1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

LGBT News Trans Man Assaulted in Portland; No Life-Threatening Injuries, Investigation Pending

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by thepandaboss, Jun 18, 2016.

1. thepandaboss

Witnesses say gay slur sparked fight on MAX train | KGW.com

And this one hits pretty close to home on my end- I live near Portland...

The guy who got assaulted is recovering from what I'm hearing and the investigation's pending.

2. AlamoCity

Re: Trans Man Assaulted in Portland; No Life-Threatening Injuries, Investigation Pend

Hope he recovers.

What I wonder is what was the "gay slur" and how come the report says "transgender man." No one was interviewed for the news report and so it's very specific for that to be released by the media. Did it make it to the police report?

3. thepandaboss

Re: Trans Man Assaulted in Portland; No Life-Threatening Injuries, Investigation Pend

The guy was openly trans, far as I know. I think his friends or family might've updated the press on his preferred name and stuff. And from rumors I've heard in my neck of the woods, the word was "f*ggot", there were threats about how the trans man should've been in Orlando, stuff like that...

4. AlamoCity

Pretty bad, especially the Orlando part.

Guess you have a good grapevine :lol:.

5. thepandaboss

I'm not gonna lie, I live near there and I follow a bunch of the local trans groups on Facebook and stuff. So very well might have encountered people who know this guy personally- I don't though.

6. gravechild

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people

I have a lot of trans guy friends who live there. I've always gotten the idea that it was extremely tolerant, so this is as shocking as it is depressing. Not sure if this might be due to the backlash against LGBT, a possibly higher number of trans men out and proud there, or simply an unfortunate coincidence...

7. thepandaboss

It is but Portland's big enough that shit still happens. I was assaulted by a date in my own home town. We have more awareness now and unfortunately, that often backfires... Well, I'm gonna be up in Portland today. I'm bringing pepper spray and staying off public transit.

8. Kira

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people

As violent as people have been lately, it's great that he's alive and such...

9. Pret Allez

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people

What a fucker... :frowning2: I hope he's okay, and someone kicks the attacker's ass.

Keep doing the super important work of vigilance and keeping our family safe <3

10. LGBTQueen

Oh no! I live near Portland too, so I don't know how I did not know this before!:tears: