1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

LGBT News Russian crime gangs target LGBT for blackmail

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by sldanlm, Jun 5, 2016.

1. sldanlm

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Russian crime gangs find gays easy targets for blackmail | FOX13

The gay rights group Vykhod, or Coming Out, said they registered 12 such attacks in St. Petersburg in 2015 and at least six more gay men have come to them so far this year. LGBT activists believe the real number is far higher and say the attacks have increased in the past two years.

Since homosexuality finds little acceptance in Russian society, many gays keep their sexual orientation hidden from their families, friends and co-workers. This makes them easy extortion targets for criminals

Alexander Zhelezkin, who manages outreach programs at Positive Dialogue, said the law was what made him decide to become a gay activist.

"Now, my coming out is my defense," he said.

For prominent television journalist Anton Krasovsky, however, that move ended his career in Russia. He was fired after he came out on the air in 2013 and has been unable to find a job in television since.

2. lemons123

Interesting, as the motto of the french revolution was Equality, Liberty, Fraternity - the opposite could be: "Russia, the West, Radical Islam".

3. Eris

Eris Guest

This is very, very sad. I have a gay Russian friend who told me that he really wants to leave his country but is unable to do so. He has no choice but to bear with being oppressed.

4. faustian1

I think this shows the fine line, between liberation and oppression. It also argues in favor of vigilance and political activism. Just as Russia has U-turned into repression, so could any "western" country. In the United States, our excessively puritannical collective view of anything sexual is impulsively and randomly applied, and could come for us at any moment, as happened in the 1980's with the HIV crisis, after a liberalizing period in the 1970's.

5. Kira

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Humans just never learn, do they? Wonder how many US citizens would move there so they can be even more vocal and volatile.

Maybe the other planets are full of life, and they're just hiding from us. Wouldn't blame em. :dry: