1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

General News The police in USA seem to be poorly trained

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by brainwashed, Jul 6, 2016.

1. brainwashed

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
  2. photoguy93

Officers like this*.

I say that because if we lump all of them together as bad, we won't get anywhere. I'm going to be a nurse soon. Recently, there was a story about a nurse that stole pain medication (like took it out of syringes) and gave patients normal saline solution. I don't want that reflecting on me!

There are plenty of good natured police officers out there and we must not say that all are bad. We have to figure out what is creating some of these officers to go ape shit.

3. Psaurus918

I don't think it's that they're poorly trained. I think cops are at a point where they think they're invincible. Shoot someone? All they have to do is "think" someone had a gun and they'll more than likely get away with it.

Also cops seem to be above the law. You "lie" to the cops you look guilty, they lie to you? Part of their job.

You run a yellow light? Ticket. Talk on cell phone? Ticket. Forget to use your blinker? Ticket. Cop? NOPE.

Just today I was driving 58 in a 55 and a cop flew past me like I was standing still with NO lights on changing lanes with no turn signals.

It seems like cops went from protecting us to trying to punish as many people as they can (innocent or guilty) just to make themselves look good and make the town/county/state money.

4. purplewolf6

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Family only
    That's true. As long as some cops feel invincible and keep getting off with doing things we'd get locked up for this will continue.

5. Shorthaul

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Like any profession, only the 10% that are lousy get press coverage and media attention. I have dealt with plenty of cops due to work, out of the last 10, 1 had the badge complex, another was just having a bad day. The other 8 were all professional. Also keep in mind it is not an easy job and they spend most of their day dealing with people who are at their worst.

6. Invidia

Invidia Guest

Far above the clouds, gazing deep below the Earth
    Well, ever watched Cops? Lol.

7. AmyBee

I don't think they're poorly trained. I just think the training can't overcome certain negative aspects of human behavior.

8. peterw78165

peterw78165 Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    If you wanna see "poorly-trained", look no further than the TSA.

9. CyclingFan

Yes, police are poorly trained, especially in many rural areas that do not have the funding for extensive training. They get a few weeks at most, and if they're a veteran that is overweighted tremendously.

The difference between being a cop and being in the infantry should be vast. It's not currently in this country.

Also, being a cop is still a great position to be in if you are an authoritarian dickhead who wants power over the powerless.

(Before someone says it, yeah, not all cops. Duh. But enough)

10. Pret Allez

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I see that and raise you Philando Castile.

What is with police violence in this country? Why is it that charges are so seldom brought, and why are juries failing to convict so often?

#10 Pret Allez, Jul 7, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 7, 2016
  11. Nordland

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    This kind of egoistic and "I'm invincible" behaviour is something you would expect from a teenager not a policeman. It puts the very people they are meant to protect at risk.

12. NoXsOrOs

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Some people
    #12 NoXsOrOs, Jul 7, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 7, 2016
  13. Libertino

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    It's amazing the extent to which Native American issues are underrepresented. It's safe to say a lot of people forget they even exist.

Of course white people have the highest total count though; they are still the majority demographic.

14. PrettyinPunk

I'm sure the training could be better, but I think it's more of poor assessment of potential officers. To be a cop you pretty much need to have no criminal background, pass a drug test and physical test. There's not enough proper scenario and psychological analysis done in many cases.

Granted the average officer is unlikely to experience a deadly gun related crime, nonetheless correct protocol is necessary. Take the recent incident with Mr. Castile. That officer's behavior is evidence that he should have never been allowed to hold a gun. The worst part is no one (not the general public) seems to care about this issue. A lot of the time cops who are involved in these tragedies get slaps on the wrists. Time off is the punishment then back on the job with weapon in tow.

I know there's many great cops out there but so long as any possibly unstable individual can just shoot whoever they please with little repercussion, it's not really a silver lining. It's all just very sad.

This is incredibly sad and true unfortunately. Native people are poorly represented in American society. As a native person who was not born or raised on a reservation, I often feel culturally estranged and unseen in general.

15. dreamcatcher

I don't think that most police have an "I'm invincible" or "I'm above you kind of attitude." Most police officers don't want to kill people. They just want to stay alive. However, I think the problem lies in the kind of training they receive. They don't receive enough training in how to talk to people and how to de-escalate a situation. Additionally, during their training, police officers learn to always look out for themselves first (survival is number 1 kind of attitude) and establish themselves as an authority, which can often lead to problems. And of course when you add that mentality with prejudice that is ingrained from childhood, it's a recipe for disaster. Most police officers actively go out seeking for trouble and killing young black men for no reason. I just think that their training has made them paranoid and always afraid of danger and when you combine that with the stereotypes that they already have about people of color, it makes them more likely to act aggressively in what should have been a non-confrontational situation.

Since it will be years before we can get rid of institutional racism and prejudice, I think the best solution for this problem is to change the way police are trained. They should receive more instruction on psychology, racism, and bias as well as change the notion of establishing themselves as authorities. They should also receive more instruction on conflict resolution, communicating, and dealing with people with mental disorders. Finally, they should learn more on how to identify a threat and and learn other tactics and strategies on how to take down a threat without using any weapons .

This is a great article that talks about this issue and I recommend it for anyone who is interested. It's from 2014 but it's still very relevant.

How Police Training Contributes to Avoidable Deaths - The Atlantic

16. greatwhale

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    In America today, there are two tiers: one public and one private. Since the election of Ronald Reagan, there has been a beggaring of public services, and a privatization of services that were once a public responsibility.

Since the Reagan Neo-libertarian political revolution, the rise of private security services, gated communities and the like have resulted in a situation where the rich can live comfortable and relatively safe lives away from the unwashed masses, for them, police and security are a matter of paying for it.

Public institutions, which were once well-funded organizations have had to cut funding for training in conflict resolution, threat detection and the like. They have also had to rely on asset forfeiture laws that allow them to act as highway bandits, seizing cash from innocent people who are unlucky enough to be stopped by police for whatever reason, or none. Finally, they have had to rely on donations of military equipment that have given some of them this God-complex. Add in a mixture of macho bravado, fear and racism, and this is the result.

Truly sad, all told.

17. CyclingFan

I agree with all of this except the add in of racism.

Racism is the motivation for the actions taken by Reagan and the rest of those bastards, not an add in. Lots of white people were perfectly happy with those evil government social programs until Black people started getting them too.

18. n3ko

cannot comment on US affairs but I am curious, if it is a constitutional right to keep and bear arms why aren't police trained to disarm without the use of non-lethal or lethal force?