1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

General News 5 people stabbed at "white nationalist" rally in Sacramento

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by Libertino, Jun 26, 2016.

1. Libertino

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    At least seven stabbed at Sacramento neo-Nazi demonstration - NY Daily News

A group that's been various called "White nationalist", "neo-Nazi", and "white supremacist" staged a rally at the California State Capitol in Sacramento. They were a group of about 25. Around 150 counter-protestors came. Eventually, some rushed into the crowd with sticks, and five people (or seven, depending on the article), on both sides, ended up getting stabbed.

Is this kind of thing inevitable when a hate group holds a demonstration? Can people be surprised when there is violence at such an event?

#1 Libertino, Jun 26, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 26, 2016
  2. AlamoCity

3. Libertino

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Yes, I remember hearing about that one. I'll be perfectly honest: I don't care one bit if a KKK member or member of some other kind of hate group is injured. There is not one cell in my body that cares.

At the same time, reacting violently to these people is not a solution. Hate groups will always exist, and the strong resistance they meet only fuels their hateful agenda. It isn't going to make them go away. Sometimes it's hard to resist the passionate opposition you feel to these people, but ultimately, I think that's what needs to be done.

But I do recognize why there is violence at these events, and just as there will always be hate groups, there will be violence when they demonstrate.

4. Kira

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I've definitely heard of counter-protests at Westboro events, as in bikers obstructing their path to the funerals and all, but I'd never heard of stabbing or anything like that.

I suppose it makes sense that a rally of violent ideals will eventually attract violent attention. :confused:

5. Libertino

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    With the climate of BLM, mass shootings, and Trump, it doesn't surprise me that these events are starting to draw some violent ire. I worry we may see more of this if Trump becomes president.

6. thepandaboss

I am so fucking glad I moved out of that hell hole town. Believe me, when I heard about this, I really wasn't surprised at all.

7. RavenTheRat

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I know it's terrible, but I can't side with the anti-protesters on this one. Everyone has a right to protest, even if obviously we don't WANT to hear their racist commentary. And the group that attacked them simply didn't have a right to. While their side may not be the kindest, they didn't hurt anyone as far as I know. The attack only places more hatred into an already hateful situation. These groups will always exist. The only way to prevent an escalating situation is to just ignore them unless they provide good reason not to.

#7 RavenTheRat, Jun 28, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 28, 2016
  8. Libertino

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I visit Sacramento a lot; it's not far from where I live and I have a number of friends there. I didn't know it attracted white supremacists to this degree, but it is a bit disheartening.

This is what the leader of the nationalist group had to say about Donald Trump: "Donald Trump is not one of us, which is why we're not officially endorsing him, but he's introducing these ideas to the public."

Attacking them violently is obviously not the solution. But neither is ignoring them. Angry counter-protest is needed.

#8 Libertino, Jun 28, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 28, 2016
  9. SpaceOddity

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    When any group with such extremist views whichever they may be holds a public event or protest there are going to be people who are going to be pissed off. It may sound cliche, but violence isn't the answer because it resolves nothing. Why? Because it just gives THAT opposing group another reason to hate the defence and visa versa. Look how they reacted after the violence, look st their quotes, they were actually happy with the result.

10. Glowing Eyes

Why don't these people realize that they're sending their own cause backwards? Yes, racists are assholes but by physically attacking them, the counter-protestors become the headline. Like, a while ago this apparently happened here at Stone Mountain (I don't think it was as bad but police were there) and the story was about the counter-protestors being violent. Had they not done that, the white-nationalists would have been the story and all the disgust would have been towards them. They're taking the negative attention away from bigots and putting it on themselves and just can't seem to get it.

#10 Glowing Eyes, Jul 1, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 1, 2016
  11. Invidia

Invidia Guest

Far above the clouds, gazing deep below the Earth
    I don't think Nazis and the ultra-right, or even far-right, should have a right to protest, just as I don't think individual people should have a right to run around town screaming "n****r!" It's just not okay.

Nor will I lament, or applaud, the death of people who holds such corroded views. I just don't care.

Counter-protest is often productive, no matter what pacifists say. Yes, it has some negative side-effects often, but sometimes that's just a risk you're going to have to take. It isn't okay for the far-right to burn the houses of migrants or spit on the homeless. It isn't okay even to think that's okay.

12. Libra Neko

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    When will people finally figure out that violence doesn't solve anything? Not that I feel really bad that hateful people would be treated badly.

13. Plattyrex

The best way to solve social issues is by behaving like savage barbarians. I should have guessed.

14. Libertino

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    But of course. If you can't solve something with your words, solve it with knives :wink: