1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

LGBT News The Canadian conservative party just voted to change their definition of marriage

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by SoshySheri, May 28, 2016.

1. SoshySheri

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    So the conservative party of Canada finally voted to change their party's definition of marriage over a decade after same sex marriage has been legal here, better late than never right?

Still not voting for them anytime soon, shouldn't take a decade to move along with the rest of our Country

:eusa_clap
    :***::eusa_clap

2. Kira

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    A decade is a long time, but apparently not when waiting for republican/conservative parties to catch up with the others. At least they eventually admitted it, unlike their US counterparts. :lol:

3. Glowing Eyes

That took a while (especially considering it's Canada)

Better late than never I guess

4. Cauldron

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Still better than the GOP...

5. Browncoat

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    What a bunch of commies.

6. RavenTheRat

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Okay. Officially canadians have more sense than Americans (but literally everything else to ever exist already proves that.)
    What're colleges like in Canada? I'm considering going to college in either Canada, Japan, or New York. Just get me out of North Carolina to be honest.

7. Skaros

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    If it took 11 years for the Canadian conservative party to accept it, then I don't think the American conservative party will accept it in my lifetime.

8. faustian1

Canada is an excellent choice for colleges. There are fine colleges in Canada, just like in the United States. Tuition can be quite affordable in comparison.

While the Conservative Party may have changed its boilerplate definition of marriage, in the lengthy time it was in power the Harper government didn't do much to assail same-sex marriage. There really wasn't anything that they COULD do. It's established legal principle in Canada that same sex marriage is a Charter right.

Try this Canadian government website: Study in Canada

9. SoshySheri

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I went to cambrian college sudbury ontario, had four placements, was able to do my last placement in China, I enjoyed it. Took me a while to find a field of study but other than that I really liked it. Canadian college is more affordable than the US, and sometimes you can go do placements abroad in other countries, drinking age is 19, and 18 in Quebec. We have community college which are cheeper and are given better standing than private colleges I don't recommend private colleges, university is a bit more expensive but I know friends who went and I sat in on lectures in university and I had fun.

I also sat in on university when in kunming china, went to dance, piano, accordean, and vocals class, the coarse load is much heavier there 50 hours a week where canada we usually only have 28 hours of class a week or up to 40 hours when on placement.
    :thumbsup:

10. imnotreallysure

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Interesting. The British Conservative Party were the ones to legalise same-sex marriage in England and Wales.

11. Butterfly2016

12. JB2015

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    :lol: Exactly!

It took about 50 years for most of them to accept racial integration after the SCOTUS decision in
    Brown v. Board of Education in 1954.
    (I say 'most' because their are still people like Rand Paul who still believe businesses should be able to deny people service based on their race)

Let's not forget it took 3 years for Birmingham Alabama just to comply with the SCOTUS order.
    Nearly one year after the SCOTUS ruling in Obergefell v. Hodges there are still 10 Alabama counties not complying.

History repeats itself.

I think the younger users on here might see the end of this battle in our lifetime, but I think they will still be whining over what restroom people should be allowed to use :bang:

#12 JB2015, May 30, 2016
    Last edited: May 30, 2016
  13. guitar

Like Faustian said, since it was already legal, the conservative party didn't seem to care. It had bigger fish to fry while running the country. Harper is an evangelical, but he notably shut down his MPs from trying to reopen the abortion debate. I believe he did the same with gay marriage, but I could be wrong. Considering one of his cabinet ministers (John Baird) is gay, and another is suspected to be gay (Jason Kinney), Harper's government obviously shied away from bothering the gay community. In fact, there are a lot of gay conservative members of the party, affectionately known as "fabulous blue tent."

14. ChameleonSoul

Well at least they actually changed their stance, even if it took that long.

But the GOP is not likely to change their stance anytime soon seeming as how fundamentalism makes up the entire basis of their stances.