1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The World In the Right direction?

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by The Enigma, Mar 17, 2009.

?

Is this a step in the right directions?

1. Yes

11 vote(s)
    64.7%
  2. No

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Thank God!!

4 vote(s)
    23.5%
  4. I never even heard of this?

2 vote(s)
    11.8%
  1. The Enigma

The Enigma Guest

So, did you guys hear about this?
    http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/29745175/

And what do you think? Isn't it sad that Bush/United States is the only western country to outright deny signing it? I think this is a very good step in the correct direction. I wonder if Obama is religious. Compared to Bush, I think Obama is taking things in a better direction. Although many could disagree. I think its a very hard job hes doing and undoubtedly he has to bribe some people to get shit passed...but I support him. And it's not because hes black, but because he seems to be a decent person. He even admitted to using meth if I recall correctly...which is good. It means honesty.

I think his presidency will be a good one. Regardless of the economy. It may be defining, but the little things he does may be more meaningful.

2. Legnaj

Legnaj Guest

I love this paragraph:
    "According to negotiators, the Bush team had concerns that those parts could commit the federal government on matters that fall under state jurisdiction. In some states, landlords and private employers are allowed to discriminate on the basis of sexual orientation; on the federal level, gays are not allowed to serve openly in the military.

It was not immediately clear on Tuesday how the Obama administration had come to a different conclusion."

Psst...its called common sense

3. The Enigma

The Enigma Guest

Lol I thought that. Really, I think it was Bush's religious views that kept him from signing it. I talked to you, I'm pretty sure, about how much it costs to get rid of soldiers because of Don't Ask, Don't Tell...and I was like..."That makes no fucking financial sense. It's cheaper to keep them and not spend millions replacing."

4. BlakeHarmony

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    In my opinion, Bush was a total idiot when it came to most things (not all... but most), namely, ruling a country. I am SOOOOO glad Obama is doing such a good job (so far) of handling all the crap Bush left for him to clean up. This is definitely a step in the right direction.

5. Myke

Myke Guest

Good direction for the US.
    Speaking of Bush, he was in town today... lot of protesters outside the convention centre.

6. BlakeHarmony

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    ^^ My dad's friend went and my dad said that the tickets were going fo like, 4000 bucks. I'm not sure if that's right but I wouldn't pay a penny to see him, unless I could pie him without getting prosecuted, lol.

7. Myke

Myke Guest

i heard they were $400, I don't see why people would pay that much to see him talk... I wouldn't go see him if they paid me.

8. Greggers

Well, let me find a youtube video of Obama explaining his view of the whole "gay marriage" thing. Its quite interesting...

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=73oZ_pe1MZ8[/YOUTUBE]

9. Myke

Myke Guest

doesn't work greggy

edit: you have to click on it to open another window with the actual youtube website to work

#9 Myke, Mar 17, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 17, 2009
  10. Emberstone

I would accept what he offering. Marriage is a word *often abused by people who dont value it, I.E. fundementalist chirstians, and the, what, 3 out of 5 marriages that end in divorce in the first 3 years?*

A civil union that gives and ensures the same legal rights and protections under the law that a marriage does it fine by me. civil union... marriage... it all ultimately becomes a word semnatics issue that ultimately isnt what I am seeking. I want the same rights, whatever it is that they call the legal institution *which marriage has been longer then christanity has existed, which includes gay marriages that was common for thousands of years, including 300 years after christ's crucifiction when the church changed its stance.*

11. Just Adam

this is good news for the usa i still personally dont like the segrigation between civil and maraige there still seems to be a stigmata of iniquality but aslong as u get the same rights and protection thats the important thign not the name at the end of the day. i agree bush never did this cos he is an idiot he prob waiting for a reply from a prayer or letter to santa to see what he should do :S i think obama is doing a real good job. im troubled though by how many didnt sign up to this and that reportedly that some believe same sex union will lead to "deplorable" acts is horrid way of thinking what is wrong about two people loving each other in this world.

on a smaller note atleast the president talks about these issues in the uk im feeling its kind of hushed up cant remember when i last saw a british show or news about lgbt rights or anything ...oh well keep going obama

12. davo-man

I really like Obama's point of view on gay marriage/unions and it's one that I would support; that while it's important for gay unions to have the same rights as hetero marriages, it is the churchs' right to refuse "marriage".

Think about it: America has seperation of church and state, right? At least in theory. I'm not entirely sure that it's the state's right to impose gay marriage on the church.

I'm personally fine with having the same rights, and while it may be viewed as equal but seperate, it's a hell of a lot better than different and opressed.

(Also, out of interest, are the gay unions in the UK marriages or civil unions?)

13. Just Adam

im not to sure lol i think theyre civil partnerships but we hear so little about them i havent heard any lgbt news for so long i feel the only one :S ( i know im not that would be horrid lol)

i agree with your point aswell that the state shouldent force same sex marraige on the church and it is the rights that matter i just from what i know over here and it is sad but some married couples have looked down on same sex union as not really beeing legal or "real" im not saying all married couples think this way by any means i know many people who are supportive i feel like giving obama a hug xD

14. AzThRg0

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Ah but if marriage is recognized by the state and your given rights because of it is it still religious, and should they have control of the distribution of those rights? If so its not really separation of church and state at all in my opinion.

15. olides84

16. davo-man

I think that was my point. Like, if there is try seperation of church and state, then, because "marriage" is a church affair, then the government doesn't have ruling over. The government, however, does have ruling over federal or constitutional rights

Then again, thinking about it, using that argument, you could say that governments limit religious marriages in terms of age and family relationships, so because it has ruling in that area of marriage, it could be debated that they have ruling in the genders involved in a marriage

17. The Enigma

The Enigma Guest

Just Adam - "im troubled though by how many didnt sign up to this and that reportedly that some believe same sex union will lead to "deplorable" acts is horrid way of thinking what is wrong about two people loving each other in this world."

Well when they think marriage they automatically think sex. And apparently two guys playing pin the tail on the weasel doesn't appeal to most men in power. And as for women, they probably don't care or want to see that as well. It goes against their religious beliefs for the most part and if not, then they're probably listening to some other influence. Though, I am more troubled by something else. Is gay marriage really that important? I mean if you have a partner, do you have to have a piece of paper saying that you're married to enjoy them the rest of your life?

I know I wouldn't. It's just for looks and a few extra rights. Knowing I can be with them is enough for me. :slight_smile:

Behling - "If so its not really separation of church and state at all in my opinion."

The fact that they are supposedly separate is false. Though it may seem like it if you look at all the small things, you'd realize that they are not. Many of the most important political places have Christian scenes sculpted around their architecture. The President is sworn in with the phrase "In the name of God", and even judges use the "So help you God." And even if they are supposedly separate, peoples religious views are not which makes it fundamentally incorrect. A large portion of people in higher positions are Christians which makes it hard not to enforce their beliefs unto us.

Well, that's just my take. :slight_smile:

18. Just Adam

its interesting what you say enigma the problem is they use inturpritations of religion and through some times no fault of their own ignorance to pass on views that arent correct. its weird religion they all say be good kind loving yet negatives keep poping up

19. The Enigma

The Enigma Guest

Good comes with bad, it's law. It's how things balance out. Religion isn't inherently bad, but its people make it so. And although I despise most forms of religion, they do bring good things about. There is a lot of good, not just bad. Sometimes it takes someone else to tell you that you're ignorant or show you that you are otherwise you can go through life never knowing.

20. Just Adam

very true i dont follow any religion i just view them and collectivly there is some real beautifull stuff epecially in asian writings but you cant take them for literal meaning where people go wrong its a guideline an example to give wisdom oh dear im going all karate kid * chaces enigma with chop sticks if i catch u can do anything lol :grin:

i cant spell :frowning2:

#20 Just Adam, Mar 18, 2009
    Last edited: Mar 18, 2009