1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

LGBT News Why Transgender People In Japan Prefer To Be Told They Have A ‘Disorder’

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by RainDreamer, Aug 7, 2016.

1. RainDreamer

https://www.buzzfeed.com/lesterfeder/transgender-in-japan?utm_term=.iglzPZEWdW#.cnYp2nNX0X

Read the whole article from the link. It is something to really think about. I wonder when we will see a change in Japan so trans people there no longer need a diagnosis to justify being themselves to society.

2. CJliving

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    If it makes you feel better, the Ministry of Education, Culture, Sports, Science and Technology (MEXT) has official policy for all public schools in Japan that states that children must be allowed access to the uniform, bathroom, locker room, and sports team that best matches their gender identity. Trans people in Japan actually get a marginally better deal than gay people.

Japan is a very homogenous society. It's ruled by old men politics and no one cares enough about politics to change anything. Everyone stays in their lane. The minorities that want change can't make anyone else pay attention to issues that "don't effect them", to the point where, I think probably more than 50% of the teachers I work with don't know what LGBT is.

So I get it, I guess. This article is not surprising. If I were to come out at school as xgender (which is really genderqueer) my principal almost certainly would complain to my company. If I were to bring a doctor's note saying "This person is a man with GID", he'd still complain, but I probably wouldn't get fired. Considering there's no official law protecting employment (or housing) for sexual minorities and trans people, that's a really big difference. :/ Sucks, but it'll change eventually I guess. Give it, like, 50 years. :|

3. Ryu

Ryu

Firstly, I'm not surprised, see above.

Secondly, I wouldn't say Buzzfeed is a... Reputable source.
    Even if they are right here

4. RainDreamer

They sure are not, but I think these kinds of pieces are less about whether they are true or not, but about the thoughts they evoke.

Even if the situation is completely opposite of what they say, it still makes us have to think about the security some people may have if being trans is considered a medical condition. Especially how some may feel less self-conflict that they have a "condition" and that they can cope with their "abnormality" and they can cope with it under the blessing of medical community, instead of it being who they really are and they are all alone in trying to make their own identity recognized.

Knowing these kinds of things helps us think about how to change perceptions about being transgender.

Also, thanks for sharing your experience CJ, I hope changes comes sooner rather than later. =/

#4 RainDreamer, Aug 8, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 8, 2016
  5. Kasey

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    There were no left handed samurai. Just saying.