1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

LGBT News U.S. Directs Public Schools to Allow Transgender Access to Restrooms

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by HuskyPup, May 13, 2016.

1. HuskyPup

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
  2. Glowing Eyes

That's gonna be quite something. I'm sure it'll involve some definitely rational concerns and not fear-mongering trash. I'm soooo sure of it.

#2 Glowing Eyes, May 13, 2016
    Last edited: May 13, 2016
  3. Natasha Elyssa

I just saw a similar article on PBS. The reaction was abysmal. This is a great step in the right direction, but knowing where I live with the fake wannabe ghetto kids and the snobby "poor" rich kids, this won't end well. School Safety is going to have their hands full. And so is the deans/principle's office of every school. Knowing my school, there will be group that doesn't care, a group that will be offended and feel oppressed, the group that will beat and threaten trans kids, the group that feels that Satan is trying to lead them astray, etc. But I guess we'll see. :/

4. Daydreamer1

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    And now I'm wondering how many schools are going to encourage students to bring pepper spray to assault others for trying to pee.

5. Glowing Eyes

Wait, PBS is transphobic?

As for the kids at your school, I know the type you're talking about. They're not quite as bad or common at my school though.

6. Natasha Elyssa

No. The comments were. The article itself was alright.

7. Eveline

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I have to admit that this has left me more worried about the situation. Somehow it feels to me like a parent trying to use authority to stop a kid from bullying. Such interventions never end well as the bully feels powerless when confronted by the adult but once the adult leaves the bully becomes more dangerous towards the kid who is just as vulnerable.

8. iamjustababy

iamjustababy Active Member

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Super hyped for this!! All my friends are trans, and almost all of em go to public school. So I'm super excited for them.

Although, where I live, they tried to pass a law where you could mace a trans person in the bathroom, so that kinda worries me.

9. SillyGoose

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Obama :slight_smile: doing good even when he is soon getting out

10. Eveline

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    The more I think about it, the more positive I feel about this statement. Sorry for being pessimistic earlier... reading comments on news sites can be disturbing. It is really amazing how quickly things are changing. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:ride:

11. AlamoCity

I'm glad no lgbt conservative folks here are saying anything about this. I remember when marriage was an issue how some folk would say, "well it's a state issue."

12. AngelLikesSpace

Out Status:
    Some people
    I had some girls in my school ask staff today if they could go into the men's restroom. The staff said no, considering they're not publicly out as transgender. But then I also heard one of the girls say to a guy "we can use the same bathroom now." I'm not sure if they're trying to be "cute" or if they're just ignorant about the whole situation.

13. Feelunique

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Seriously Using the Toilet. Honestly when I was in High School it was a little awkward changing for gym with the other boys. I understand that. When it comes to bodily excretions going into any public restroom its the last thought on my mind the sexuality of the person sitting next to me. I'm glad I made it without doing it on myself.

14. Browncoat

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I can only imagine the reaction of my old high school's administrators and teachers after reading that letter. :lol:

15. Skaros

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I never expected the bathroom debate to become such a big deal. When a trans friend of mine used the bathroom he feels more comfortable with, (before I really knew what being trans was), I never thought it was a big deal. I always thought it was one of those issues that's best left alone because it's unlikely you'll know who is or who isn't trans in the bathroom. Also, there really isn't a way to know for sure what a man and woman should be dressing like, so to enforce a ban on it would be very hard (and probably counterproductive).

As long as a person goes in, uses the stall, and walks out (hopefully after washing their hands), then it's no issue. If someone molests another person, then a bathroom ban won't stop them! It's the same logic with guns. A bathroom ban won't stop rapist in the same way banning guns won't stop a criminal with a gun.

16. Kira

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    It'd be nice if it could have happened a little sooner, but it's a step in the right direction nevertheless. I'm just scared the crazies will grow more violent as they lose power.

17. Eris

Eris Guest

Hey guys, I don't know if I understand the context correctly, but someone told me that practically /anyone/ who claims to be transgender can walk into a bathroom. There's no need for surgery or to physically look like another gender or anything. What if a cisgender male were to walk into a female bathroom and assault females in there? Or what if a cisgender female went inside to troll and make the guys uncomfortable?

18. Matto_Corvo

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    My local school district already announce that they would allow trans students to use bathroom and lockers of their gender identity.
    The shit storm parents are having crashed the school website with in hours.

19. Eveline

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    There are provisions in place to stop that. I don't know the full details but I know that one of the guidelines is that you need a letter from your parents... seriously, children wouldn't identify as transgender and risk bullying and all the social hell we go through to have access to the other bathroom... (Which they have anyway always been able to enter...) a cisgender boy who enters the girls bathroom can't just say he is transgender, it just doesn't work like that, he would undoubtedly be challenged and sent to the principles office and the truth would come out. The only children this effects are trans children that are already in the process of social transitioning and are out to their classmates.

#19 Eveline, May 14, 2016
    Last edited: May 14, 2016
  20. Eris

Eris Guest

Right, good to know that. I was only worried because I've been checking all the relevant news sources but they don't talk about where the extension ends.

Good on 'Murica. My country still has a long way to go... same-sex marriages ain't legalized here.