1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

General News Suicide Rate Climbs 24% between 1999 and 2014

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by Simple Thoughts, Apr 24, 2016.

1. Simple Thoughts

I'm reading an article in the Wall Street Journal right now, and was a bit surprised by the numbers and just how crazy our suicide rate is 0.0

I can't share the article because it's print so I'll just list some of the stats :slight_smile:

- From 99' to 06' the rate was rising 1% a year, but from 06 onward it began to rise at about 2% a year.

- While more men kill themselves than women, the rate for women rose faster between 99' and 06'

- White women aged 45-64 the suicide rate rose 80% and for white men in the same age group it rose 59% ( This apparently was enough to lower the white American life expectancy )

- There was an increase in every age group for both sexes except for those 74 and older.

Crazy stuff.

2. Skaros

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I'll put my two cents in.

So much goes on in the world. We are working so fast, schedule every hour of our lives. It's one reason why people who live in relaxed and easy going towns/villages tend to have higher life expectancies. The brain can only take so much. I learned that when the brain can't figure out how to handle stress, it begins to think about death.

The worst part is that I can't see ourselves going back, only making it worse on ourselves. As demand for more innovation and need for more money rises, we work ourselves to the bone. More and more people become depressed and stressed, we find less time for happiness. Time is the most important thing we need, not money. And in today's society, time is becoming harder to come by in developed countries.

#2 Skaros, Apr 24, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 24, 2016
  3. Cornered

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Hmm. It seems humans will inadvertently prevent overpopulation if they go on like this, then... So... Could one say that the industrial revolution led to humankind's extinction?

4. Invidia

Invidia Guest

Far above the clouds, gazing deep below the Earth
    @Cornered: Unless we come up with something good/shape up, then yah, that'll be the deal.

Let's start sharing stuff! And then we automate a lot of our work to take off our workload. Yay.

5. imnotreallysure

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    In the UK that isn't the case, as you can see here:

[​IMG]

Americans have no paid vacation time, no paid maternity/paternity leave, and their unpaid leave is significantly shorter than in every other developed country, so it's not surprising that you guys are stressed when all you do is work.

#5 imnotreallysure, Apr 26, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 26, 2016