1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

LGBT News UK study on mental health in LGB individuals.

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by Canterpiece, Mar 28, 2016.

1. Canterpiece

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Lesbian, Gay, And Bi Brits Are At Much Higher Risk Of Mental Health Problems, A Big Study Has Found - BuzzFeed News

2. Skaros

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Well of course. Being bullied at a young and worrying about being disowned by your parents can have serious long-term mental health effects. I'm sure trans people get just as many or even worse mental disorders because of what they face in their lives.

3. Kira

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I can somewhat get this, when straight guys refuse to leave me alone it makes it quite hard to proceed with my sanity intact. And when the whole local community feels I'm an "evil devil worshipper" it doesn't necessarily help.

4. Ryu

Ryu

^
    What's wrong with being an evil devil worshipper?

5. Kodo

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Well, I think any transgender person can tell you depression is pretty common with us. Sadly, there are also startlingly high rates of suicide in the trans* community (with nearly half of youth under 20 attempting suicide).

There is also correlation of body image and eating disorders among trans-people, particularly pre-transition.

And another study indicated higher prevalence of autistic symptoms within the FTM community.

Most of these are completely understandable, considering what trans* individuals often have to go through.

#5 Kodo, Apr 2, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 2, 2016
  6. Michael

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I wouldn't give much credit to that. It's not being LGBT, but the problems that come with it, and how poorly our enviroment prepares the youth to cope with them (if they do such a thing at all)

FTMs in a closet are not expected to behave like men, that's where the whole 'autism' diagnose comes from, among whatever they want to 'diagnose' us with. Trans are killing themselves because to face living in the streets and losing your family and friends would do a lot of psychological damage to anyone, not because they are trans.

7. anonym

anonym Guest

About the autistic symptoms in ftms, I was convinced I was on the spectrum but my professional diagnosis has come back negative. I can only assume my mental ill health mimicked autism which is why I thought I had it. I have anxiety, depression, body image issues and have had an eating disorder in the past. These things began in childhood and most of it was actually not a direct consequence of my dysphoria but bullying and thinking I was a lesbian and my family would disown me. Ever since I realized I liked girls and that was "wrong" I thought about suicide. I knew the day my family found out I would have to kill myself and that became a self fulfilling prophecy which I felt compelled to go through with.

8. RavenTheRat

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Hmm......
    I've many a times considered I'm ftm trans, and I'm really starting to lean towards that conclusion, but ah, gender's a bitch, so on and so fourth.
    I was diagnosed with autism at the age of 5. I also have anxiety... but that's honestly because of my fear of my parents finding out I'm queer, with a bit of social anxiety thrown in.