1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

General News Four Dallas Police Officers Killed; many more shot

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by AlamoCity, Jul 8, 2016.

1. AlamoCity

2. xenu

This happened at a Black Lives Matter gathering that was peaceful before violence erupted. I don't want to point fingers prematurely, but I have my suspicions here.

#2 xenu, Jul 8, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 8, 2016
  3. CoderK

I swear to god people hate the police just because of a few terrible policemen. This is terrible. People need to learn how to end the cycle, and that if they want equality, they cannot be like this(Assuming it was a person who came from BLM).

4. CyclingFan

If only there had been someone there with a gun to shoot back, this tragedy could have been prevented.

5. Daydreamer1

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Fuck, man. I wonder when we can expect Obama to give another press conference about this, since we sure do love gun violence here.

#5 Daydreamer1, Jul 8, 2016
  6. CyclingFan

usa! Usa! Usa!

7. Glowing Eyes

Wtf is wrong with some people?

8. Libertino

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    The sniper has been identified as Micah Xavier Johnson. A 25-year-old black man from Mesquite, Texas.

He has no known criminal record nor ties to any terrorist or criminal organizations.

He claimed he was upset about police killings and the BLM movement. According to the Dallas police chief, "The suspect said he was upset at white people. The suspect stated he wanted to kill white people, especially white officers."

Micah Xavier Johnson identified as Dallas gunman: Report - Washington Times

Fantastic. Racism and violence to combat racism and violence. We sure know how to handle our issues, America.

9. Daydreamer1

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Was he wearing camo? I heard Cenk from The Young Turks say his picture was shown, and he turned himself in saying it was in in the picture, but he wasn't involved with the shooting--and so far, they don't know who the sniper is.

10. Kira

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    More gun violence from the US, I really wish I could say I was surprised but I simply cannot. :help:

11. peterw78165

peterw78165 Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm not surprised either.

12. BobObob

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    BLM protesters in the past have chanted "What do we want? Dead cops! When do we want it? Now!" It's no surprise that a BLM protester actually killed cops just for being white cops.

EDIT: Video of the "dead cops" chant.

#12 BobObob, Jul 8, 2016
  13. 741852963

And their founder retweeted a comment yesterday about "eliminating police", still showing:

https://twitter.com/aliciagarza?lang=en-gb

This group and their supporters and promoters (like Beyonce for example) are accountable in part for the actions today.

They are not fighting for equality, they are not achieving equality, they are only causing division and hatred to spread.

They are ignoring statistics, and have blown up specific examples to create a false narrative that institutionalised racism is present in all police officers and the sole cause of police killings, and that sole victims are black people (when the majority killed without media fanfare are white). This just isn't true when you look at the statistics. The vast majority of police killings are lawful self-defence, the small remainder are mainly either down to general incompetence/inadequate training or in rarer instances general police brutality or in some smaller instances racially motivated attacks. What BLM and their ilk have done is use overall statistics of police killings and suggested they all fall into that last category.

Now I do think we should be trying to tackle racism, but there is a way to do it. How long have we seen this "f**k the police" message across aspects of black culture, and the "pigs" and "bacon" slurs? That isn't conducive to progress and cooperation, it all creates division.

When we look at gay rights, historically the police and the LGBT community have not got on at all - complete enemies. That's largely changed, why? By us demonizing them? By attacking them? By continuing the narrative that because they were bad in the past/because some officers are bad we keep them at arms length and criticise them? No. By us inviting them to the table, "infiltrating" the communities as LGBT officers, getting police involved in pride, and cooperating. I imagine in the earlier days that was uncomfortable or awkward, but it has bloody worked.

Now it isn't one sided here, what can police do to help? To me that is a tricky one. The calls to ban guns on officers seems ludicrous to me given the state of American society and gun culture. Failing to equip these officers with guns would be like sending them to a knife fight with a spoon. And I think these guys are incredibly brave, when attending even a domestic dispute could land a bullet in your head - it must take a lot to go to a job like that everyday and not be tense or on edge. Instead I think we need education on reducing racial profiling. We need education on identifying and responding to cues of violence. We need training on non-lethal forms of restraint, and we need provision of better defensive equipment and protection.

I think even looking at the extreme examples of police brutality we've had in the last week - do any of us actually believe these officers have gone out and thought "I'm going to kill a black person today" or revelled in doing so? No, I personally think they've panicked, probably due to some degree of racial stereotyping exaggerating the perceived threat, and done something idiotic. I think the above solutions on both sides could reduce instances like that. But that isn't what BLM is calling for, their movement is not specific and seems to just perpetuate victimhood.

#13 741852963, Jul 8, 2016
  14. CyclingFan

This is some real racist guilt by association crap. attempting to connect peaceful protesters with the most violent parts on the fringe only serves those with an interest in committing violence.

Were gay people at fault because the asshole that murdered so many people in Orlando might have been gay?

15. NoXsOrOs

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I'll chock this up to another hate group:
    BLS
    Maybe soon we will start dividing the regular folk from the illusion that bls is an anti-racism group. Maybe something like All lives matter.
    Clearly this is an Anti-police, Anti-white group.
    Get ready for martial law -_-

16. BobObob

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Are there any LGBT rights groups that openly advocate murder? I gave a specific example of many BLM activists openly supporting murder. If there were a group of people supporting LGBT rights who openly advocated murder, and one person who identifies as part of that group actually carried out murder, I would call them out for advocating murder.

Besides, I didn't say that all people involved with BLM protests are at fault for the Dallas murders, as you seem to imply. But I do think that those who support indiscriminate killing of police officers in retaliation to murders/manslaughters by racist cops should be called out for what they say.

---------- Post added 8th Jul 2016 at 02:49 PM ----------

That's still being killed by someone because of the color of skin. People should protest that, even in cases in which it is manslaughter done out of fear. The fact remains that many people killed by police out of fear would've been alive if they didn't have black skin. I'm willing to bet that many people who were killed in situations similar to the one in Minnesota would be alive if they weren't black.

That being said, the fact that someone is protesting killings by racist cops doesn't mean that advocating the murder of unaffiliated cops shouldn't be criticized.

#16 BobObob, Jul 8, 2016
  17. NoXsOrOs

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Some people
    You should look at how many white people die from police.. "Because of their skin"; about a bit over 500, more than any other race doubled up, but that won't be on the news anytime soon.

18. BobObob

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    That's an apples-to-oranges comparison because gay people rarely advocate for the murder of gay people (like some BLM activists have for cops).

If a group of self-hating gay people advocated for the murder of gay people, and one of them murdered gay people, I would also say of them that it's not surprising that one of them committed murder.

#18 BobObob, Jul 8, 2016
  19. Invidia

Invidia Guest

Far above the clouds, gazing deep below the Earth
    This part I agree with. Martial law seems ever too likely in the US. It's been seemingly edging towards that conclusion for a good while now, and one could already say that it has started, what with the police getting armed with military getup, tanks and whatnot. Of course we can protest, that's our democratic right, but just shooting police because they belong to the demographic 'police'? That if any is sure to be an incitement for martial law, plus it's just plain wrong. This is what happens when radicals forget to separate system from individual. In my opinion, being a radical myself, the highest aspiration of a radical is to correctly analyze a structure and change it for the better with minimal negative consequences; the target shall also be the system, not its apparent manifestations. This is something that is simply difficult for the emotionally motivated person to do, however, and often results in disaster and tragedy. That's something I'm aware of.

20. AlamoCity

Reminds me of the other BLM incident where protestors trained guns on law enforcement. Of course, this was the Bureau of Land Management (Department of the Interior) vs. "patriots" over grazing fees.