1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

LGBT News ESPN fires analyst Curt Schilling over anti-transgender post

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by BradThePug, Apr 21, 2016.

1. BradThePug

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    More here

2. RainDreamer

Ouch. The age of social media hasn't been kind to these people. I hope that he was fired because deserves it and not because companies want to pinkwash with firing people who are just a bit ignorant. Ignorant people can be informed and they might turned around, but making them suffer just means more enemies.

3. GeeLee

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Schillings got previous for stupidly offensive posts on social media, so he can't exactly claim he's not been given a fair shake. Doubling down on it doesn't help either.

4. Kasey

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    So... he's attacked any democrat, Muslims and trans people now. Very nice.

Also. The whole deviant 40 year old in a dress thing. Yea. Let me tell you something.

More cis normative heterosexual males kidnap little girls than any "transgender" person.

5. Adray

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    He was never a great baseball analyst, either, just a former star player with questionable broadcasting talent. His replacement, Jessica Mendoza, is a former women's softball star who has a great sense of humor and offers a nice change of pace and different insights.

Schilling's nasty comments were what caused it, but ESPN got better twice, by firing him and by hiring Mendoza.

6. Invidia

Invidia Guest

Far above the clouds, gazing deep below the Earth
    Not that I care about baseball or whatever this was about, but I don't like the idea of xenophobes in any kind of public spaces, so I think this is for the best.

7. Browncoat

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    He's always been a religious nutcase. Was only a matter of time.

8. RawringSnake

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    [​IMG]

9. Jellal

Honestly, they didn't fire him because they're "good" people doing the "morally right thing." This is all about public image.
    It's a pretty common umbrella reason to fire somebody.
    One I don't agree with, but in the cutthroat corporate world it's the law of the fucking jungle.

10. RawringSnake

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Oh no. Oh no no no.

First off, I would like to say that personally I really don't care what their intentions were behind the firing, I care about the results. Whether it came from the goodness of their hearts, the depths of their assholes or their fear of public outcry, the fact and the matter is that a message has been delivered and the message is loud and clear: transphobia will not be tolerated. That's what matters to me, their reasoning behind it is irrelevant.

Now, I could also argue that the last thing we need is more "safe spaces" for bigots to spew their bigotry free of judgement—the world has been their safe space for the last millennium—but I digress. What I really wanted to point out is that this is wholly warranted simply because he is a public figure, a notoriety he actively profits off and intended to use to his advantage in order to sway people to his bigot stance. When you make a living out of being loud and about, you don't get to cherry-pick when your statements matter or how should people react to them, putting yourself out there is the name of the game and with that comes the risk that you'll get shot down for your ideas. That is the nature of notoriety; it's a double edged sword, and he got a pretty sweet deal out of it up until this point, so no, I don't lament the fact that this once he got the raw end of it. Call it an "occupational hazard."

And just to be clear, this isn't something that was found out by underhanded ways like tapping his house phone or leaked emails or what have you, no one's privacy was violated here nor were his words misconstrued in any way. He went public as public can be, out of his own volition, with his stance on the whole bathroom controversy. Did anyone ask for his opinion? No, but he gave it anyway, and he is free to do so, just as his company is free to drop him like a hot potato if they feel having him around is more of a liability than it is an asset.

He tried to use his popularity as a professional sports analyst to push his own agenda and it backfired on him. I fail to see the injustice here.

#10 RawringSnake, Apr 21, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 21, 2016
  11. Jellal

I think you're right about all this.
    I understand your stance much better than an ambiguous reaction image.

12. Kira

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    ^ Agree completely, I don't really have anything to add.

It's a win-win. I have a feeling his replacement has a much more functional mind and a more likeable personality to go with it, but that's not too awfully hard to pull off.

13. RawringSnake

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    A Ryan Reynolds is worth more than a thousand words! I kid I kid.

I didn't want to type all that out because I'm lazy, but ultimately I'm glad you unintentionally encouraged me to do so.

#13 RawringSnake, Apr 21, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 21, 2016
  14. JiminyJordy

JiminyJordy Guest

Anyone else see a sexual harrassment lawsuit in the making between Mendoza and a star player?