1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

General News Women going into politics should expect rape threats: Former PM

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by Aussie792, Oct 12, 2016.

1. Aussie792

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It's horrifying that a woman has to make an observation like this as a matter of course, at a memorial of a murdered woman.

But I thought I'd share this as a reminder of the seriousness of sexist language and thoughts in the political sphere. In a US presidential election where the first woman to seriously compete has been called an old hag for daring not to retire from the public eye as she grew older and a bitch for being assertive, and whose physical capacity to serve has been questioned with the underlying notion that her womanhood disqualifies her from high office, it's important to remember how that sort of rhetoric legitimises violent misogyny to the point of rape and murder in our societies. Because just as that sort of mindset carries over into politics from fringe misogynists, it comes back through into everyday society as acceptable speech and belief. It says that women in general are not deserving of respect. It says that a woman's body is an acceptable object of criticism. It says a woman's voice and family and body are not to be treated as off-bounds. It says that the mockery of women is acceptable behaviour.

And I think Ms. Gillard is an outstanding voice for women - a voice of realism and fortitude in the face of misogyny and sexism, but also a symbol of hope and support.

While there's no video of her comments at the memorial, there is this speech which cemented her role in Australian political history from four years and three days ago:

[YOUTUBE]SOPsxpMzYw4[/YOUTUBE]

#1 Aussie792, Oct 12, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 12, 2016
  2. Cinis

Cinis Guest

It was kinda to be expected..I mean in a lot of big businesses here a woman still has to agree to sleep with certain people if she wants to get a good position and if she doesn't agree she'll have to do the hard work while others decide what should be done.

---------- Post added 12th Oct 2016 at 11:34 AM ----------

I'm talking about women with perfect grades and education here.

3. Kira

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Sadly humanity is not as civilized as it portrays itself, reminders like this can be found globally if you look for it. A rather notable reason I avoid even the topic of politics in public, the more barbaric individuals spring up and are rarely called out.

They don't have a valid counter argument, so they stick to brutality instead. That's not how truly civilized beings should behave. It is unfortunately a common occurrence throughout human history, however, and yet another remnant of archaic culture refusing to update itself.

That's like using Windows Vista and stabbing someone for presenting you with a free upgrade to 7.