1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

LGBT News Game Developer Denies Early Access to Player for Supporting LGBT Rights

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by Spartan 117, Jun 1, 2016.

1. Spartan 117

Admin Team Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    One for my fellow gamers out there. :rolle:

More on Kotaku.

2. Glowing Eyes

Well that was uncalled for. If they don't wanna give somebody early access they should just not give it to them and not be total dicks about it. It's like when bigots leave insulting notes just to lgbt waiters/waitresses to show how much they hate lgbt people. If you don't wanna tip don't tip. No need to be such an ass. Sorry for going off on a bit of a rant.

3. Kira

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I wonder how rich I'd be if every time I didn't like a customer I told them to go fuck themselves. In the hole, actually. This is the sort of thing the US seems to be striving to make acceptable: "I don't like your shirt, so you can't buy this TV, fuck you."

Hopefully it's not the entire team, and just one "Kim Davis MkII" idiot.
    If it's the whole team I don't know why they're even making games, there's several other jobs you can do that don't have an audience, and you get to sit in the corner with your reprehensible opinions all day.

So yeah, discrimination still exists everyone. It won't die until it's attacked.

4. GeeLee

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Jim Sterling (thank God for him) did a video on this back in March and I think the only improvement since then has been it going into Early Access. Still looks like a God awful Crysis mod though. The game was already getting slaughtered in the Steam reviews too. This plus the dev doubling down on their idiocy has pretty much sunk them I'd say.

Which probably means it'll be at the top of the Steam best sellers list by the end of the week off the back of sales to straight arm saluters and the "muh free speech means freedom from criticism" crowd. Yes, I am that cynical about gaming fandom.

Bit on the dev doubling down - http://kotaku.com/developer-rejects-player-requesting-steam-key-for-suppo-1779901178 -

#4 GeeLee, Jun 1, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 1, 2016
  5. gaynerd64

As a game developer, I can't see the logic. Giving out codes through Facebook messenger is already bad enough, but to insult potential customers is ridiculous. I honestly wouldn't care who beta tested my game since the primary motive is to get feedback before release.

6. Sagume Kishin

How spiteful of them.
    There is no logic. Just mindless hatred even when anyone with a brain would realise it's a terrible idea.

But hearing of all of the support for the player makes me happy.

#6 Sagume Kishin, Jun 1, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 1, 2016
  7. Cauldron

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Just looked it up on steam, The game is getting slammed with bad reviews, On top calling out the developer.

8. silverdeer

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Wow this is the first time I have heard of something like this happening. I can't believe their homophobia is so bad they won't even let even gay-supporters play the game.

---------- Post added 2nd Jun 2016 at 01:36 AM ----------

Oh just read that update, looks like they got fired.

9. Nikky DoUrden

I dont understand, was it the developer that replied ?
    Because ... "We have fired both editor and managing director", thats not developer job title in there ..

It also always amazes me when people who work in scientific/logic fields have such strange opinions on life, it makes me wonder if it affects their jobs, pouring illogic into it..

10. Invidia

Invidia Guest

Far above the clouds, gazing deep below the Earth
    First of all: Learn proper English, for crying out loud, a**face.
    Second of all: Just... why? It's almost endearing... a company, choosing to prioritize the integrity of their (however repugnant) personal values over capitalist profit. Just... wow. That's something.

Can someone more well-versed in psychology, sociology or so please explain to me why people hold so tight to values regarding things that don't concern them in the slightest? Like... "OMG, there exist in this world women who enjoy having sex with other women... somehow this is very important to me, even though it's not close enough in any way for me to be relatable. I guess I'm just kind of a shi**y person who needs to dump my randomly evil beliefs somewhere..."!?!?!? Uhg... I don't get it ... XD

11. Chiroptera

Admin Team Full Member

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Ok. I'll remember the name of this company, and i'll make sure to not buy anything from them, and that i warn my friends to not buy anything either, unless i see a drastic change in their attitude.

I don't think it is enough to say "i'm sorry, we fired that guy". They let someone like that enter their team and offend a customer who just asked for a key.

I won't lose much not buying their games anyway. Apparently, they don't have any good titles anyway.

If they actually publish something supporting LGBT rights in the future, then i'll reconsider looking at their titles. Not every company needs to fight for us, of course, but i think that, in this case, "we are sorry" is simply not enough.

But, for now, i'll pay attention to not buy games from them.

12. Batman

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I was thinking the same :grin:

But yeah, if they're open with their beliefs, then they have to be open to criticisms from people who disagree with them. (And if it's a shit game, then it's a shit game.)

im surprised how well everyone allied up on this, considering how well known the community is for slurs and homophobia. Yay.

13. Butterfly2016

Nothing surprises me anymore....I swear, people are just dumb..

14. Chiroptera

Admin Team Full Member

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    The gamer community?

That is true if you are talking about LoL players and MOBAs in general (i play MOBAs, and i know how toxic their communities are). But, MOBAs aside, i think that the gamer community is quite welcoming, in fact.

Different experiences i guess.

15. Lazuri

I don't wanna sound racist, but I'm gonna bet that the game is being developed by Russians.

16. Hatsune Miku

more proof that steam has the best reviews of anything