1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

General News Restaurant that killed customer with nut allergy sends apology email advertising new

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by Awesome, Jun 9, 2016.

1. Awesome

In college in Massachusetts, from Pennsylvania
    Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Restaurant that killed customer with nut allergy sends apology email advertising new dessert range | Tyne Tees - ITV News

I feel that our society deems some kinds of brutal deaths worse than others. It doesn't matter that it was a careless mistake. That doesn't change the fact that someone died. Criminally negligent manslaughter shouldn't be taken lightly.

2. YuriBunny

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Re: Restaurant that killed customer with nut allergy sends apology email advertising

I feel like that's an especially sad way to die, because it could've been prevented if people weren't so careless.

3. Kira

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Re: Restaurant that killed customer with nut allergy sends apology email advertising

Doesn't seem like they learned their lesson, to say the lest. It's simple too.

1: Be careful. Very careful. Allergies aren't to be taken lightly, asking doesn't hurt. If you make an honest mistake, don't try to cover it up. That could make it much worse.

2: The family is probably not in the mood to hear reasons why they should come back to the restaurant where one of their own perished. :rolle:

I'd felt as if this issue were common knowledge...

4. kibou97

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people

Was it the victim and their families fault for not knowing about what was specifically in the food until it was too late? Probably. That doesn't mean that the restaurant should go into advertising something when discussing the death of someone that occurred at the location whether it be their fault or not, it just gives off a huge apathetic vibe that can only serve to make ones grieving that much worse than it already is.

5. GodlyArmadillo

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone

Uh, except that he told them he wanted the curry without nuts? Why, do tell, should I expect nuts in a plate when I specifically said I can't eat nuts?

6. bubbles123

bubbles123 Guest

Very sad. Also troubling how often that happens. Some people don't realize that traces of nuts or nut ingredients can be in anything. Went to eat ice cream with my friend once and she asked if a specific flavor had any nuts. The lady said no, but of course it did. Luckily there was a pharmacy down the street.
    Also, why would you advertize desserts in an apology letter. It's not some PR thing, it's very serious.

7. Austin

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone

6 years in jail for a mistake the owner probably didn't make himself?

8. kibou97

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people

I want to apoligize for making that post. I think it's more than obvious I didn't pay close attention at all to the contents of the article, even though I should have, especially on a topic like this. It was certainly a mistake on my part. I should not have said that, it wasn't the victim's fault at all with what happened. You can call me Insensitive, naive, or just plain horrible, you can even say that I don't pay attention anywhere near the amount I should, and I wouldn't blame you.

#8 kibou97, Jun 9, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 9, 2016
  9. Ram90

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people

Chill burai97. That's ok. We're a nice community :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:. No one is blaming you. Let's move on. :slight_smile: (*hug*)

As for the allergy thing, I know it's quite common in countries like USA. I'm not sure about the rest of the world, but here in India things like Soy Allergy, Lactose-Intolerance, Nut-Allergy, Gluten-Intolerance are almost unheard of. Maybe since we're immune to quite a lot, or simply due to misinformation/not sufficient exposure.

I'm not trying to defend the restaurant by any means, but I do say that if such allergies and intolerances can be deadly then they should be educated to everyone. I for one didn't hear about half the intolerances. I knew about it from candy/chocolates my dad got from USA which had a ton of warnings on it for various things.

10. 741852963

Do not feel sorry for him, the owner was responsible here.

He substituted expensive nut-free ingredients to cheap ones containing peanuts oil to save costs, and then wilfully allowed customers with nut allergies (one other girl nearly died too) to dine there.