1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

LGBT News Segregation, segregation!

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by Shadstack, May 16, 2016.

1. Shadstack

Shadstack Guest

2. Secrets5

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Never thought I'd hear something about this from UK. Why do people think segregation is good when that's what we've been trying to destroy for centuries (?)

3. Benway

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I honestly don't see a problem with this.

There's a lot of violence against gay people everywhere, to provide them with their own utilities and dorms/classrooms sounds like a fantastic idea. This way, LGBTQ people won't be discriminated against and they'll have somewhere where they can learn/live safely. You may call it 'segregation,' but I see it more as a mosaic-- I honestly think a lot of problems in the world could be solved more easily like this but everyone's too quiet, or better yet, too afraid to say that they think this is a good idea.

We already have stuff like this in America, gay 'rooms' in colleges where everyone is welcome. I haven't been in a college in a while, now, but I do remember that one I was in had a huge room that had been declared some sort of "safe space" for LGBTQ students, and I think a lot of gay/whatever students would fight for the right to have their own utilities. Transpeople are already fighting for their own bathrooms, so in my eyes, this whole 'alternative housing' idea gives LGBTQ people exclusive rights, exclusive meaning better.

4. Libertino

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    At the university I attended for undergrad, there was a dorm that was associated with "LGBT" meaning that if you were LGBT you could sign up to live there if you wanted to be around other LGBT students, but not everyone in the dorm was LGBT (if you hated LGBT people, then you wouldn't have signed up for it in the first place). In other words, it was sort of an LGBT & allies dorm. I don't see a problem with that specifically, as long as it's not completely segregated (there was also a "Hispanic" dorm, but again, it was not technically segregated because anyone could live there, it's just that it was known for being the place where Hispanic students signed up to live).

Calling for the university to create "separate" accommodation for LGBT people seems a bit iffy to me. I never would've wanted to be in an "LGBT only" dorm of a "Hispanic only" dorm despite fitting into both of those groups. I wouldn't mind living in an area where I knew there were a number of other LGBT or Hispanic people because sometimes I like to talk to and get to know people that I have certain basic traits about myself in common with (hence why I joined this site in the first place), but I wouldn't ask for it to be so restricted.

#4 Libertino, May 16, 2016
    Last edited: May 16, 2016
  5. Robert

Robert Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone

LGBT people already have the option of boarding with other LGBT people exclusively as it has a safety aspect to it - and thats fine. But those who would opt out of possibly living with LGBT people are homophobic bigots and their bigoted actions should not be condoned by universities. It is a disgrace.

#5 Robert, May 16, 2016
  6. Benway

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I'm sorry, I see it as a rather responsible move on the bigots' part. They know they'll inevitably hurt the LGBTQ people and so they're fixing the dam before it breaks. Like I said, there's already too much violence towards us and this seems like a very good way of preventing more violence. If we all minded our own business we wouldn't have this ongoing fight but everybody can't mind their own business so we need to be separated. That goes for more than just the LGBTQ and straights, I think. I think that goes for everyone. If you separate the problematic mixes, you solve the problem.

7. Robert

Robert Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    K. So lets allow people to opt out of dorming with black people.
    Problem solved! No more racism in universities! Oh wait... that makes no sense actually.

Racists and homophobes shouldnt be accommodated in univerities and neither should racist or homophobic actions.

8. gravechild

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I don't see what the issue is. There are women's colleges, black colleges, and various religious colleges.

Obviously, it's not exactly the same thing, but as long as LGBT remain a vulnerable population, they should have the choice to do what makes them feel safe, comfortable, accepted.

Especially now with the backlash against gay and trans rights.

9. Robert

Robert Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    That is not the issue here!

LGBT people already have the right to opt in to dorming with LGBT people only.

Read the article people!!

---------- Post added 16th May 2016 at 07:29 PM ----------

Hahaha.

I misread the artcile.

But yeah.

There are two issues here... One that LGBT people should have the right to opt in to LGBT dorms only.
    Two that straight people shouldnt have the right to straight dorms only.

Major facepalm on my part.

Apologies.

10. Benway

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Look at it this way: You're probably liberal, you probably want to allow Syrian refugees into your country, who are, let's face it, Muslim. There are two main sects of Islam, Sunni and Shiite. Here's the problem, Muslims hate each other, they absolutely hate each other and they cannot get along without there being some sort of bombing or terrorist assault on each other. The Sunnis and the Shiites cannot and will not get along and you want to welcome them into your country, which is a whole new playing ground for their hate. So what do you do when you open your borders and let loose the floodgates of violence?

You separate them. Now, I for one don't believe in allowing anyone through American borders right now, but that's beside the point. Let's just assume that's what happens. So once that happens you're going to have Syrian refugees assaulting each other in the streets because one of them is a Shiite and the other is Sunni. What is the logical solution to this? Separate them. They obviously have made a point not to get along so you do what you do to two fighting children and separate them once diplomacy breaks down and nothing else works. So yes, in this case I'm talking about right now, segregation works.

11. greatwhale

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yes, and here's an example of how the 25,000 Syrian refugees who recently arrived are behaving here in Canada:

Syrian refugees in Edmonton step up to help Fort McMurray fire evacuees - Edmonton - CBC News

12. Pret Allez

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I don't read the article saying that cis straight people will be able to opt out of living with LGBT people. I read it as saying LGBT people can opt out of living with cis, straight people. Am I missing something?

13. Benway

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Eventually there's going to be a Sunni who attacks a Shiite, or a Shiite who attacks a Sunni. It's great that things are all sunshine and roses in Canada for now but eventually one sect will attack the other. Maybe Syrian was the wrong choice in this case, maybe I should have given an example overseas, in a country where Shiites and Sunnis are fighting everyday. In those countries, they need to be separated because they're war-tearing their world apart.

But that's all off-topic. Let's say that gay people filed for gay-only dorms, is it okay, then?

14. Robert

Robert Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Well thats what we're arguing about now so get used to it!! :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

Yeah... I think I have pretty much messed up... I should just go to bed lol.

This is me right now: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oJsOK9Tc60M#t=00m41s

#14 Robert, May 16, 2016
  15. Pret Allez

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I was just wondering, because I think it's pretty clearly not the case that straight people are pushing this measure so they don't have to hang out with yucky LGBT people. Rather, some LGBT people are trying not to house with cis hets.

I absolutely would have loved the option while I was a student at UVic...

16. Shadstack

Shadstack Guest

Just wanted to let you know, only 6% of the UK think homosexuality should be illegal. I very much doubt those views would be held by the young(ish) generation in colleges. Discuss.

17. Kasey

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Where did you get those numbers.

Second, the minority is usually the most vocal, for good or bad.

#17 Kasey, May 16, 2016
  18. BryanM

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    That doesn't mean that LGBTQ people don't face hate crimes and other things impeding their right to live their lives as they see fit. I'm sure even on University campuses, there are quite a few people who visibly oppose LGBTQ people and I don't see the problem with LGBTQ students wanting their own spaces and resource centers on their campuses. I work at my Uni's LGBTQ Resource Center, and it's a wonderful resource for not only LGBTQ students, but allies as well who want to learn more about how to support the community. Our Uni is also in the process of having one of the res halls on campus have one or two floors of gender neutral housing for transgender and gender nonconforming students, and the rest of the hall is going to be advertised to mainly other LGBTQ people and other marginalized groups on campus. This doesn't mean that white cis straight people can't live there of course, it just means that they will be living with a diverse group of fellow students and they should realize and learn the appropriate ways to communicate to people who may be different from them. I don't think what I described is segregation.

tldr: Resource centers are a wonderful resource for marginalized students and allies wanting to learn how to support them, and living spaces marketed heavily to marginalized students is great too.

19. whizbang

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay