1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

General News Iggy Azalea Claims that "Becky with the good hair" Lyric is "Racist"

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by ZenMusic, May 4, 2016.

1. ZenMusic

I know this is a bit late but it's been bothering me for time. Iggy, I'm not even going to begin examining your artistry or how you are marketed, because that's another subject completely and I really don't need the extra headache. And the BeyHive have clocked you many times over, and as much as they irk me, rightfully so.

Iggy's comments on Beyoncé's lyrics Iggy Azalea criticises the name

However, your Twitter is littered with extremely prejudiced and egregious tweets [YOUTUBE]HC0La7IC8WY[/YOUTUBE] [YOUTUBE]URcIa_HwHUM[/YOUTUBE] so I'm not entirely sure why you think you have the audacity to be calling anyone racist when that is what you think is healthy for public relations or just your career in general.

On top of that, I didn't know that anyone with the name Becky was necessarily "white." Some people just have "good hair", no matter what their skin pigmentation is, and on TOP OF THAT, there could have been many Beckies that were allegedly gettin' it poppin' with Jay-Z behind Beyoncé's back, and the one she might have been referencing in her song could have been Creole for all we know. So please, stop trying your best to act offended when you are the epitome of everything an artist shouldn't be, and when you are openly racist. Iggy Afailure, stop it.

That's just what I think of the situation, do you think Iggy's comments hold any water?

2. JonSomebody

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    No...I do not...I think Iggy's comments as well as all of the other accusations out there in the media are totally insane and ridiculous. As you've mentioned in your post, there are people who have good grade of hair despite their skin pigmentation. I know this first hand because my family has that good grade hair.

3. YuriBunny

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I... honestly don't understand how it could possibly be interpreted that way. :confused:

4. Some Dude

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Honestly though, Iggy Azaleia is the last person who should be accusing others of racism

5. 741852963

You need to look at it in context - doing otherwise is just a cheapshot. It is not just one Beyonce song, and Iggy is not alone in jumping to the conclusion it was referencing a white woman.

"Becky" has been used as a generalized name for white women (in particular valley girls) for a long while, arguably coming from the Sir Mix-a-lot video (dating nearly 30 years ago) featuring an ignorant character named Becky. Its similar as a generalized label as say "Uncle Tom" is.

The "good hair" is further evidence. That wording (obviously wrongly) has been frequently and colloquially used to describe caucasian hair (see Chris Rock's documentary of the same name questioning the idea of this ideal "good hair").

Now..................onto the question of whether it is offensive...not really. It's pretty assumptive and lazy perhaps (as with all generalisations and wide labels), but there is nothing especially derogatory about it...its just a single name. Her point about not wanting to be generalized is fair enough (given she has suffered a lot of criticism and racism), but this particular example its an overreaction from her.

Zen, you've said this idea time and time and time and time again on this forum, and have ignored every one of my posts challenging.

No Iggy Azealea is not "openly racist".

The petty claims that she is rely on her not being vocal about black rights (an obligation that is erroneously asked of her given a. she is not even black, b. black people in the industry stay silent or even damage black rights without criticism, and c. the industry is not "black-owned" and there is no "requirement" for artists to "pay dues" to enter it). That or the single use of the word "slave" in a song - which is pretty ignorant of the black Americans who are critical in assuming their use of the word (specifically referencing black American slavery) is the only possible meaning/usage.

Where the hell was the outrage over Britney's "Slave for You"...oh that's right, it didn't fit the popular narrative of outrage at that time!

Now in fact she is a regular victim of racism, and has received appalling abuse from the very black community who demand she supports them!

She isn't a great artist. She needs to use her Australian accent more (as difficult as that would make rapping, it would be more unique), her lyrics need improving and she needs better producers.

She isn't that different in talent and performance from the likes of Chonique Sneed though (they both sound pretty similar), and Chonique doesn't receive any of the same criticism.

#5 741852963, Jul 14, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 14, 2016
  6. ZenMusic

[YOUTUBE]JswDtTo8xRw[/YOUTUBE] And you seem to be ignoring the fact that she is, by definition, openly racist because of these tweets alone. If you're going to accuse me of ignoring your posts, don't ignore parts of mine, the exact same video should be in the OP.

#6 ZenMusic, Jul 14, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 14, 2016
  7. Flowey

Let see, getting annoyed at someone on the plane because they take your seat, disliking certain accents, noticing that sometimes people fit the stereotype, thinking that two dudes whispering in each other's ears are kinda gay (and yes, it's kinda gay). Sounds like a normal human being to me, without the public censorship. If that is enough to make someone racist, then everyone is racist. Thus, being a racist is normal and not a big deal. Heck, even I cussed out at some annoying Russians sometimes and there are certain accents that are grating to my ears. Guess I'm a racist as well.
    Because you keep focusing on petty non-crime statements like that, more people will take accusation of racism less seriously.
    Also, I'm no fan to both. They should fall into irrelevance -_-

8. hanrity

hanrity Guest

I think its racist for her to say its racist. ......hihi............ but honest theres no way to make becky with good hair look racist she should give up already