1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

should gays be allowed kids?

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by silas99, Mar 10, 2009.

1. silas99

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    So enigma said in another thread that he wanted more debate so i have another topic:

I have had many discussions on the topic of fertility treatment for lesbians and gay adoption and about the equality between sexualities.

But is it fair on a child to bring them into our world of prejudice? Is it fair on an innocent kid to be bullied at school because he has two moms? Is it selfish of us to want a family....are we in reality forgetting about the welfare of the child psychologically?

What do people think?

2. Shevanel

yep :slight_smile: seriously, if I'm denied children just because I end up with a guy rather than a girl, i'm leaving the country? that's like the least valid argument ever.

3. silas99

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Ah but is it? Its been used against me before in a discussion and I wasn't sure how to respond. Because it is true that children are bullied because of their differences....are we providing the kindling for a fire that a child has no hope of avoiding.

4. Hoppip

Of course we should be allowed kids! How the hell else am I gonna feed my family?
    Ohhh, I kid, I kid.

But no seriously. Gay parents would be just as good role models as any other; in fact, they'd display androgynous personalities and undefined gender roles that would:
    1. Let kids see that gender roles are not set in stone;
    2. Let the children themselves express themselves far more in terms of gender and sexuality.​

In fact, I'd assume that the kids would be able to talk to their parents more easily about tough life situations. Gay people understand the stigma and hurt of being discriminated against, so they'd probably be far more empathetic with their children.

5. Shevanel

That's like saying its okay to abort a baby who you find out has down syndrome or some other birth defect. Life isn't meant to be easy. The complications we go through in life build who we are as people. I understand and respect people who don't want kids, that is fine. Personally, I want to be a father more than anything in the world, and ending up with a guy isn't going to stop me. A lot of others also want to be parents. To say that it wouldn't be fair to raise children as gay parents is really silly. Its not like i'm going to try to raise them gay or bisexual, they are who they are.

6. kettleoffish

It's not that two gays having a kid together is wrong, it's people's attitudes that are, and they're only going to change if gays with kids is seen as normal, so by not allowing gay couples to have kids, we would be worsening the situation overall. It might be hard on the child at school, but that's life I suppose. I'm sure a lot of us (myself included) know what it is like to not feel accepted at school and I realise it's hard, but it isn't the end of the world.

Sorry, but I can't resist. What's it like being the only gay in the village? :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

7. No One

I know a lot of kids in my school who have two moms and all of them are just fine. I think people are thinking more about their religious laws and rules than the welfare of the kids because by not allowing us to adopt they are taking homes away from kids who otherwise would have them. I just think that people are so ignorant on the fact, really every kid ha embarrassing kids just because my kids will have 2 dads dont mean that it will ruin their school life. all the kids in my school who have lesbian moms are never made fun of for it because they cant control that.

Im very passionate about this subject and am glad you brought it up i will defiantly be posting more.

8. Mysterons

Mysterons Guest

I think question should be how having two parents of the same sex can affect negatively the upbringing of a child (in terms of psychological development).

However, I agree with you on the fact that adopting a child and exposing him to social bullying would be very sad. Of course it's not our fault, but in the end the kid would be the worst affected.

9. silas99

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Lol....Matt Lucas and david Walliams are my idols!

10. Alannah26

I havent met any children from a gay family so I cant really say. I think it'll have an affect on the children- who said it's a bad one?
    I mean, kids with a mum and dad can also be picked on and get bullied. It really depends on the child, if they grew up knowing to defend themselves.

11. Shevanel

exactly, I think it has more to do with you being the responsible parent (not overprotective, just teaching your kids the right things) rather than what will happen to them. Think about it. Bullying in elementary school was irrational. 99.9% of everyone was bullied and have bullied others in some form or another. It is a part of growing up whether we like it or not. If we weren't bullied as children and then grew up to be bullied as adults, how would we react? we would cry and cower and run to our parents. It is just a stepping stone of life.

12. Alannah26

lol...I think I was in that 0.01% then. Never been bullied ever- I was the teacher's pet. :icon_wink
    I still understand the problem though- I mean, homosexuality isnt accepted by everyone. There will probably be those really close minded people who dont want their kids to play with the 'weird kid from the unnormal family'. Don't some ppl think that homosexuality is like the work of the devil or whatever?

13. Shevanel

But its the same way with just about everything, think about the Amish or other groups of people that shun normal parts of our everyday lives that you'd think are ridiculous. homosexuality is just the same?

14. Wander

Wander Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I think it's always selfish for people to want children for their own gratification no matter what the parents' identities, especially in the modern world. But if we're talking civil rights, everyone should have the option of having children, at least.

15. No One

what do you mean by that?

16. Alannah26

Yes, but that doesnt make them discriminate you because you dont follow their rules. They discriminate people because they're different. Races, types of religon, country... but sexual orientation has always been censored and even for some countries you get a death sentence for it. I mean race discrimination is also a big issue but it's at least in a better condition then homosexuality. I read the news everyday about the amount of gay people getting beaten to death... it's just horrible.

17. littledinosaurs

On this argument we better re-ban interracial marriage as so those kids aren't born into prejudice too. Also lets ban social-class different marriages too, can't have kids being born into families of rich and poor people, it'd be too conflicting on them.
    -_-
    this is a stupid topic.

18. littledinosaurs

Also i should force my kid to go on a strict diet from birth, that way he/she doesn't get bullied for being slightly fat.
    -_-

19. Shevanel

So we just quit?

Look at Jarrett's Post ^ Seriously, what are we, in the freakin 1600s here? He's right.

20. Alannah26

No...of course not. =) Thank God where I live, everything is legal- and I mean everything. So gay couples can get married and have children.
    I was just trying to say that I do understand the problem. But if you move to where I live then it will be a lot less of a problem.