1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

LGBT News Idaho wedding chapel can sue city over human rights ordinance

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by BradThePug, Mar 30, 2016.

1. BradThePug

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people

More here

2. Soundwave

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    *facepalm* priests can refuse anyone they always had the right

3. Kira

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I wonder if people had issues like this back when interracial marriage was legalized, sure there were idiots yelling at the tops of their lungs and carrying ridiculous signs but I wonder if there were this many legal complications?

4. Benway

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I don't see why gay people would want to get married in a church, considering how many of us are atheists-- I'm not, but even if I wanted to marry another man I'd get married at my county courthouse before a judge instead of a priest. Legally the judge can't refuse that, now and ironically would be far less judgemental about the whole thing.

I'm not saying that church's refusing to marry us is right, but I am saying courthouses are far more accommodating and are essentially built like churches. You could probably fit fifty or sixty guests into a courtroom if you wanted to and made all the arrangements right and it would be giving the finger to the local church that refused to let you get married because ultimately you'd be getting married which is what the churches apparently don't want.

#4 Benway, Mar 30, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 30, 2016
  5. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    For a lot of people who have strong religious faith, being married in a church is something they place a high value on. And there's nothing wrong with that.

At the same time, I'm not really comfortable with forcing a religious institution, such as a church whose sincerely held doctrine is against gay marriage, to go against their beliefs. I feel like that's in a different category than, say, a secular business in the business of selling wedding cakes refusing to sell one to a gay couple.

(For that matter... for the dumbassed bigots refusing to do a cake for a gay wedding... I'd advocate they just say they're booked up for that period, or quote a ridiculous price, or something like that. Avoid the issue entirely rather than being all pious and holier-than-thou.)

6. SneakyBuffalo

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I've never been, but my sister did get married there. I think that was her first husband. I think she is with husband number four now though so...:eusa_doh::eusa_clap