1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

LGBT News Australian opposition to block same-sex marriage plebiscite

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by Aussie792, Aug 27, 2016.

1. Aussie792

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Same-sex marriage plebiscite: Labor indicates it could block vote, Malcolm Turnbull still confident - ABC News (Australian Broadcasting Corporation)

I'm deeply opposed to a plebiscite. The 45th Parliament, unlike any previous parliament, has a clear majority in both the House and Senate in favour of same-sex marriage. The only thing blocking them is the Abbott-era decision by the Coalition not to hold a free vote until a plebiscite occur - something which Turnbull opposed from the beginning but doesn't risk rejecting even now that he's PM.

With any luck, Labor will follow through with the threat and the ball will be pushed back into Turnbull's court - it's ultimately on him to free his party and himself to vote as they wish. With this Parliament first sitting this week, it'll be interesting to see how same-sex marriage plays out.

2. Czarcastic

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    The Greens and NXT have both confirmed they will vote against the legislation.

Labor has all but said they will vote against the legislation.

Therefore, unless Labor change their mind, the plebiscite is dead in the water.

The only thing that annoys me about the plebiscite not going ahead is that the conservatives have done exactly what they planned, that being to halt any steps towards marriage equality.

3. YeahpIdk

It's astounding to me that Australia is against same sex marriage. They're pretty much planet Hot Lesbian to me.

Ruby Rose:slight_smile:

4. Czarcastic

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Broadly speaking, a majority the public and of parliament support same-sex marriage.

The problem comes from the fact that the Prime Minister (who supports same-sex marriage) has a large bloc in his party that opposes same-sex marriage and he relies on their support to remain Prime Minister.