1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

LGBT News Being Transgender Is Not a Mental Disorder: Study

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by RainDreamer, Jul 26, 2016.

1. RainDreamer

Transgender Diagnosis Study: A Matter of Mental Health?
    I always thought that it was silly to blame a person for their own suffering caused by society rejection of their very identity.

2. AmyBee

Thank you! Yes.

3. YuriBunny

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    We already knew that. ^^

It's nice they did a study to prove it, though.

4. Kira

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Hah! Eat that, McCrory!

Oh wait... He doesn't know about science or how things work. Right.

Humor aside, hopefully this shows a few people they need to do more research.

5. DissonantMars

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I don't know, though, because doesn't the gender dysphoria part of it all still exist even in a completely accepting world/family? Correct me if I'm wrong, because I don't experience it myself, but it seems a lot of trans people I've witnessed get really upset about the simple fact that they feel alien in their own skin. The longing for a penis or desire to cut theirs off, chest binding, etc. Doesn't seem like society-generated stress to me? No offense intended, obviously, but this matter just confuses me a lot. It seems many trans people face a lot of internal turmoil.

6. Eveline

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    The mistake is to view gender dysphoria as a mental disorder and not as a physical medical condition. It is closer to being a neurological condition as it seems to originate in a brain structure that is incompatible with a person's body. Gender dysphoria can cause mental disorders but it is, as far as I can understand, a medical condition which is one of the reasons why the only treatment involves operations and medication that changes the structure of the body. The feeling of distress and disconnect are very real but the psychological complications are mostly caused by social rejection and prejudice.

When I first learned that I was trans, I felt much more alive and at peace. However, I was also faced with the understanding that if I ever wanted to live a life without wearing a mask, I would need to cope with the devistating social costs that I would be forced to pay. Later on when my family rejected me, I fell, for the first time in my life, into depression. Despite the fact that my life has been full of hardships including having childhood cancer, I always found a way to be positive and found joy in what I did have. I was even given the nick name of a pollyanna a while back. However, the change was immediate when I was rejected by my family and the night after my mother responded in a hurtful matter, I contemplated suicide and have never really regained the same feeling of hope and positivity that I lost during that day.

The study is undoubtedly correct, social rejection is truly awful and it can be clearly seen in the fact that family acceptance improves the life of trans people so drastically.

7. AyaseKishimoto

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Well there're other studies that show that the brains of transgender people are on the right track of working really well, they don't have anomalies like the brains of people that are suffering from mentally illness.

Antion Guilamon's studies found that the only inconsistency of transgender brains is that on the four regions of white matter, they work exactly as the gender the person feels:

https://www.newscientist.com/article/dn20032-transsexual-differences-caught-on-brain-scan/

8. peterw78165

peterw78165 Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Do we really need a study to tell us this?

Shouldn't it just go without saying that being trans is not a mental disorder?

9. RavenTheRat

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    All but family
    As a NC resident, I can assure you McCrory has a working knowledge of science.

The science of being an asshole, I mean.

10. Libra Neko

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I agree but would like to point out that some mental disorders, such as what I have, schizoaffective disorder, are also technically "physical" because the brain causes them and what would our body do without our brain?

11. RyeTheDauphin

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    So glad this study has been done.
    It always annoys me when people cite the high suicide rates of trans people as proof that the treatment doesn't work and that transgenderism doesn't actually exist, rather than considering other social factors and co-morbidity with other mental illnesses which may have caused it. It's true that transgendered people often have other mental complications but that doesn't render their dysphoria irrelevant and during diagnosis, psychiatrists have to check that the dysphoria isn't potentially the result of another mental condition.

Also, the same people say that it's a mental disorder and therefore it shouldn't be treated with hormones and surgery...without giving any alternative treatment options. If particular kinds of therapy or other medications were enough to 'cure' gender dysphoria, wouldn't they have tried that by now? Or has the 'trans lobby' gotten to the medical field in pushing their evil immoral agenda too?

Sorry. I fell down an internet rabbit hole of this bullshit last night and just needed to put that stuff out there.

12. Sagume Kishin

Sadly, to a lot of people, no.
    Scarce on youtube made a video talking about this one old youtuber who transitioned. Just look in that video's comments, and you'll see why studies like this are neccesary.
    But they're the kind of people that that deny Climate Change and think the Earth is flat. For a lot of them they just won't listen, even when they cry "SCEIENCE UND NARTUR!!!1" as a defense for their biggoted opinions and/or actions.

Though this was obvious to any thinking being, still nice. Maybe I could bring it up if I get into any arguments about it, which thankfully isn't often.

#12 Sagume Kishin, Aug 2, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 2, 2016