1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

LGBT News Violence and arrests at "banned" Istanbul gay pride

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by 741852963, Jun 28, 2016.

1. 741852963

I'm surprised this one hasn't been picked up.

Basically the annual gay pride event in Istanbul (and an earlier trans pride event) have been "banned" this year...officials citing "safety and security" reasons because of threats from right-wing and religious groups, with one of the crux of these groups arguments being that the event is "inappropriate" during Ramadan.

This comes shortly after a Radiohead album release party was attacked due to causing "moral-outrage" due to the consumption of alcohol.

Defiant, gay people attended the event, only to be met by riot police using batons, tear gas and rubber bullets. I think the irony of officials claiming the reasons of "defending the peace" and "protecting people" in justifying this ban, and then physically harming gay people themselves really says it all.

They want gay people to be neither seen and heard.

German politicians detained as police fire tear gas at Istanbul gay pride demonstration - ABC News (Australian Broadcasting Corporation)

2. Libertino

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    The Islamist government in Turkey is hopelessly corrupt and hypocritical. It is becoming more and more oppressive by the day. Erdogan is nothing short of an ayatollah.

If things continue the way they do and Erdogan continues to increase his autocratic power, I foresee increased conflict, and possibly even revolution and civil war to come.

3. Libertino

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Gunfire and explosions at Istanbul airport just reported. I spoke too soon.

4. Kira

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    "We're going to issue a full-frontal assault on you, despite already being under attack, because we want to protect you of course!"

If you're going to be a dick, at least be honest about it. Seriously.
    Don't know who invited so many to the "batshit crazy" train.

5. Libra Neko

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Grateful I don't live there. How awful.

6. Glowing Eyes

Is Erdogan getting his inspiration from Putin?

---------- Post added 1st Jul 2016 at 04:33 PM ----------

While I was in Turkey last week, I actually heard a few people say how they want a revolution (one of those was my grandma).

As for Erdogan, he's starting to become somewhat of a dictator with the way he shuts down anybody who doesn't like him. He's also pretty sexist.

#6 Glowing Eyes, Jul 1, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 1, 2016
  7. steellord1234

yeah i knew this would happen when i read that it was 'cancelled.' It's always the 'security' forces that cause the biggest risk to security to unarmed civilians just trying to have some harmless fun. It makes not give a shit about the attack at the airport frankly

My school used to have a 'naked mile' and i still recall the last time thousands gathered for this. The cops had warned it's a security risk and to see cops on horseback, on roofs and helicopters for some historically harmless event was just appalling