1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Mary Beth Tinker + Heather, 40 years later

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by LyraLissa, Feb 24, 2009.

1. LyraLissa

Today's the 40th anniversary of the Supreme Court case Tinker vs. Des Moines, in which the Tinker siblings- John, 15, Mary Beth, eigth grade, and their two younger siblings (Paul was eight!) wore black armbands to school to protest the Vietnam war.
    The ACLU (American Civil Liberties Union) gave the four a lawyer when their school suspended them, and the case went to the Supreme court.
    They won, luckily.
    Forty years later, Heather Gillman won a federal case supporting her rainbow-wearing based on the Tinker ruling, which set a precedent- luckily for us, and just about everyone else- except Neanderthals like her principal.

The whole story, in Mary Beth's words, is here:
    http://www.dailykos.com/storyonly/2009/2/24/10570/8333/554/701186
    Watch the video for a laugh- or maybe a weep. The principal is practically a gift-wrapped present for us- what a deluded fellow! I have a soft spot in my heart for idiots that hurt their cause merely by opening their mouths.

'Night all!
    ~Hugs, Lyra

2. DexterMorgan

He makes it sound like (and this is what most 'phobes think!)seeing somone with a Gay Pride t-shirt will make you gay. It disgusts me to think that people have this running through their minds.:dry:

The fact that he thought Reading Rainbow was linked to "gay pride movement" made me giggle.:roflmao:

I'm glad the court ruled in Heather's favor.