1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Vancouver's "The Beat" Radio Station talks about having Gay kids...

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by Greggers, Mar 20, 2009.

1. Greggers

So i turned on The Beat this morning, and the talk show thats on in the morning was on the topic about having gay kids. I missed the beginning, but what i got was a father saw his kid playing with dolls and scolded him, telling him that boys DONT play with dolls and forcing him to go back to playing with footballs or whatever it was. But the boy kept it up and the father was getting worried "his son might be gay".

Whatever the story was, it was pathetic. The father was basically freaking out cause his 6 year old likes playing barbie. *roll eyes* Anyways, thats just the background info for the REAL deal...

Another dad called in and said "Well, my son did that too, but i force him to play football, do karate, boxing, playing with g-i joes, and fish with me. I am a good father because i teach him how to be a real man, the only way they turn out gay is when the father does not do his role. So my son is not gay." that was the jist of it.

I was SO mad because the same thing happened to me. I was in soccer, basketball, hockey, volleyball, track, everything! I was forced on father son fishing trips often. NONE OF THIS CHANGED THE FACT I HATED IT and was not even the slightest bit interested. I still played with dolls and dressed up as a little girl when i was young, just behind closed doors cause i was a smart little boy.

After that, the three hosts of the show discussed it a bit more.

The guy hosts view was: "Being gay is super common now, they say over 10% od the population. It wouldent be my first choice to have a gay son over a straight son just because i could relate to my straight son better and help him. At the same time, you cant change your son if hes going to be gay and i would be 110% accepting. It wouldent matter to me"

This made me feel better. I wish i had some quotes of what he really said, because he had some good ones. Basically he said he hoped for the fathers sake that he does have a gay son so he is forced to adapt and throw away his ancient views.

2. Ionless

yea everyone hopes so, but the truth is if possible no father would wish they had a gay son ...

3. Just Adam

my farther really wouldent like to know of a gay son hes a total " straight " stereotype football beer curry crude jokes ... but thats the good points lol

4. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    You didn't call in?

Lex

5. Mr Bojangles

My dad doesn't give a hoot about most things - doesn't care if I'm gay.

But appparently I'm pretty 'straight'

6. LornTehViking

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Weird, I was encouraged to play sports and go fishing.

But also, my father was/is a jackass, and I have little to no respect for him, and that could be my ROOT (Lol -- But I'm A Cheerleader)

Seriously though, kids want to do what kids want to do, and if it's not physically harming them, people shouldn't try to stop it.

7. briguy

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I'm gay and I enjoy fishing and playing sports, so does my bf!?! Being gay has nothing to do with being athletic or enjoying the outdoors!

8. Greggers

I was driving :slight_smile: Ive already crashed into the ditch once, no need to do that again to call in and yell at some idiot macho-man dad

9. NathanHaleFan

Seriously, your parents are making you go fishing? That's not manly, it's stupid. Fishing is a most asinine activity. The only thing more asinine than fishing is ice fishing. No offence to fishers. :slight_smile:

10. Mirko

Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Greg, you should have soooo called in....that was your chance to be on Vancouver radio. :slight_smile:

But yeah, if I would have heard the father talking, I would have gotten mad too.

11. starfish

Same here. In fact I am more "manly" than several of the straight guys I know.