1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Politcally (in)correct - steryo-typing

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by Crackajack, Feb 19, 2009.

1. Crackajack

Crackajack Guest

:shrug::shrug::shrug: I was watching this Programme ,just now, about "political correctness" about race-relations, sexuality, weight, etc.

i was most interested to see how the early programmes in the 70's and 80's were steryo-typing gay people, It didn't mention bi's so i can't realy say. I got the jist that gay people were seen (back then) to where checkered fur coats and floppy flowered hats etc. I, for one, am glad it's changed :thumbsup:. i think that's still what homosexuals and maybe some bisexuals are seen as today really.
    what do you think?

Ta.
    James :icon_wink

#1 Crackajack, Feb 19, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 19, 2009
  2. pirateninja

Funny thing is, we as a community have to accept that there will be some people are stereotypes. We've got the butch "FUCK YEAH POWERTOOLS" lesbian and the twinky "OMG I JUST BROKE A NAIL" gay guys. I think in shows nowadays, although sometimes they focus too much on the stereotypes, we have a much better mix of shows that say "Hang on there, yes, there are butch lesbians and twinky gay guys, but we also have masculine gay guys and feminine lesbians."

Personally, I find stereotypes hilarious, and not just gay and lesbian stereotypes. Any kind of stereotype can be funny; I find that they mock the people who believe in the stereotype more than the stereotype itself :grin:

3. Greggers

Guilty as charged :frowning2:

Stereotypes suck because they group everyone together, but they also suck because some guys and girls ARE like this (myself being one of them) and it really sucks when your the person that gets branded as "the bad kind of gay" because your really femmy or really butch. You always hear people talking about how "oh, most gay guys dont act femmy only the bad ones" and its often gay guys saying it. I think its almost easier to be gay or lesbian and not fit into a stereotype, because when people see that you dont fit into a gay stereotype you dont get the bad things like are tagged to them and are less likely to get harassed for it in public.

I sometimes find myself acting LESS femmy on EC because i want to fit in with all the people who are not anything like the stereotypes, very ironic if you think about it. (i type this as im listening to Cher, five points for me :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:)

*Wanted to add in, good post Holly. that about summed it up without my help :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

4. pirateninja

Thanks LiL :grin:

I'll admit, some of the lipstick lesbians around Wolvo here have often chatsised me for being a more masculine lesbian, apparently because I'm "feeding the stereotype" as it were. Annoying yes, but I guess it's slightly understandable.

I've learned to not really care what people think. If people want to decide how much they like me on account of my stereotypical lesbianness, then it's their loss. I'll grace people who like me for who I am with my stereotypical presence. :grin:

5. Maddy

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I was actually discussing these stereotypes with some other queer people on the way to Pride this year, and managed to say the power tools line a bit too loudly, on a crowded tram. I got some funny looks.
    I think the bi stereotype is someone who has both a boyfriend and a girlfriend, and/or has random indiscriminate group sex with whoever comes along.

6. Crackajack

Crackajack Guest

I wouldn't do that :dry: hehe, besides, i wouldn't "2 time" or whatever its called, i don't get the chance :eusa_liar :icon_wink

7. Wander

Wander Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Political correctness as in euphemisms to cover up a proven truth pisses me off.

In regards to blatant stereotyping on TV, it annoys me but I can kind of see the reasoning. Sort of. TV programs only have 30-60 minutes at a time to get a point across, and having a stereotype of a character gets the point across really fast. Instead of spending a whole episode or two explaining why this guy is gay even though he wears heavy coats and loose pants and hates Tyra, they can paint him up and give him a fauxhawk and tight clothes and a lisp and as soon as he walks on screen, the audience says "Yep, I knew it". Still, I hate it for all the times I've had people think "There's no way he can be gay, he doesn't do this or look like that".

8. carrie90

Originally Montana but currently San Fransisco
    i think we just have to take these stereotypes with a pinch of salt because in TV shows there just ment to be entertaining and it doesnt matter how other people see you its if your comfortable with yourself.

I dont pay attention to them cause i have long blond hair and wear skirts alot i have no desire to cut my hair and wear male clothes like the stereotype says i should

9. Nugget

Umm...

FUCK YEAH HANGNAIL.

10. starfish

I have very few if any of the stereotypical gay attributes. I often find my self worrying that I will not fit in because I am not gay enough.

You what though. We are who we are. So we should not let peoples perceptions change that. If they don't like it, screw 'em.

11. littledinosaurs

I don't think the stereotypes have changed and it sucks a lot.
    Because i'm bi people(usually people in the gay community) are afraid that I'm some slutty cheater, and because i like men most straight people see me as this "eternal flame."
    It is the most annoying thing ever and i honestly absolutely dislike people who fit those two stereotypes because they make my life harder.

12. crystaltriforce

(*hug*) chere up. you shouldn't care what those assholes think

13. littledinosaurs

I think its more that i have a resentment for those who fit the stereotype than i am annoyed by people who believe in the stereotype....
    :|

14. You should never change yourself because I like your lesbianism just the way it is =]

15. The Enigma

The Enigma Guest

Lol to hell with political correctness. If we all played coy and heeded these strange laws then there would be no diversity and woman would never have a voice.

16. Wander

Wander Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I can see your point. Sometimes I get annoyed at outrageous stereotypes in the public eye, like Chris Crocker and every male on Bravo, who perpetuate stereotypes like that and make things so much harder for people who DON'T fit them.

17. I was told by a lesbian friend once, "Don't trust bi chicks." It made me feel awesome. :dry:

18. SexyTimeInTent

Southend-On-Sea, Essex, South East, England
    haha. it would be usefully if stereotypes were accurate, but most of the time they're not.
    ironically I'm trying to make myself more dykeish as it doesn't seem obvious enough. :slight_smile: lol