people fighting for causes like this often seem surprised that cis men are not on their side or feel disconnected and isolated from it, but can you blame them? You want us to support you, but then you come out and literally isolate us by saying "YOU DON'T BELONG".

20. springroll

springroll Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay

^identify as non-human transage and transethnic?