1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

General News Police stage realistic terrorist training exercise...people complain about realism.

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by 741852963, May 10, 2016.

1. 741852963

A counter-terrorist exercise was held by Greater Manchester police involving a mock terrorist attack to practice responses. Fairly standard stuff nowadays.

But we have a problem. The pretend terrorist was (to reflect the type of terrorist attacks most likely to happen) an Islamic Extremist and shouted "Allahu Akbar" prior to detonating pretend suicide bomb.

Naturally the politically correct crew have been out in force claiming this is offensive and "stereotyping" and the police have issued a grovelling apology stating it will never happen again:

Police apologise for making fake suicide bomber shout

Here is the thing. These operations are expensive and absolutely vital, it has to be realistic to be worth doing. And yes Islamic extremism is the biggest concern to UK security right now....not the IRA, not unaffiliated lunatics, not any other religion or political group. The whole push for these type of training exercises has come from London, Paris, Belgium where yes, these prayers are shouted.

When you have gone to the trouble of giving actors realistic injuries and realistic reactions, staging it in a real shopping mall, using realistic pyrotechnics and fake explosions .... why would you not do the same with the terrorist? I mean, there wouldn't be much point if they just had some bloke casually walk in, go "I have a pretend bomb. Bang, it's gone off. Your dead now, right, can I go for a pint?".

And as commentators on social media have pointed out, if an everyday citizen heard someone shout "Allahu Akbar" on the street, they would probably flee the scene, and would probably be better safe than sorry to do so.

2. Kasey

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Re: Police stage realistic terrorist training exercise...people complain about realis

I know Muslim people. Not once have I heard them shout that in public.

3. AlamoCity

Re: Police stage realistic terrorist training exercise...people complain about realis

Maybe it's the equivalent of: I know many people who are Christian wear a cross around their neck, but if a guy comes at you with a hammer and nails, he's probably up to no good.

4. 741852963

Exactly, it is all context.

It is a prayer usually used in a positive manner, but it has been frequently used in a negative manner (i.e. violently shouted) by terrorists in recent attacks, so in this context the inclusion of it being shouted makes sense. The exercise is designed to be like modern terrorist attacks (in the location, the victims, and importantly the perpetrator) to ensure it is realistic, so they are merely mimicking what actually happens in the world.

I don't really understand how people can object to the inclusion as "offensive" or uncomfortable when surely the whole exercise has the potential to offend (as terrorist attacks are scary, brutal and nightmarish). We are hardly talking light comedy here, it's people covered in fake blood and acting out harrowing events for the very reason that we unfortunately have to prepare for these things actually happening.

Really I think those offended need to turn their anger to the actual terrorists bringing the religion and subsequently the words of prayer into disrepute in the first place.

5. RainDreamer

Because an actual bomber would warn people with a shout before detonating it, right? And people would actually be able to hear a shout, if there is one, instantly realizing what it is saying, and then calmly react?

If we are training the people, it is better to train them to notice suspicious behaviour before anything happen. Or, train them to help people in the aftermath to save lives. Neither of which require staging something like this either...

6. Lazuri

But Islam extremists DO shout "allahu akbar" right before detonating their bombs. There's no point for them to do these attacks if the victims don't know it's in god's name. And yes, if somebody around me shouted "allahu akbar" the way they do it, I would absolutely hear it and I would hit the deck as soon as I registered that somebody shouted it. I'm not sure how you imagine one WOULD "calmly react" to an imminent bomb detonation--casually stroll over to cover?

7. Natasha Elyssa

Knowing a lot of police stuff and growing up around cops, they really shouldn't have done that. NYPD ESU training exercises focus more on behavior that doesn't involve speech. Whenever they do an exercise, they focus on the body language and the situation. What that department should have done is focus on the situation. What a person says in the heat of the moment doesn't matter. Especially if they're performing acts of terror. In a real situation, you don't know exactly what someone will do. In a way, they're training the officers to associate certain language and terms with certain situations. Which could be dangerous, especially if someone was to panic when hearing a word and pull the trigger. The focus is on resolving the situation, not listening for "kill-words" and stuff like that. I don't mean that what a person says in a situation isn't important, I mean that it shouldn't matter. If you're on the line, respond and react the same no matter what they're screaming. That was a highly ineffective exercise. Here, people would've been in big trouble. Especially those involved who planned and acted out the scenario. And if they're going to train like that, they might as well train them with any possible situation. That way they learn that the words people speak shouldn't alter their response. Like riot training, learn to ignore what people are screaming at you and treat the situation the same no matter what happens. Hold the line. I hope this wasn't confusing, and I hope that people understand what I mean.

8. 2Sides

2Sides Guest

Out Status:
    Not out at all

No.

The biggest threat is the general white British population. Not all but some. They elect a government, who bombs dozens of poor countries and then have the audacity to complain when the civilians of those poor countries dare to retaliate. Not only that the British white people (some) blame immigrants/aslyum seekers for looking for a better life in the UK but don't realise it as their government in the first place that bombed those poor countries back into the stone age, making that country a war-zone.

The threat is the British white population ignorance and the lack of mental capacity to see the mistakes they have made.

Yes yes yes Muslims have done bad things too but of course there is another side to the story, which is often neglected to be told. And I'm not going to go into it because of some sensitive folks here. Then again it is entertaining to hear people thinking Muslims are the biggest threat to the human civilization. I let you guys drown in your own mental hysteria. I'll get the popcorn.

#8 2Sides, May 10, 2016
    Last edited: May 10, 2016
  9. Kasey

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone

That is what I was implying.

10. 741852963

The British public are hardly to blame for the Iraq War. War was not part of the manifesto at the time of elections, there was no referendum for the war, and there were mass public protests against the war which was carried on regardless.

As with tuition fees, expenses, offshore tax havens etc etc etc, even when things directly affect the British population there isn't the ability to seize control back to that extent. We have reasonable democracy, but not 100% accountability (and that can be for better and worse - see gay marriage which would possibly not have survived a referendum).

Certainly foreign policy and historic colonialisation have an impact, but it is a lie to suggest they are the only causes of war and destitution in these countries. In the Middle East there have been wars long before white interventions, and certainly the challenging climate does not help matters.

Regarding immigration, it is not simply the case of the British population taking umbridge with immigrants, and it is a lie to suggest that. You have additional factors of lack of integration, and a complete disconnect with religious practices that do not align to modern British attitudes and behaviours. I think it is why xenophobia for certain immigrants is lesser than others - it depends on how the immigrants perhaps compromise and fit in. Similarly if I were to go to work in the Middle East I'd expect my reception would be different depending on if I learnt the language/respected host religion and practice vs did the opposite.

See the first point, the British population are hardly waging wars themselves.

I don't think it is right to justify terrorists as oppressed, wronged or neglected. If you are oppressed: protest, or at worst rebel against those actually impacting you (note the majority of these terrorists do not even attempt these steps). Deliberately targetting random civilians can NEVER be justified. That is evil.

Additionally, no, these people aren't acting out of sane desperation for their (or others') earthly situation - they are wilfully killing themselves and others because of religious belief. What could this possibly achieve towards a legitimate grievance? They are dead, the public they take issue with are even more resolute against them, and the situation they are supposedly concerned with doesn't change.

Islamic extremism is the biggest threat to national security when speaking regarding terrorism, abso-ruddy-lutely. To pretend otherwise is niave. Sure we have numerous other threats on this earth (general violence, sexual violence, climate change, natural disasters, pollution, religious oppression, racism, yada yada yada), but terrorism? Yes, it is presently mainly down to religious extremism, and in particular Islamic Extremism.

---------- Post added 10th May 2016 at 01:09 PM ----------

I don't think that was quite what they were going for though. These were ordinary people involved, and I think the police wanted them to behave like ordinary citizens in response to a stimuli (i.e. some running, some ducking, some screaming etc) to better get an idea of what emergency services would face. A terrorist attack is never going to be be orderly and calm in the aftermath, ever.

The shouts have happened in numerous real-world terrorist events, so it isn't particularly innacurate.

True, but in this particular case, if we are having an exercise designed to be as realistic as possible, you kind of have to go the whole hog. I'd agree this exercise is probably not the best, but it would be even weaker if you just had someone casually walk in and say "right, I'm the terrorist, the bombs gone off now, bye".

11. 2Sides

2Sides Guest

Out Status:
    Not out at all

Don't care. We as a whole are responsible. We elected that government and are accountable (to a certain extent). Is this not have we behaved towards Afghanistan after 9/11? We pretty much bombed the entire country, even though we were after the Taliban, despite them surrendering.

Yes UK made things worse. UK is one of those countries that likes to pick fights to put it simply.

No. The law permits immigrants/people that look like immigrants to speak a different language and to practise their religion. Freedom? Is this not what you preach? People can do whatever they want provided they are not harming others. Integration? Um it is white people that fled to other areas as minorities moved in. LOL

Oh please. Both sides are just as bad. UK is not morally superior to the twerrorists. The only difference is that UK is highly equipped and has fancy uniforms on.

No they are committing violent acts due to our stupid government violent tyrannical global ambitions. It was even said on the 9/11 commission (or something) that the reason why 9/11 happened in the first place due to support for arab dictators/monarchs. You guys just don't care. Just carry on fooling yourself. *eats popcorn*

No. The biggest threat is rich people starting wars to become more rich. UK is one of them.

#11 2Sides, May 10, 2016
    Last edited: May 10, 2016