1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

LGBT News Wonder Woman is Queer

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by Rainbow Lantern, Sep 29, 2016.

1. Rainbow Lantern

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    As of now, seventy-five years after her first appearance in comics, the Amazon warrior princess Wonder Woman is now queer!:stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:ride: The writer currently doing the Wonder Woman solo series, Greg Rucka, confirmed this:

Here's the article I got this from: Yes, Wonder Woman is queer

Here's another that I found that goes more in depth on the topic: Wonder Woman*Writer Greg Rucka Says Diana Has 'Obviously' Had Relationships With Women

The (first) article also states:

I'm really excited about this and I hope this change made in the comics will translate into the live action movies (or the animated movies/series coming up).

Something that was not made entirely clear in the article was if Diana is now gay or bisexual, because she has had many relations in the past with men - significantly Steve Trevor (the first man Wonder Woman laid her eyes on). But then again, this is a whole new Wonder Woman volume.

Either way, this is great news for the LGBT community and for comics. It makes me want to dress up as Wonder Woman and start reading this new series!

Anyways, anyone have any thoughts? Will DC incorporate this into the upcoming live action and/or animated movies/shows since it is canon now? Will they get backlash for doing this? Or are you just glad Wonder Woman broke down the closet doors with her lasso of truth? :newcolor:

2. Skaros

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Makes sense. She comes from a planet of women only, right?

3. Rainbow Lantern

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    She's from Earth but her people (the Amazons) had been isolated from mankind for years until Steven Trevor crashed his plane on the island. Wonder Woman left with him to help the rest of the world but Themyscira (the island the Amazons lived on) remained as it was. But yes, the Amazons are all women.

4. Lazuri

I kinda feel like WW herself makes no big deal out of it and neither will the DC universes, which is fair. Marvel always made too big a deal of characters being gay--DC were always better at it.

5. Quantumreality

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hmmm...did Greg Rucka have the Golden Lasso of Truth coiled around him when he penned those words?

Just askin ...

6. Mental

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    I always figured she had been with many amizons, but in a different way. I always thought sex was treated as a sisterly thing by them.

Anyways, do I think her sexuality will have any effect on anything? No. Why would it?

7. StarryNightsky

Funny, I always thought she was bisexual - there was a Pink News article about it in my inbox but I deleted it 'cause I figured it was old news. I must be thinking about someone else. :lol:

8. Raziel00

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    This isn't actually new. Wonder Woman has been confirmed Bisexual for years and years in the comics(like at least 20 or more). Before that it was heavily implied. This sounds like one of those things where people dredge up old information and act as if it's new simply because the modern audience didn't know it.

#8 Raziel00, Sep 30, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 30, 2016
  9. CJliving

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    It does clearly say she's not gay, because Themysirca is inhabited by only women, so it wouldn't be viewed that way. For Diana, being with women is the natural, and only, until Trevor, way to have sex and relationships. So she wouldn't identify as gay. Probably wouldn't identify as bi either. Relationships are defined by who's there and how you feel about them, not sex/gender.

And this has always been kinda implied (except for that dark 50's time, but we don't talk about that shit) but it's finally been confirmed by the writer. So yay. She's finally out.

Maybe now that one of the DC Trio is out Cap can get a boyfriend...

10. baconpox

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It could easily be someone else tbh, there are a lot of bisexual women in DC.

11. Andrew99

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Sounds about right.

12. ConnectedToWall

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I mean this is really cool...but I don't like the implication that living on a place with all women is what made her gay, because it implies that its lesser, and that having men there would be more preferable, and that they're only with women because they are the only ones there.
    Still, gay wonder women is cool.

13. purplewolf6

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Family only
    I always thought it was a "make of it as you will" with her coming from an island with nothing but women. Never liked her with Batman or Superman but tbf never read those stories. Like, why does the most popular woman have to be with the top two most popular men? Why can't they just be friends? We gonna make Green Arrow & Flash a couple now since their shows are doing well? I digress....

Anyways, I'll always love Diana regardless. WW fans unite!

14. PrettyinPunk

I've always seen Wonder Woman's sexuality as obscure but this is a cool bit of info. I think I kinda have a thing for WW so that's a bonus.:grin:

15. BookWriter1994

Good for Wonder Woman!! Now all we need is for Black Widow to come out lol!