1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

General News Black Lives Matter disrupt UK airports/transport

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by 741852963, Aug 5, 2016.

1. 741852963

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news...-matter-protest-sparks-heathrow-traffic-chaos

Yet more antics being caused by this group.

The date was apparently chosen in anniversary of the shooting of Mark Duggan, and the subsequent violence, vandalism and looting that followed. Mark Duggan was actually a wanted and presumed dangerous suspect being investigated for his involvement in drug gangs, gun crime and murder, so far from the "innocent powerless bystander" the likes of BLM portray him as:

Mark Duggan 'among Europe's most feared and violent criminals' before his death sparked the 2011 riots | Crime | News | The Independent

I don't think BLM's protest here is "peaceful" - it is angry and disruptive, and causing upset and frustration to ordinary people which is pretty abusive and only going to create more division.

I don't think anyone suggests black and ethnic minorities have it made in the UK, but shouting at the wind does nothing. These people could make much more of a difference by simply getting up off the road and getting out into the community.

I think this is really a millennial problem - hoping for change by playing the victim and shouting loudly. It achieves nothing. If you want to truly raise awareness, you have to do it with a level voice that people can actually hear, not scream it down a megaphone.

2. guitar

Making Duggar a martyr is like making Che Guevara a martyr; anyone who actually knows who he really was understands it's foolish to make them one. But of course, all that matters is police shot someone and their skin colour. Details be damned.

It isn't a millennial problem per se, more of a narcissism disorder. It's like how members of BLM co-opted pride in Toronto, or a vigil for victims of the Orlando shooting. "I know better than you, and my agenda is more important than yours so you're all going to pay attention to me."

#2 guitar, Aug 5, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 5, 2016
  3. Reciprocal

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I can't help but find Black Lives Matter a bit childish. Nothing much wrong with their cause, but all they seem to do is cause trouble.

4. Skaros

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I have to agree with you on this. The movement is not helping at all. I understand what they want to accomplish, but what they're doing is not going to accomplish it. Ever since the Michael Brown case, I've been skeptical of this movement. Looting and vandalism over a criminal? It seems the people "protesting" either don't know enough about the case or don't care about the victim.

---------- Post added 5th Aug 2016 at 01:00 PM ----------

Ironically, more people died in Orlando than un-armed black people in a year by police.

49 people were murdered in Orlando.

In 2015, less than 25 un-armed black people were fatally shot by police who were not attacking.

If you want to account for attack in progress, then the number raises to 38, which is still lower than the Orlando death tool.

#4 Skaros, Aug 5, 2016
  5. 741852963

Definitely, and by the group latching onto every single black death it really takes the focus from genuinely racist attacks and injustices.

It's like Beyonce having all the names of black people shot at her show.Some of those are racist attacks against innocent civilians, others are more than likely criminals on the wrong side of the law.By bundling them all together you really dilute the focus.

6. Ashley2103

7. Ryu

Ryu

Great cause, truly crap at implementing it. Stopping a pride event, traffic and airports. They really aren't helping themselves here as the racists who don't think black lives matter, are just getting more support to their belives that black people are trouble makers and so on.

8. iiimee

This. I don't support BLM not because I'm some big bad racist, but because I can't see one good thing they've done to help black people. Also, sorry, but I think it's stupid how they blame white people for everything. I mean, black on black crime is WAY higher than white on black crime in the US, yet the BLM movement here never mentions these things. Sure, there might be a few, but it's clear those aren't the majority of people. Anyway, one of the BLM founders was inspired by a famous cop killer, and that by itself would have been forgivable, but the movement STILL worships that crazy woman! Just like feminism, I think BLM is a movement that has slowly grown more corrupt- the only difference is BLM became corrupt much quicker.

9. eMei

Can these people just go away? I doubt a lot of these middle class hippies know what poverty is.... I mean, it's the white, English working class boys that are getting the worst hand at life in the moment. Fact.

10. Cauldron

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Because blocking Cars, Planes, And even ambulances is totally going to help the cause! SMH... :dry:

#10 Cauldron, Aug 5, 2016
  11. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Does the UK have a problem with police racism/brutality? I think of their cops as paragons of sweetness who would rather give a complete psycho the benefit of the doubt before being rough with someone.

#11 Argentwing, Aug 5, 2016
  12. 741852963

Generally speaking, no.

There are a few bad apples and freak cases here and there, as with any institution, but nothing like with the US. Look at the below, that would be a few month's worth in the US! (I'll give you a hint: gun control!):

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_killings_by_law_enforcement_officers_in_the_United_Kingdom

I think the most recent and horrific instances of police brutality in the UK that come to mind are both have been against white people, such as Thomas Orchard dying from negligent handling in a police cell (suffocating on a restraint). Horrific, but still very freak occurrences, I don't feel unsafe around the police personally.

Now historically yes you have had racism amongst some police forces (look at the Stephen Lawrence case), but now? I think times have changed.

I wouldn't doubt there is some element of racial profiling, but most police stop and searches tend to be in the urban and "ghettoised" areas where poverty and crime is rife, and more minorities tend to live in these areas. All part of the vicious circle and THAT is something I think activists should be more focussed on: the poverty and lack of education which breeds crime.

#12 741852963, Aug 5, 2016
  13. gravechild

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Okay

14. bookreader

Out Status:
    Some people
    Oh well it's still gonna happen

15. Andrew99

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I don't get what the point of BLM is anymore. I'm not trying to be racist or anything but really what is the point?

16. RyeTheDauphin

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    There's actually a really good video I found a while back about this. It's quite long but it goes through the actual stated aims of BLM and analyzes them. Some are reasonable, but a lot are either meaningless and full of rhetoric or racist in themselves. Link here.

BLM is a goddamn trainwreck and this whole thing is just ridiculous and emblematic of a massive problem with social justice today. I'm really angry with them at this point - they are so willing to disrupt the good work that other people do, whether it be pride parades or emergency services, to push their own muddled petty close-minded agenda. It is such bullshit. I understand that it started to tackle racial profiling and racism in the police force after Ferguson, but nowadays it mainly seems to be made up of racial supremacists and apologists for those supremacists.

17. Flowey

This is great news. A year or so when I was lurking this site, people were more or less supportive/sympathetic to BLM. Now the table has turned! Sensible people start seeing what a mess this movement is.
    I also don't think it's a millenal thing. It's more the case of some people, usually educated, trying to gain political power and influence by appealing to group's identity. BLM is built on intersectional feminism philosophy (said so on their website) so naturally it's quite ape-shit. Some people on here will argue that good results can only achieved by not-so-peaceful protests because America has a bloody history. Well ok, if there was another civil war, it wouldn't lead to any 'liberation' of black people.

18. CJliving

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I still support what BLM did in Toronto, but blocking traffic at an airport?! Nope. That's wrong. That is doing way more than inconveniencing people, that is potentially really harming someone. :frowning2:

19. Sagume Kishin

Disrupting a vigil for the Orlando Shooting victims, disrupting a pride parade, and now this?

I fully sympathise with their cause, but seesh, these past few months they've been hurting it more than helping it. It's one thing to protest in a normal area, but blocking an airport?
    Really? Some people very well could have missed flights, severly garbling their schedule, wasting their time and probably hundreds of dollars, because of this.
    That's just a bit too far, IMO.

Especially given that the person they're causing all this fuss over was a criminal and one of the most feared ones in all of london apparently. I wouldn't be quite as critical of this if they didn't block an airport and did it over someone a bit more, well, deserving.

20. Anthemic

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I completely agree. This whole thing fits their agenda. They say we don't know what it's like to be black. Well, they don't know what it's like to be a white girl, who lives in one of the most dangerous cities in the United States, which is also the home to ghetto culture.

I heard they even want "slavery compensation" and for white people to pay more taxes than black people. Lol wat?

The real truth is, every race faces prejudice. I would know. Where I'm from, the government will go to black colleges to recruit only black people because they have to meet a quota. If a white person with more experience comes in for an interview, and a black person comes in with slightly less experience, guess who gets hired? The black person. The government in my area is so afraid of facing an EEO Lawsuit, that they hire more black people. Every single race deals with it. The thing about BLM is, they think they are much more victimized by racism than anyone else. They have no proof of that.

#20 Anthemic, Aug 6, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 6, 2016