1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gay Rights Movement

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by Mr Bojangles, Mar 21, 2009.

1. Mr Bojangles

Unlike all the other Civil rights movements of the past wherever you go, there's always been people who wish to do things peacefully, and those who don't.

Is there any particular reason why it's not the same with the Gay Rights Movement?

Personally, I'd give up my life to help further any cause I felt strongly about.

2. Colly

Because you can achieve better results by solving things peacefully. Forcing people to change legislature will get you your change, but not the proper support from where it matters most.

I could be wrong, but that's just my take on things.

3. Just Adam

forcefull action can cause resentment to your cause passionate words create emotion to promote your love :slight_smile:

4. Wander

Wander Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Because not everything can be solved peacefully. Some things have been going on for so long and with such intensity that peace isn't always enough. And in my own state, no less.

5. Just Adam

problem is though if you use force you end up giving your enemy motivation justification and cause against you, you need passive ressistance dont fight just refuse like gandhi that way you make them the agressor.

violence begets more violence and in hatred reasons become lost and intentions and morallity become skewed

im only refering to this sort of issue though. war and such things are force of violence thats the only detterant

peace for life violence as deterrant

6. Greggers

Well, in my mind, this is 2009.

Being homophobic is no longer "cool" or "in". You get 10x the hate BACK for hating on a gay person these days. Seriously, i live in a super conservative area and if your homophobic you actually have to hide that fact or people will look down on you even more than if your gay. Sure, that does not mean its not out there, cause there is still ALOT of it here, but its becoming the taboo thing to do.

This is not 1950 anymore, things have changed. NO politician is going to be openly homophobic anymore, thats an instant death wish. Now its not coming down to being accepted, its coming down to equal rights. Things like marriage rights, non-discrimination laws for the workplace, and tougher laws against hate crime.

There will ALWAYS be that small population of people who are so extremely anti-gay (*cough* WBC?) but the solution is not to take up arms against them or fight back. Drastic times do call for drastic measures, but my point is that we no longer live in a time were you have to closet yourself.

Again, im sure this is not the deal everywhere, but in most of Europe, ALL of north america, Australia, and any country that is civilized, we dont need to resort to violence to be heard anymore.

7. Emberstone

I wish that it was rare to find politicions who are openingly homophobic... but in the states, if you know where to look, you will find them having a major ego stroke together about how gays should be punished for daring to be different. and there are still polititions who are running around, making racial remarks about people who are black.

It really shows that racial and sexual orientation equality is a lengthy process that will probably continue for as long as humanity divides each other so they can feel superior to everyone else. It is a cruel truth about human nature. Doesnt mean we shouldnt continue to go out and seek equality and justice, but we have to remeber the best way to make change, is to change people's perceptions of us.

8. Greggers

Find me some, id like to see these high ranking politicians who are openly homophobic. The comments escaping off camera and such, sure, but to get up infront of everyone and make a homophobic remark has SO much backlash.

9. Mr Bojangles

Not so much politicians, but people generally.

I had a dream I killed Fred Phelps. It was awesome:slight_smile:

btw. that quote about being civilized is pretty backward. Homosexuality is only a problem in countries that are yet to abandon religion to an extent.

10. kettleoffish

It looks to me like people have, for once, learned from the mistakes of the past. Look hard people, it doesn't happen often.

Violence doesn't solve things, hate doesn't solve things. I would say that the WBC has done more for our cause than they have against it, because they have shown how much they hate us, and nobody likes that, they are forcing views on people, which they like even less.

I suppose there's never been enough gay people in one place to start a violent protest. We're pretty spread out across the globe, and there are very very few places where we are the majority.

11. NathanHaleFan

But wait, you're using the Black civil rights movement of the 1960s to justify something other than non-violence? It was precisely the non-violence and the lack of retaliation during the Birmingham campaign that made whites realize they were wrong. I don't remember the quote verbatim, but Gandhi once said that non-violence, as opposed to violence, was the only effective strategy to combat an oppressive government, because through non-violence, the oppressor sees how he is dehumanizing himself in the action. You can't change the oppressor's mind by force, but only allow himself to see how he is wrong.

Anyway, those are my 2 cents.