1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

LGBT News Teen comic on AGT jokes about Caitlyn Jenner

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by PlantSoul, Jul 15, 2016.

1. PlantSoul

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    https://m.mic.com/articles/148678/a...dez-joked-about-caitlyn-jenner-oof#.SKs9Ty9RZ

I find this horrible. The contestant is 13 years old. I thought her audition was good. She was funny and said things about Trump that seemed accurate. This, however, seems more like an attack on the youngest Kardashians, Kylie and Kendall, and their 'dad' who is their mom. I know this is very stressful for them. To crack jokes about this shows a lack of compassion and empathy. Cracking jokes certainly won't help them. Even worse, the audience was very receptive and she went through onto the semi-finals. I'm sure we all know she wouldn't have been so well received, had she joked about the gays. This is very telling at where the majority of American society is at when it comes to the Trans community.

2. iiimee

Eh, the kid's transphobic and so is the audience. So what? This isn't really news, and honestly, it's kind of hard to feel bad for Caitlyn after all the rude stuff SHE's said, but yeah, whatever. The kid shouldn't have said that, but the kid can say whatever she wants. End of story.

3. Psaurus918

Meh. I don't feel it was over the line, then again I love edgy comedians. I'm willing to bet she's not homophobic or transphobic, more along the lines of making jokes of what's popular like most comedians do.

Also I can't stand Jenner. I'm not trans but I feel bad that society made her the face of trans genders when she has done little for them.

4. Lone Dragon

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    It just seems she was just trying to make jokes about anything that's popular in the media. I agree with Psaurus918, I don't think she's transphobic, I think she's just willing to do whatever it takes to be funny. She probably didn't even come up with the joke all on her own. Though I have to say the reaction from the audience was kind of surprising, I didn't find it all that funny, more of shock that she said that.

5. Austin

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It's comedy. Everything is fair game.

6. Kasey

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yea I'm not feeling so bad here. After the look at me I'm trans routine she pulled, she's just another media whore like the Kardashians who are everything wrong with the world.

Now if she just started a joke like "I saw this tranny a Walmart..." that's a different story.

7. anthracite

anthracite Guest

It's a joke. And anybody who is angry about that better not dare joking about black people or any other minority. We need some self humor. Look at "shit trans guys say" on youtube. That's totally hilarious and everyone should be able to joke about others if he can joke about himself. So for that:
    Why did the german cross the road?
    To invade poland.

8. Chiroptera

Admin Team Full Member

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I don't think it was a great joke. I didn't find it funny.

However, it is a joke. Of course, anyone has the right to feel offended by it, but i don't think humour is a problem, and i think we should not worry about it so much.

9. RyeTheDauphin

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Y'know what? I'm one of those jerks who believes that you should be able to joke about anything you want. I'm sure the kid didn't intend to hurt anyone, the joke was funny for some people (I chuckled a bit myself)...whatever.

I believe in free speech over political correctness in comedy across the board. Yes, some jokes can be distasteful for good reason, but that doesn't mean we should say out of hand that there are subjects that cannot be covered in a way that'll challenge us or actually be funny.

My own example of an 'offensive' joke I heard a while back:
    Did you know that the latest statistics show that 9 out of 10 people enjoy gang rape?

10. Libra Neko

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    It doesn't bother me but it's not funny either. Maybe if I was trans I might be offended.

11. Robert

Robert Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Fucking disgusting.

It being a joke or being about Catlyn is no excuse. Its transphobic and hateful and will be condemned by all right thinking people.

12. Andrew99

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    That was kind of low of her. I think her act otherwise was pretty funny.

13. NoXsOrOs

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Two Words: Slippery Slope

14. RavenTheRat

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I'm a person who makes constant jokes at my own expense. To be honest, when it comes to comedy someone's going to be offended.. Of course, joking about tradgedy like Orlando, 9/11, the Holocaust, etc is WAY over the line and not okay.
    But, while this may have been distasteful, it wasn't necessarily the greatest evil on earth.

I often find gay jokes to be funny, as well as a lot of trans jokes.
    I also find, as a christian, jokes about christians to be hilarious.
    I agree with Casey and Rye.

Honestly, I didn't find this offensive. Maybe I'm just stupid, but...

#14 RavenTheRat, Jul 30, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 30, 2016
  15. Dingdang

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Jokes can be like that, and many are offensive to certain people. However, humor isn't intended for harm. Otherwise, it would be considered an insult.

Can humor cross the line?

Only if you let it!:icon_bigg

16. Robert

Robert Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    So much 'free speech' nonsense in this thread. I just hope that this harmful outlook on speech doesnt penetrate too far in to British peoples way of thinking or it'll set us back by decades.

#16 Robert, Jul 31, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 31, 2016
  17. Kira

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    That's the US for you.

Not really my cup of tea, one of the countless things I look forward to in Canada would be the limits. I like limits, personally. It's what separates my lawn from Westboro's lackeys.

18. RavenTheRat

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Well excuse my 'nonsense' then....

I'm no "'murica's the best" hickey from the back woods, and I hate this country sometimes, but I have an appreciatian for the ability to say what one believes. I consider myself lucky that I live somewhere where I can be myself and say what I choose.

Of course, you have your opinion and I have mine. Niether one is wrong or right, they're just opinions. And of course I respect your view on the subject.

#18 RavenTheRat, Jul 31, 2016
  19. 741852963

This, comedy is often edgy. Look at Margaret Cho, you could easily take her work out of context and brand her a homophobe as she often crosses the line.

This girl's joke wasn't massively funny, but I don't think it is massively offensive either.

The first part of her joke (about training bras) is based around the idea that Caitlyn a "woman in training". That can be seen one of two ways: 1. that Caitlyn was never a woman but is now learning to be one (offensive), or more relevant to the training bra discussion 2. that Caitlyn is, just like a teenage girl learning new things about being a woman. The latter is a statement of truth, most trans women/people go on a journey where they learn new aspects of "passing" (in terms of clothing, makeup, voice etc). Caitlyn Jenner ESPECIALLY has gone on a massive journey with this respect, going from a masculine male athlete to a feminine woman. So yes this has likely been a "learning" or "training" process.

The second part of her of her joke was actually slightly funny. I don't think this is a dig at Caitlyn specifically, more at her daughters. The joke is squarely on the Kardashian girls, implying that Bruce was that desperate for an intervention he did something drastic - and that she is showing them how it is done (which is the truth, she is a lot more classy!). Now do I think this girl believes this was the reason for the transition, or that transgender people don't exist? No, hence why it is a joke.

I don't see how this bit is transphobic. It's almost identical to gay/non-gay people joking a horrible straight woman or ex "made them go gay", or "he would make me turn gay". It doesn't really mean those people think being gay is a choice. It is just a joke.

Now I think choice of target is important also. Caitlyn Jenner is a media personality, famed for being in a reality TV world where everything is on show, and attention is the name of the game. As such I think Caitlyn can take this girl's comedy, and she seems the sort of person who would probably laugh at the roast. It would be different if this was landed at a non-celebrity, or a celebrity who was particularly vulnerable or struggling wit their trans identity. But from what I see, Caitlyn Jenner has pretty thick skin.

#19 741852963, Jul 31, 2016
  20. Glowing Eyes

Not sure why people are arguing over free speech here. It's about whether or not the joke is offensive. The OP never said anything about banning this girl from saying what she said. My personal opinion, the joke's not that funny (I'd be lying if I said it didn't excite a little) but not offensive either. Even if I were offended, I wouldn't be taking free speech away as free speech does not mean a protection from criticism.

#20 Glowing Eyes, Jul 31, 2016