1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

General News The Panama Papers - UK PM David Cameron's father evades tax

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by 741852963, Apr 7, 2016.

1. 741852963

Surprised nobody has commented on this one.

This week the leak of Panama law firm Mossack Fonseca has revealed the dodgy financial arrangements of many politicians, businessmen and celebrities the world over.

The Icelandic PM has already been forced to resign over findings that he evaded tax.

(Unfortunately) the UK Prime Minister has dodged any serious consequences, despite showing signs of extreme hypocrisy. In the past he has preached that he is fighting tax evasion, and even publically condemned celebrities who used such measures as "morally wrong". All this whilst his own father's company has avoided paying any UK tax for 30 years, with Cameron in receipt of vast amounts of wealth from the same.

Put simply David Cameron has absolutely benefited substantially from his father's evasion, and so for Cameron to maintain that this is "a private matter" or that because he and his family "will not gain from offshore funds in future" is not good enough.

Now some have argued that David or his dad have done little wrong, that their corruptly obtained increased wealth will eventually end up in UK taxes via VAT/through greater spending. But that is not the point. Why should these wealthy elite be granted a reduced tax rate and subsequently a wealthier lifestyle when smaller businesses and poorer individuals are being taxed greater, and having their benefits (welfare) slashed?

David Cameron's party have already tried this year to drastically reduce welfare payments to the most severely disabled people. Many of these vulnerable people already have to survive on essentially less than the minimum wage, and that is before the cuts. So for Cameron to shrug such corruption aside is simply unacceptable.

Thoughts?

2. Euler

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Just because his name came up on the list DOES NOT mean he evaded taxes. It's more than likely that the arrangement was perfectly LEGAL. It might not be moral but just because it's immoral does not mean it's a crime.

3. 741852963

It is legal, but that isn't the point.

The point (or rather points) are:
    1. This most certainly is tax evasion. It is deliberately moving funds and companies offshore solely with the aim to evade paying higher rate UK tax. At present we essentially have two categories. Illegal tax evasion (which is what HMRC will bother to chase - people actively lying about domestic taxes) and legal tax evasion (only available to the very wealthy - utilising tax havens and offshore accounts).

For this NOT to be tax evasion and instead be a perfectly legitimate business decision then key decision making for the company (Blairmore) would have to be done in the country it is registered to (Panama). All current evidence suggests decision making remained firmly in the UK.

2. He has actively condemned others who use these same practices (stating it is "morally wrong" behaviour) whilst defending his father doing exactly the same

3. He has claimed to be "tough on tax evasion" and use of offshore tax havens in the past, whilst again standing idly by whilst his father benefited from this scheme. Incidentally his father-in-law has a Scottish estate registered in the Bahamas to avoid paying certain duties!

4. He has been in receipt of vast sums of money which he now cannot deny is partially the result of this tax evasion, so he cannot claim to have "never benefited" as he has. That is a lie.

5. Again at a time of mass welfare cuts taken by his party, this blasé attitude to this "morally wrong" behaviour done solely to enable the already astronomically rich elite become even richer (at the detriment to the UK coffers and ultimately the majority of UK citizens) is unnaceptable. Doctors salaries are being cut, NHS funds are being cut, council funds are being cut etc etc. We rely on tax to fund these things so evading tax in such a calculated manner is not a victimless "behaviour".

http://www.theguardian.com/news/201...-profited-fathers-offshore-fund-panama-papers

If Cameron had nothing to hide, or truly felt nothing wrong had been done why has it taken five revised statements to admit to having held shares? He is creating a smokescreen using his usual tactic of shifting the attention onto a seperate issue.

It was exactly the same with the expenses scandal, he kept pushing the attention away from his own dodgy expenses (involving claiming ludicrous amounts from the tax payer for a second mortgage he cannot be said to have needed, given he is a multi-millionaire) by saying "this is a wider issue we need to address".

#3 741852963, Apr 7, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 7, 2016
  4. Joelouis

It's not just David Cameron that has benefitted from Tax Avoidance schemes and investments. Many others have as well.
    Labour has called for his resignation yet were they not part of the expenses scandal like many other politicians?

How many of us - if we were honest enough to tell the truth and not hide behind pretended morals - would opt out of paying tax if we were able? I would for sure.

5. Euler

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    A few people
    No, the legality is the key question in here and that what is I am challenging you.

There very definition of tax evasion is "an illegal practice where a person, organization or corporation intentionally avoids paying his/her/its true tax liability". The tax evasion you call legal is called "tax planning", "tax minimization" or "tax avoidance".

Tax Evasion Definition | Investopedia

It's important to use the correct terminology not to create more confusion among the public. I'm not saying that what he did was morally right or non-hypocritical but it's not right to accuse him of a crime that he most likely did not commit. Laws should reflect what is deemed morally acceptable. If planning taxes is deemed immoral it should be made illegal.

6. PatrickUK

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I find it somewhat intriguing that David Cameron sold all of the shares immediately before becoming Prime Minsiter in 2010. All the time he was Leader of the Opposition he had the benefit of those shares in Blairmore Holdings. If it was all squeaky clean and above board, why ditch the shares?

I don't think there is any suggestion of illegality, but Cameron has opened himself up to questions as a result of his own behaviour. He has also opened himself up to charges of hypocrisy after attacking celebrities who used the very same tax avoidance schemes. If it was "morally wrong" for them, it has to be the same for him.

7. Joelouis

I think that people in the public eye - especially politicians - would be better off if they made sure their houses were in order before they took their positions. It probably wouldn't look so bad for them afterwards.

8. imnotreallysure

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I think that, yes, many of us would opt to pay for less tax if given the choice, but most ordinary people don't have the means to avoid paying tax, and even if they did that wouldn't make it right. Taxes go to many vital public services without which this nation would be significantly worse off. We all have a duty to pay a fair amount of tax - we all take advantage of public services.

From a personal point of view, I wouldn't feel comfortable avoiding tax, even using legal loopholes. I definitely do not want to contribute to the further degradation of the UK's public services.

In any case, a tricky period for the Tories - I see Cameron resigning, but there isn't anyone particularly good to replace him - or at least, nobody that isn't contaminated by scandals or incompetency. John Major repeated?

#8 imnotreallysure, Apr 8, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 8, 2016
  9. 741852963

I'm going to have to disagree with you I think.

Why should we continue to be so concerned about separating them when A. the actual terminology bears very little difference semantically and B. the intent and structure behind the "offences" is so similar.

I think pigeonholing the two is part of the problem - they really have to be discussed in the same arena.

To expand on that:

A.
    Tax evasion. If you actually look up the word "evasion" in a dictionary or thesaurus "avoidance" is the definition/synonym. Put simply evading tax is avoiding tax and vice versa. Of course not legally, but colloquially certainly.

Thus my statements that Cameron's father has evaded tax are perfectly legitimate in colloquial use. He has (legally) evaded the payment of tax. That cannot even be said to be a libellous statement, using common use definitions of the words it is a statement of fact.

B.
    Look up the definition of tax evasion and you'll find something along the lines of "using false information or falsifying records to minimise tax". This is exactly what has happened.

Take two examples:
    A. A small UK company claiming it's operation is smaller than reality to ensure a reduced tax bill/more profits
    B. A large UK business claiming it's core operation is based overseas to ensure a reduced tax bill/more profits

See a difference? Aside from the archaic laws stating the bottom is criminal and the bottom perfectly legal, not a whole lot of difference. In both instances we have companies deliberately obfuscating the reality of their business to help them avoid/evade tax and make more profit.

I would certainly not, not unless this opt out was applied universally.

I benefit from the NHS, from council services, policing etc, and I witness countless others who are through no fault of their own heavily reliant on the results of the tax service. Unless taxes were completely abolished (in an environment of universal increased wealth and privatisation) then I accept that I must pay taxes proportional to my earnings.

A valid point, and yes is the answer. There are a few differences though here I feel:
    -The Conservatives are the governing party and it is the job of the Shadow party to hold them to repute
    -The Conservatives (and their donors) are vastly more wealthy and less socially mobile thn other parties so I think the bar is even higher. They are much less in financial need, yet are exploiting the systems much worse. It goes from being morally wrong to being obscene
    -On the above point considering how heavily the Conservative party has crippled those in need over the last 6 years (the lower classes and/or vulnerable) whilst helping the rich, this further makes their actions disgraceful.

I don't, he is like Teflon.

And if Osborne can literally get away scot-free after fiddling the budget (see the vast black holes) and having to have it overhauled in parts, then I think Cameron is safe as houses unfortunately.

#9 741852963, Apr 8, 2016
  10. HuskyPup

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I've always thought Cameron is a horrible snob out to look after the interests of the wealthy; I hope this gets rid of him, finally.

#10 HuskyPup, Apr 8, 2016
  11. Joelouis

I'm no fan of Cameron but he seems a better alternative to Corbyn.

#11 Joelouis, Apr 8, 2016
  12. HuskyPup

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Oh, also: When I first read this, I thought it said,

"The Pajama Papers"

And I was hoping for something a bit more spicy...

13. imnotreallysure

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Well, I definitely don't see it. Corybn is the type of guy you'd trust to park your car. I wouldn't trust Cameron to walk my dog - he'd probably try and privatise him or flog him off to the Chinese for half the original price, such is the Tory way. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

#13 imnotreallysure, Apr 8, 2016
  14. radicalmuffins

Out Status:
    A few people
    I do not think politicians are the most honest people in the world so this does not come off as a surprise to me. There are other concerning matters that need to be attended to. It is quite unfortunate that Cameron and his relatives were part of this major tax evasion scandal. However, I am more concerned about the upcoming referendum in June. I'm afraid that this will affect the results and instead of having a sound and logical reason for voting, people would be motivated by anger and confusion instead- not very good for Britain.

15. Euler

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    A few people
    No, the real problem is the people who fail to grasp that the tax code is the problem and are too lazy to inform themselves about it. If we don't want to people to minimize their taxes through offshore investment arrangements then the tax code needs to be amended. Rules are there so that we can know what can and cannot be done. Just because the end purpose is the same does not mean that the two acts are equal.

The relevant word to check in the dictionary is not the words "to avoid" vs. "evade" but "tax evasion" vs. "tax avoidance". If you check the Oxford dictionary you will see that the meaning of tax evasion is very different from tax avoidance.

Before talking to you I have never heard anyone talking about "legal tax evasion" (which is oxymoron). All the people who I have talked about this issue know the difference between tax evasion vs. tax avoidance. Calling "tax avoidance" "tax evasion" even colloquially is equivalent of calling a boxing fight in the ring a "battery".

Did Cameron's father actually falsify records or information? I'm not entirely familiar with the details of this case but my understanding was that this was not the case. Just because you keep your holding company in a tax haven doesn't mean it's tax evasion.

It is entirely besides the point to compare the two situations to each other. The relevant question is was the tax code followed. You cannot and you should not punish someone for following the rules as the whole point of rules is to outline what can be done and what cannot be done. You wouldn't accept a punishment to yourself if you followed the rules even if someone feels that you have done morally wrong. If people feel that the rules are unjust then the rules need to be changed, not to burn those who we don't like on a stake. Soviet Union was a place where you could follow the law and still get punished because the Party feels that your actions were not to their liking.

16. PatrickUK

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    :roflmao:

17. springroll

springroll Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Meh. Skimming through the news I don't really see any big issue here, just the media hypes things up and plays into people's natural resentment of the wealthy and politicians. As usual.
    Beside, nothing can top "Cameron put his dick in a pig's mouth"

18. Benway

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I'm not trying to be funny here, but isn't David Cameron the fellow who had sex with the mouth of a dead pig?

19. lemons123

threadkiller much?? 0_0

Anyway, I am no expert here but I am sure some folks, especially UKIP will interpret this as "The EU made it possible for Cameron to hide taxes, hence he wants us to stay in the EU".

I don't think there is any connection whatsoever with EU or German banks or whatever but I'm sure people like Farage and Le Penn will find a way to blame it on the EU, even when Le Penn's father is also in the "mud".

20. radicalmuffins

Out Status:
    A few people
    I don't think they'd be that daft to blame it on the EU though. Hahahaha I think this will have an effect on the people who are skittering between voting in or out. I mean Cameron is for the EU so without a doubt, this scandal might affect his campaign to remain within the union... You know how it works~ Tainted reputation makes people doubtful about his leadership.

People are calling him to resign but I really do not see anyone else who is fit to be the PM. Exciting times for the UK. The most exciting it has ever been since the world war and the beatles.