1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

General News Bullied 13-year-old boy kills himself, leaves an emotional note behind.

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by Anthemic, Aug 14, 2016.

1. Anthemic

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Here's the link: 13-year-old boy kills self, describes being bullied in emotional note

This is so awful to know. I was close to tears when I read this. Danny Fitzpatrick was such a cute, sweet-looking little boy. To think that anyone could bully him just mortifies me. His father's words in a conference almost made me cry. I had to hold back tears.

I feel like his school is lying about trying to stop the bullying. If they were, then the bullying would have stopped.

2. Aberrance

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It's disgusting that things like this have to happen for people to realise how much of a problem bullying is in schools. You'd be surprised how little teacher intervention can do. My headteacher got involved when I was 8 after countless teachers had failed to stop the 2 girls bullying me, they still continued and in the end my parents decided that I should switch schools. I wish the parents of this child had done the same, sometimes leaving the situation behind you altogether is the only way to get past it.

3. faustian1

There, but for the grace of God go I.

And, most likely, a substantial number of persons on this forum. I was paroled from those public schools, and made it out alive, and found out that it does indeed get better.

Over the years, I have read of, or even been closely situated with, young people who did not make it out alive. It is a very thin line, between those who do, and those who do not. I helped a young man several years ago--a routine thing really, just a simple act of kindness and nothing to think twice about. He later left me a note, saying he had been depressed, and suicidal, and that my care for him that day made him reconsider. I often wonder what became of him, but I do know that day I made a difference. You cannot know the pain a person might feel, from simply looking at them.

It should be our goal, as functioning, successful human beings, to look out for those whom society so casually throws away. It is not something you can just contribute money for, or just advocate politically for. These are worthy things, to be sure, but every day, please look out for people who need a word--any word--of encouragement just to make it through another day. It is not a burden that we need to carry on our shoulders. It is an act of responsibility that we have toward those who today follow the path we once followed, because for most life will be better not worse, if we can make it through that darkest time.

4. YuriBunny

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
  5. logansarah

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    That's so wrong. It's stuff like this that makes me hate being human. Why do people do things like this? It's just sad.

I agree with the bullying part and adding to that, that kids that did this need to be expelled and shown the effect of what they did, and the school needs that to be thoroughly investigated. I hope the NYPD find all the evidence they need and all the people directly and indirectly responsible, and sentence the people accordingly.

---------- Post added 14th Aug 2016 at 05:45 PM ----------

While that won't take away what happened. I hope this means that whoever sees things like this will help whoever they see in need of it, so this doesn't happen again.

6. Creativemind

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Chronic bullying is a problem. Everyone gets teased to some extent, but there is proof that chronic, ongoing bullying can lead to depression and suicide, and even violent/homicidal thoughts in the case of some school shooters who seek revenge.

I was too a chronic bully victim. Even to this day it affects me. Not that I still have pain over the situation, I'd like to think I moved on from that. No, what I mean is that I have trust issues, self esteem issues, racing violent thoughts at times, and an inability to connect with others. It can turn into a serious issue and it's a shame we turn a blind eye to it.

7. Quist

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I can definitely relate. I was bullied every single day from first grade until I graduated high school and it wasn't just students either, several teachers bullied me as well.

I have no self esteem, I don't trust anyone and I always assume everyone hates me, because that's all I knew for the majority of my life.

I have a very hard time socializing with people, because all I learned from trying to socialize when I was growing up was that everyone disliked me, and trying to talk to others just brought attention to my self. Which would just lead to more bullying.

I was seriously going to commit suicide when I was 11 but didn't go through with it at the last minute because I knew it would make my mom cry, and she was the only good thing in my life at that time. I remember being upset that I couldn't kill myself, that's how bad it was and I was extremely detached for years afterward.

What few friends I have now, both online and off, I tend to think they hate me if I don't hear from them for a while or something similar to that. I can't wrap it around my head that anyone would ever like me for any reason.

It really ruined my life and I hope no one ever has to go through something like that, I wish they would really do more to stop it.

8. bookreader

Out Status:
    Some people
    I think that the bully's parents need a class on parenting.

9. Embi

Embi Guest

That's so sad :frowning2: It reminds me of that time when a guy in my grade hung himself. He was 14 back then. I only knew his name and what he looked like. It was such a strange, horrible feeling. I can't even imagine what people must go through that were actually close to him.
    Bullies often don't even realise what they're doing. I mean, most bullies are bullies because they have their own issues and try to make themselves feel better. But if you are a good parent, you tell your child why bullying is wrong and what bullying is. I hope the bullies learned their lesson and feel guilty and never bully anyone ever again.
    Bu it's too late for Danny :frowning2:

10. mvp 447

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm so infuriated after hearing about this, not mad but infuriated. These little 5 pricks should get put on trial, not for murder but negligent manslaughter at least feels right.

11. Libra Neko

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Shame on the bullies, their parents and the teachers who let them do that!

12. Austin

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Is this the boy whose parents were alcoholics but they were trying to blame only the school? Or was that another case?

13. Sagume Kishin

Poor kid :frowning2:

Bullies often don't know what they're doing... and occasionally, things like this are the result.
    I can't imagine what it must be like to actually have this happen to someone you know...

14. ABeautifulMind

This is just sad... I really want to bitch and raise hell about how this cant be allowed to happen anymore, but it doesnt matter for little Danny.

I was the victim of chronic bullying in elementary school until my parents sent me to private school for 2 years. When I went back the bullying was more normal. Just occasional teasing and shit, not like before. If not for the relief of that private school, this could possibly have been me in elementary/middle school. This poor kid did everything else he could as far as telling the teachers and reaching out... Just sad.

15. andimon

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Only got bullied really bad one year of my life, and it was enough for me to realise that I want to dedicate a good part of my existence to advocating against this obnoxious practice.

16. faustian1

Good for you! And it isn't like all the old problems of the past have been erased by "progressive thinking." This boy, and before him Tyler Clementi, Matthew Shepard, and dozens of others we happened to read about.

These are contemporary events, but long ago, when I was an adolescent, police departments all over the country were doing homosexual "stings" to arrest (and imprison) gay men, no one cared about the even worse bullying going on. I lived through that, with millions of other people.

And I'm none too happy about it happening today. I've stood up for people who were bullied all my adult life, not only socially but in the legal arena as well. It's one reason why the occasional lecture from gay guys about what "traitors to the cause" we are for being in the closet, well it really pisses me off. They don't know shit about what it is like to be all alone, with the whole goddamned mob against you. It leaves a lifelong scar.

#16 faustian1, Sep 9, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 9, 2016
  17. PrettyinPunk

I've read and heard so many reports like this, it's all terrible. There's so much awareness and focus on anti-bullying but I feel like sometimes it's a more 'preach it but not teach it' thing. Its so devastating when anyone feels like taking their life is the only option but this boy was just a child. There should be zero tolerance for bullying in schools so this doesn't happen.

18. Nobo