1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

[AMAZING Similarities] Between 'Jim Crow' (Anti-Black) Laws & Anti-Gay Laws of Today

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by tazz, Mar 5, 2009.

1. tazz

tazz Guest

You know...it's funny how people think we 'learn' from our past...I say quite the opposite. Hatred is something that cults and their brainwashed congregation thrive on and I believe that although this is something that will always exist...it is definitely something that can be controlled.

Which brings me to my next point, have you ever heard of the Jim Crow laws? They were anti-black legislation that were intact for nearly 100 years...the premise of these laws were simply: separate but equal status for African-Americans (or as they commonly referred to them; 'negroes'). They would constantly have arguments like "blacks can drink out of water fountains, but they have to do it way over there...unlike everyone else"

I mean, if you read the wikipedia article you'll be amazed at the similarities in hatred, things like

- Miscegenation being illegal (miscegenation means the mixing or blending of race in marriage or breeding), now I ask myself: where were those "marriage is between one man and one woman" activists then?

- Several of the bigots feared having their kids attend schools with black people and successfully banned them by creating separate schools....I guess they just didn't want to "explain to their children" the differences between other people...sound familiar?

- Adoption laws had precepts like "Adoption [Statute] Required that due regard be given to race on adoption petitions" --- Notice how they didn't mention blacks directly, the same ways the adoption laws in Arkansas didn't mention explicitly mention gays either? -- but anyone with an IQ of 12 or higher clearly understood it's intent?

- They were democratically enacted laws by the majority (prop 8 anyone?)

- Oh yeah, the protests....we can't forget about the protests now can we?

Check out this pic from the 60's
    [​IMG]

...and now check this one out...from the year 2007
    [​IMG]

2. antarranger

Re: [AMAZING Similarities] Between 'Jim Crow' (Anti-Black) Laws & Anti-Gay Laws of To

It still amazes me how hateful people can be over tiny things.

3. AtticusFinch

Re: [AMAZING Similarities] Between 'Jim Crow' (Anti-Black) Laws & Anti-Gay Laws of To

People say that "Gay marriage is not a part of the bible." I'm assuming that interracial marriage also was not a part of the bible. People say that "Gay marriage teaches that it is okay to be gay." I'm assuming that civil rights era people said that interracial marriage teaches that it's okay to be black.

It angers me so much that people are ignorant. The whole "AIDS is god's punishment for being gay" is the most ridiculous thing I have ever heard... does that mean that everyone who has AIDS is gay??? The demographic with the highest proportion of HIV+ people is straight African American women.

People need to use a tiny bit of logic occasionally...

4. antarranger

Logic where!? I don't see any of this logic but yea they reily need to take a look at them selfs.

5. Greggers

If you can find ONE solid point against gay marriage that is non-religious, then ill listen to it.

But if your supposed to have separate church and state and all you can find in a verse in the bible, then maybe you need to move back to a fascist country?

6. Alex19

things are really messed up... ignorance and hatred run deep.... but things, slowly but surely, will get better. if it did for women and black ppl, why not us?

7. Ronnie92

Well not all of us lol but yeah. We are treated equally now, lets hope the LGBT ones are treated just as well.