1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

LGBT News Tennessee "Religious Freedom" Bill for Counselors/Therapists Signed Into Law

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by Lance, Apr 28, 2016.

1. Lance

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Not sure if any of you have seen this one yet, but another harmful bill in the South got signed yesterday. :eusa_snoo The undertone is that many different people can be denied service, but it is mainly aimed at LGBT people. Any therapist/counselor that would deny someone based on their religious beliefs should not be in that profession to begin with.

Tennessee continues anti-LGBT legal onslaught with 'therapist bill'

2. Plattyrex

Well that's not the kind of person who should be helping an LGBT person, now is it?

3. Browncoat

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yeah, I can't imagine any therapist worth going to would refuse to help someone based on their religion or sexuality.

4. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    That is absolutely true. Heard an interesting NPR piece on this today. It seems that quite a few Christian therapists (therapists that happen to be Christian, rather than the nutjobs that practice "Christian therapy") are up in arms about, and appalled by, this new law.

More interestingly, the various national professional associations (APA, NASW, counseling association, etc), as part of their ethical guidelines for therapists, prohibit a therapist from refusing a client they are simply uncomfortable with because s/he is "different." That is considered a serious ethical violation and can lead to sanctions and even loss of license. So it will be interesting to see how this law flies with the regulations to which therapists are required to adhere to have licensure.

That said, any therapist who supports this law is a therapist that is incompetent, unprofessional, and should not have a license.

5. GeeLee

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I'm sure it's just a coincidence that these bills are spreading like wildfire in an election year right?

6. Kira

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I feel they have much more important matters on their hands than legalizing "kim-davisism" and paying people for incompetently refusing to do their jobs, but what do I know? :eusa_doh:

If this continues NC's going to end up it's own little third world country.

7. Libertino

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I agree completely with this. There has to be a line between "religious freedom" and the requirements and expectations of your occupation. If you didn't want to counsel people with different views from you, then you should not have become a therapist, any more than someone who hates kids should become a nanny. Not every occupation is going to change for your personal views; you often have to be willing to change for it. And if you are not, then seek a different occupation.

8. EimGhey

EimGhey Guest

Who would want a homophobic man-child therapist any way!

9. Kodo

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Couldn't have put it better.

10. baconpox

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I support these "religious freedom" laws, but not because I think it's okay to discrininate or that it actually has anything to do with religion, but I just think people should he able to associate or not associate with whoever they want. Sure, it's stupid to refuse to serve gay people, but morality is too personal to be regulated by the government. Ultimately, it's probably better for this law to pass because some people just aren't qualified for giving therapy of that manner, and it would probably be more harmful to the patient than sinply refusing to treat them.

11. QueerTransEnby

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    This law indirectly helps LGBT youth by keeping them away from the bigots. It's a blessing in disguise.