1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Easy Going Jamaica is Dire Place for Gays

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by beckyg, Feb 27, 2009.

1. beckyg

beckyg Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
  2. EM68

OMG That is awful!

3. Janvier

That's so harsh !! :eek:
    Life is terrible for gays in Jamaica, I say leave that place as soon as you can if you want to live an open life without fear and hate.

4. Mysterons

Mysterons Guest

The Bible condemns homosexuality, they say. But critics say islanders are selective in the verses they cite, and the rage at gay sex contrasts sharply with Jamaicans’ embrace of casual sex among heterosexuals, which is considered part of the Caribbean way.

I hate the fact that for some stupid reason they've become known as 'cool' and 'easy going' whereas reality shows that they're a bunch of intolerant bigots.

5. Bryan44

Wow, thats scary.

6. BlakeHarmony

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    that is so horrible!

this on the other hand is just plain ridiculous,
    A shortage of women's underwear?!?

7. Emberstone

*refrains from posting the link to the chirstmas carol 'walking round in woman's underware' from yahoo*

Honestly. since when do woman in the carribian's bother to wear underwear... oh, that must just be the tourists on the beaches.

Supply and demand people! need more, make more!

8. Maggi

this is terrible and just plain awful...

9. Melissa

“He needs to get over this demonic thing.”

I don't normally say this but, WTF?! Demonic? The pastor thinks homosexuality is demonic? For Heaven's sake, these people are impossible.

Such a horrible story and so very, very sad...

10. Bunny

Aw c'mon Jamaica, I thought you were cool. ><

11. STK

STK Guest

Well. That's one country I'LL never set foot on.

12. CrystalCat

As a Jamaican who was born and raised there, i must admit being gay isn't really an option in the cities. But recently its been getting better, hell i saw two guys making out in the open when i last visited and i was scared shitless for them because i thought they were going to get beaten to death. The last time i went (2 months ago) i was seeing teens with rainbow bracelets and armbands and i was surprised beyond belief. By no means is Jamaica a gay haven, even though a good chunk of the members of the parliament are closeted, it just depends on where you go. The actual tourist areas are more accepting. Lesbians tend to have it much easier in JA, gay guys not so much.

13. You said it best.

14. Lizz K

I'm saddened to see this bullshit still going on. Why can't we all just love each other?

15. TheRoof

wtf.
    this is beyond awful. this is just so horrible.
    they better get the hell out of jamaica....

16. Lychee

That's horrible

:eek:

#16 Lychee, Mar 8, 2009
    Last edited: Mar 8, 2009
  17. sexyalex

No comments....

:dry:

Becky. I told you living my life is a thin line. Sleeping with both eyes closed is not an option. And beleive me mother, you don't know the half of it.

18. sexyalex

No!
    No babes. No. No no no no no NO no No and no.

I honestly feel sorry for those people who have to run to Canada. but honestly, I get labeled everyday and I still live my life and thankfully never been beaten or chased through the city but verbal abuse is somehting I get very regularly.

Sweety, IF ME RUN WEH FROM JAMAICA WEH ME BOAN AN GROW WHERE ELSE MI A GUH GO INNA DIS WORLD FI FINE RIGHTS FI MISELF?! (If I run away from Jamaica, my home, where else in this world am I goingt o find rights for myself?!)

No mon!

Sorry, but,
    This is my country. here is where I was raised and here is where my rights are. I can't run away to canada..or...amaerica, and expect the same rights as a person who was born there....
    Likewise, if I can't make a difference in my country I can't make it anywhere else!

I am not afraid of no one, and I cover my ass. because any body who think they can take me on can bring it! The last person who did so nearly died and I got away with it scotch free. Not because he was harassing me in the first place but because because I was born with a mental disorder which when I get in a temper its quiet uncontrolable.

Do u know how many times I have been 14 year olds, 13 year olds, 15, 19....get killed because of "suspicion" of homosexuality?! I mean. Butcher in the middle of the city and police come to quarantine the area and can't do shit. Jamaican people do not literaly make the law. However they vertualy and figurativly make it and when they go to make action, police can't do a thing. Gas, smoke, gun, fire, nothing isn;t stopping them. I witness....women....beating police that come to rescue gay people from public beating.
    Even worse, if u are arrested, and they know your gay. No one and I mean no one will pay any attention to you while your in jail. And if u don't die by jail fights, u starve to death or hear...a police officer's gun dropped. Or went off by accident. I am not even exaggerating.

Anti-gay violence happens EVEYWHERE. Even Canada. The writter for the book report "PinkBlood", as many of you may know is a very very very graphic book on gay violence in Canada, is someone I know (real life) and when I read that book...
    .....honestly. It makes Jamaica look like gay men are living in PARADISE! I mean, we are not protected by the law but even though they will say "bun battyman!" (burn gays) in many dancehall songs. I can tell you, no gay person has ever been burnt. And I have only seen one and only one case that I would say is REALLY bad in the past 6 years. And thats one where they actually beated a guy till there was almost nothing left and when the police were finally able to get him to the hospital, the people marched to the hospital and finnished him off in the men's ward.

Its bad here, but Canada is certainly not a bed of roses. Nether is the US. As many may know, I was born in Britin, however my parents are Jamaican. And Jamaica is my country and no body is going to scare my turkey out of it. NO ONE!

And it pisses me off to know instead of incorporaitng laws to protect people, they are incorporating laws to arrest (as of recent, very recent...last feb.) to arrest people who are alleged to be homosexuals. Because to feed and care ONE person in prison per day...is $25 ....US dollars!:tantrum: And it upsets me to know, the government is going to waste their time to pay $25 out of tax payers money in order to take care of people in prison, not to emantion the $4 per day they give u if u do hard labour. :dry:
    ...when there are rapist and child molesters and w/e out there that need to be locked up and have the key thrown away! :confused:

u know what...I am...
    soooo, out!

Later dudes.

19. TheRoof

sorry. didnt mean to offend you or any proud jamaicans out there.
    i am well aware of the fact that no gays can be 100% safe from verbal/physical abuses.
    and i definitely see ur point. u can't just run away just because the situation looks bad.

20. Mysterons

Mysterons Guest

I wonder what could be worse than being verbally harassed almost everyday, beaten by violent mobs or taken to jail just for being who you are. I'm not from Canada so I cannot tell for sure, but I have the impression that it's not like that in there. At least their laws do not condemn homosexuality.