1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

LGBT News Anglican Church of Canada Votes Against, then For, Gay Marriage

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by EdmontonGaymer, Jul 13, 2016.

1. EdmontonGaymer

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Anglicans pass same-sex marriage resolution after vote error discovered - The Globe and Mail

Some good news to share, earlier this week, the Canadian Anglicans voted against allowing gay marriage. It failed by one vote.

They needed a two thirds majority from three different groups voting, lay persons, clergy, and bishops. They got more than two thirds for both the bishops and lay people, but fell short in the clergy by less than the percentage of one vote.

Until Tuesday, when they were able to recheck, finding one priest had accidentally been counted as a layman. So the vote succeeds.

I am not religious, but I like watching society becoming more welcoming and inclusive. I was very disappointed hearing how close the vote failed by. Now I'm very happy to see what is generally a conservative group opening up. This is the third largest church in Canada, and to see something like this pass even there with three large majorities feels quite uplifting.