1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Quote from "Queer as Folk" really hit me...

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by Greggers, Mar 25, 2009.

1. Greggers

I was watching Ep 12 of Season 4 Queer as Folk and this quote REALLY got me in that soft spot, i guess my heart? It almost had me crying, its just a simple quote but it really speaks to me.

Its Emmett telling Drew, who is a Fooball Quaterback whos gay but closeted and having an affair with Emmett, that he cant see him anymore if he wants to stay in the closet. Drew basically gives the exscuse that he has "everything to lose and nothing to gain". This is what emmett says in reply...

[on coming out] "Why tell anyone? Why lose everything when it can just be your little secret? You see, it was different for me. Everyone could tell who I was from the start and it didn't make my life any easier. I've been beaten up, cursed at, spit on, ignored... but in a way it was worth it. Because I have never had to live a lie and I'm not about to start now. Not for you, not for anyone." - Emmett

Not exactly my story, but i can definitely relate. I got beat up at the beginning of middle school for just being myself. I was always a little bit girly and it painted a giant target sign on me for all the insecure bullies. I spend more of grade 6 in the school advisor/discipline/counselor guys office than i did in class it seemed (i had to go to him about the bullies). After that horrible experience i did start to live a lie, so its not exactly like emmetts story but i can really relate. Its hard when who you are wants to shine on through and who you are is not what everyone else expects you to be. Staying closeted may be an option for some, but with some people you can just tell. (Hence me being at wendys are having a random stranger ask me if i was gay o_o awkward moment...)

The other big reason i love this quote is because Emmett is a HUGE role model of mine. Hes only fictional i know, but hes out and proud and has a "fuck em all" attitude when needed, and the kindest soul you will see when needed. I just love him to pieces:slight_smile: And wish i could be like him

PS: Ugh i looked forever for the clip, emmett says it SO well compared to just the simple text of it :frowning2: Look up the episode if you can! Its near the end part.

2. Myke

Myke Guest

Greggy! I remember that episode, I love Emmett :slight_smile:

It really does touch the heart. I mean we've all somewhat had to deal with bullying or trying to be part of the cool crowd. It takes a lot of courage to be yourself, especially in a social of norms and trends. I know back when I was a kid, I would try to be one of the cool kids and dress like them and what not, you want to be liked, who doesn't? It didn't take me til grade 10 to realize that you should be yourself no matter what anyone says. That was also the year that I had to confront my sexuality and figure some stuff out.

Even though the closet feels safe and inviting sometimes, you just have to remind yourself of all the hard work you've had to do to get to where you are today and how it would of been a waste if you do go back into the closet. I know I'm not exactly where I want to be right now, but I have taken a lot of steps to get to where I am today and I know it's going to take little steps to get to where I want to be. All that matters is your happiness.

3. Greggers

Aww Mikey (*hug*)

Thats so amazing. Im glad to have been there for a step or two :icon_redf

4. Kenko

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
  5. Myke

Myke Guest