1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Activist Tactics

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by Noah, Feb 28, 2009.

1. Noah

Malcom X or MLK?
    Do we fight or love?
    Do we destroy Yes on 8 signs, or have discussions with the people who own them?
    Do we send hate mail, or do we send thoughtful letters?
    Do we riot, or peacefully march?
    Do we sink to their level?

I am worried about the hatred I've seen from the GLBT community. They are just people, who fear for their children and families. Let's not sink to their level.

2. LornTehViking

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    We do both. We should respond in appropriate ways for what's been done.

3. Greggers

Very good points.

The sad thing is the people we dont want to "sink to the level of" are NEVER going to have an honest discussion with us, read our thoughtful letters, or pay attention to our peaceful march. :frowning2: Its sad, but 99.9% true. People are stubborn shit. Anyone who makes there life goal to hate gay people, these are the people we dont want to sink to the level of, will never give us the time of day.

I do think there is a happy medium between hateful and peaceful though, and thats "non-violent resistance". Its not "peaceful" but it is not hate either. It makes a powerful statement and gets attention. Rather than trying to "change the minds" of radicals, it might be more productive to rally people against them. The best example of non-violent resistance is the father of it, Gandhi. If you want, i can get specific examples of him, but if you do any research on him you will found out that Gandhi was once FIERCE guy. It is 100% possible to stand up for ourselves without getting pushed over.

Just my thought :slight_smile: Ive basically given up on peacefully trying to make everyone love me for who i am. I have to be load and proud if im going to make a statement. But, i agree. No hate crimes against hetero people to get there. Thats one step forward, two steps back.

4. Wander

Wander Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Honestly, I'm getting tired of our huggy-wuggy signs and ads, with peaceful guitar music and harps playing in the background. It doesn't work. I mean holy fuck, black people were holding rebellions and marches as long and violently as possible in some cases, and it still took them two hundred years for total freedom. And they STILL get some of the worst discrimination. Passing out fliers isn't going to cut it, but neither is burning down Focus on the Family headquarters. Show them we're dead serious and not giving up.

5. Level N Human

Speak softly and carry a big stick. ^_~

6. Steve

Born in australia, but now living some where else
    lul wut im lost

7. Wander

Wander Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    HERE is the MAP:

[​IMG]

Where do you wish to go?

8. pirateninja

This is illegal, you know.

Sorry; couldn't resist :grin:

9. Wander

Wander Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Fine by me.

10. STK

STK Guest

I say we should find a middle ground. Don't be too passive, but don't be too aggressive either.

11. Noah

Excellent thoughts :slight_smile:
    I agree with Greg who said the happy medium is "nonviolent resistance". You're right, Ghandi didn't back down to anyone. People portray him as wishy washy, and that's really not true.

And I too tire of the stupid ads with the guitar music while the religious right talks about "protecting the needs of children". At the same time, we shouldn't go crazy on the people who hurt us. And for me at least, that's the hardest thing to do. Where do we draw the line?

12. Wander

Wander Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I say murder is fine so long as you don't dismember them afterwards. Then I have to call it overboard.

13. Emberstone

Be firm and unyeilding in your hope of equality, but dont sink to their level in your quest to get it.

14. Mr Bojangles

I think we need to be a bit radical, but quite passive too.