1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

LGBT News Canada moves to ban discrimination against transgender people

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by Alder, May 17, 2016.

1. Alder

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
  2. Hawk

Admin Team Full Member Away

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    That's great news!
    Proud to be Canadian.

[​IMG]

3. SillyGoose

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Canada is amazing

4. ouji

ouji Guest

Woohoo! Way to go, Canada :slight_smile:

5. Kira

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I love Canada more and more each day, it really feels like they're always a step or two ahead of the world. :eusa_clap

See US? that's how you do "free" right there.

6. Nobo

Nope because that is also banning freedom of speech wich is a constitutional rifght

7. David21201

Canada is pretty good when it comes to it!

8. baconpox

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    This is an overstep of government power, honestly. If hate speech is illegal, you don't have free speech. I also take issue with the concept of hate crimes. Plus it's none of the government's business what individuals do as long as no one's constitutional rights are being violated (which are a mess in Canada). This isn't helping trans people, what's really hurting them is making transgenderism politicized in the first place. If you took the government out of it either way, this bathroom mess wouldn't be happening right now. I'm not looking forward to seeing the push back from this.

9. looking for me

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    your first ammendment has limits, check SCOTUS.

---------- Post added 18th May 2016 at 10:35 AM ----------

no offense but i heard the same arguements back in the early 2000's when marriage equality was proposed and passed. it's been 10+ years and Canada has neither imploded nor torn in half over this issue and it wont RE Trans rights. we've had anti hate speach here all my life very seldom is it charged, and there is a high bar for it, same with hate crimes.

10. thepandaboss

Our lives are already politicized so we might as well take advantage of government protections when we can. You could just as easily make the same argument about allowing women to vote or banning racial segregation, you know?

11. Butterfly2016

God bless Canada!! <3 I knew there was a reason I love that country. They actually have brains!! lol

12. Sagume Kishin

Panda said what I would've said. Basically, enjoy the protections while they're there - similar types of laws have come, no social upheaval has happened.

Anyway, go Canada! (*hug*)

#12 Sagume Kishin, May 18, 2016
    Last edited: May 18, 2016
  13. baconpox

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    RE: looking for me

This is different from marriage equality. Legalizing that gives people more freedom; restricting speech and forcing businesses to do anything (bad things like discriminating apply the same) takes away freedom. It might not be causing problems in Canada, but people pushing for more transgender protection under the law is a large part of the reason why Americans are trying to pass transphobic laws--if you take the law out of it, it can't hurt you.

Also, there's no excuse for restricting free speech. It doesn't matter how high the bar is, there shouldn't be one at all. Some of the most important freedoms we have to day would have been absurd and orthodox some time ago, and being against LGBT is just as much an opinion as supportive. Banning dissent is anti-intellectual and anti-progress, because it's important to hear a different side. Banning certain speech can cause a slippery slope, and frankly, bigots are so ridiculous, let their ideas be discussed so they can show how ridiculous they are.

---------- Post added 19th May 2016 at 05:01 AM ----------

Sometimes the lesser of two evils is necessary, but here this isn't the case. The clear solution is to stop politicizing it. We don't have to compromise other people's freedom to make progress, and making it political will only increase hostility towards trans people. Also segregation and women not being able to vote is taking away their freedom, banning hate speech is taking away another groups freedom. Everyone should be able to have a say in how they want their country, and the state shouldn't be sponsoring hate, but nobody is entitled to feel comfortable with the way people talk about them, or to be served by a certain business, or to be protected by the law differently for being a minority.

#13 baconpox, May 19, 2016
    Last edited: May 19, 2016
  14. thepandaboss

You know what, yeah. We should be entitled to be treated equally under the banner of the law.

A business who denies someone service because of the color of their skin, or whether they're trans or not, or who they marry is just a step away from banning people from using the bathrooms they're more comfortable with, not allowing people to marry their partner.

You can't yell "fire" in a theater. Why the hell should you have the 'privilege' to call someone a "dirty tr*nny" and incite violence against someone? Should someone be allowed to stand in front of a bar and point out a trans women so his or her friends can beat up on her? Should someone call upon trans people to be assaulted, raped, murdered because it's "their right"?

You're already taking away someone's right to walk in public or live a safe, comfortable life when you don't come in and say "Look, it's not okay to verbally assault people. It's not okay to threaten someone with violence."

You're no different than this woman.

15. BryanM

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    The more I read about Canada, the more enticing it becomes as a safe haven if Donald Drumpf becomes President.

And to the arguments that this is government overreach, it is government overreach in the same sense that desegregation in the US was overreach. Sometimes the feds do need to do things like this to tell states, regions, and provinces that certain acts of discrimination will not be tolerated.

16. Invidia

Invidia Guest

Far above the clouds, gazing deep below the Earth
    Anyone who would abuse a power does not deserve it. Freedom of speech is such a power. Transphobic, homophobic, racist, people, or people who hate the poor, sick or homeless, should all just shut up and take a good look at themselves. For them to voice their hateful opinions is, as it should be, illegal, though I wish the penalty was more severe.

17. YuriBunny

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Good way to put it. ^^

---------- Post added 19th May 2016 at 03:59 PM ----------

Ikr!?

18. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I don't think you're rebutting the freedom to say prejudiced things. These are actions which cause measurable inequality, and that's not good.

What you're talking about isn't simple free speech; it's disorderly conduct because, in layman's terms, it can be expected to raise hell and disrupt daily life. You can hang a banner from your house saying "I hate trannies" and while it's despicable, it's free speech because there is no clear victim. But when you target a particular person face-to-face, it's a little different story.

To continue my previous point, it's still not okay to verbally assault people, and especially not to threaten them. But those are already covered in the law. It's not okay to express hate for people either, but the ability to do so is necessary.

19. Nikky DoUrden

Would u allow the KKK or nazis freedom of speech ? :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

20. Nobo

Freedom of SPEECH as in words not going out and killing people