1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

LGBT News Islamic school teaching pupils ‘homosexuality is disease’ to shut down (VIDEO)

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by I'm_Danni_x, Oct 18, 2016.

1. I'm_Danni_x

Link

I'm glad it's been shut down, bigotry is never justified.

2. Skaros

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Thing is, there's probably a lot more schools like this. Islam is very unaccepting of LGBT people, so this really doesn't come as a surprise to me.

3. DoriaN

My friend was telling me today about racism towards Jews in school, regarding some of the questions on a test he was taking. Not fun stuff.

4. Kira

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    At least something was done about such an error for once... That's unfortunately a rare occurrence for the world we live in.

Hate is the real disease, spreading it's taint to innocent children just takes years off the lives of everyone. It's a shame I can't just adopt them all and teach them myself...

5. Cinis

Cinis Guest

I think the correct word here would be antisemitism, Jews are a religion not a race or nationality after all.

6. DoriaN

Oh trust me it's the whole shebang.

7. JackAttack

JackAttack Guest

All faith schools should be shut down. It should be against human rights to force young kids to believe in something which has no evidence for existing.

8. DoriaN

Everyone has a faith, be it atheist or theist. It's not really possible to force someone to believe something they don't want to anyways, and as it happens many beliefs do have a fair amount of evidence for them, some more than others of course.

9. Kira

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I will second this. We unfortunately do not live in a time where minds have reached beyond the need of "coping mechanisms" for death however. I'll say if one day overpopulation and high death tolls are solved, this would likely follow shortly behind.

That is... if the world starts getting more intelligent leaders with the general benefactor of everyone in mind rather than appealing to the masses for re-election. Those types don't often get voted in.

10. JackAttack

JackAttack Guest

It is possible, especially if its forcing young kids who then grow up after being taught the religion exists from a young age. There is no scientific evidence that a god exists.

11. DoriaN

That's not true, though regardless it could also be said that there is no evidence a god does not exist. Your statement goes both ways, I know people that were raised as atheists that later became theists, and of course theists that later became atheists.

Science itself isn't really in the field or proving or disproving God, it itself is just a tool, and it gets used in theistic apologetics all the time.

12. JackAttack

JackAttack Guest

Im talking about kids. Their parents choose what they believe in therefore they are forced into it, just like the kids who go to the Islamic school talked about in the article. Obviously a grown adult can choose their own religion and many do (sadly in some cases this isn't true).

Religion is based on a myth, something that apparently happened a very long time ago. Fair enough science cant prove or disapprove that a god exists but again there is still no evidence for it existing so why should faith schools exist? I have nothing against people choosing their own path but making people believe in something from birth is wrong in my opinion.

13. DoriaN

I feel like you're mixing a bit of your opinion and worldview and making big claims out of it. Religion itself is just a word, but I feel as though you're basically trying to say anything but atheism is a myth, which is not true. You're of course allowed to think it's all myth, but that does not mean you can assert your beliefs as truth claims on others.

As for schools they should imo teach multiple worldviews and beliefs, or none at all. The problem with Islam is that under Sharia Law and an Islamic worldview homosexuality is not a part of human rights. That will be distressing to others that are all for LGBT rights, but it's woven into the very fabric of their society and presuppositions on the world, life and afterlife.

As for parents they tend to teach their children what they know to be true, following after their own worldview. If there is a problem with said worldview or upbringing, a child with an honest and knowledge seeking heart will be able to think for themselves and come to their own conclusion.

Again though this is not forcing a child to believe what you what, at most you can be influential, but it's not determinative.

14. JackAttack

JackAttack Guest

You can feel what you want but it doesn't mean its true. Anything but Atheism is a myth, which I believe is true. Until a "god" appears then I will continue to think the same way as I was taught to believe in what I wanted to when I was growing up. Sadly the same cannot be said about those made to go to faith schools.

Schools do teach multiple worldwide views and beliefs (I had a lesson called R.E.) but thats not what im getting at. Im talking about faith schools, such as Islamic, Catholic schools etc. Not normal schools but faith schools, there is a difference. They create segregation and hate (just read the article again). If a religion, like Islam or Christianity etc, views homosexuality as wrong then I have every right to question their religion. The children who are taken to these schools (schools picked by their parents) are then taught that homosexuality is wrong. It just spreads hate.

Again, some kids are forced to believe in what others want.

15. DoriaN

^"You can feel what you want but it doesn't mean its true."

You do realize that worldviews are based on faith right? You have an atheistic worldview, as such you probably see the world as being purely materialistic and natural in origin; not everyone agrees with this presupposition or this faith.

Some people operating under a theistic worldview may feel they will be judged for their actions, as such they may carry out a strong sense of morality and live with others in an agreeable and peaceful way; not everyone agrees with this presupposition or this faith.

Religion/faith/belief aren't just a hobby to people, it sets the foundation for how a person will live out their entire life.

As for faith-specific schools, unless you are against freedom of belief and expression then what happens within the privacy of a faith school is their right. Also you're painting them all with a very broad brush, very few of them actively teach hate or dissension, however in the specific case of Islam in this school that happens to be the case.

16. JackAttack

JackAttack Guest

Worldviews are based on a number of different factors if you didn't know and not just faith, which is one of them. Yes I am an atheist and I understand that not everyone agrees with it but im all for freedom of thought, thats why I disagree with faith schools because those kids are having a belief forced onto them.

What about the right of the child? They dont get a say in what their parents choose for them to believe. The mind of a child is a lot different to that of an adult. There is a lot of hate within certain faiths, if that is a part of the religion then that will be taught. This isnt the only faith school to be punished for teaching hate. So if that privacy is spreading hate is that their right to?

17. natalielight

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    The issue of homosexuality in Islam is a very complicated one, but at the same time there are some rays of light (as i might call them) nowadays, when there's a fresh look at what,why and when.
    It's good that the school teaching hatred did not get away with it, but at the same time the preachers might have just moved on to a different school. It's the kids that are all ears, they are the ones that need to be protected from teachings like that.

The Qur’an demands unspecified punishment for men guilty of lewdness together unless they repent.
    Yet, the Prophet is supposed to have declared that both the active and the passive partner should be subject to the same penalty as for "zina" (illicit heterosexual sex, usually adultery), namely execution by stoning.
    For Muslims generally, as for conservative Christians, homosexual acts are sinful. It is difficult to be openly gay or lesbian in predominantly Islamic countries, but in the West, there are even (a few) gay imams. Which is a huge step for those who can understand the weight of it.
    I think all hatred is wrong. Islamophobia is wrong, racism is wrong, anything to do with that needs to be stopped. I believe we all can coexist. We all need to listen to each other. And in case of Muslims those few gay imams need to finally speak up,too.

18. Tritri

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    The point is that kids should not blindly believe the religion their parents raise them under and should think on their own and determine which religion, if any, most accurately describes the world. Maybe if a child is very religious and wants to go to a high school or college that incorporates their faith, that's okay, but parents shouldn't force it while the kids are too young.
    "it can also be said there is no evidence a god does not exist"
    God is an unfalsifiable claim, so of course not. I say that if God (as described by a particular religion) were real, it would be obvious, and the evidence from science, history, and personal experience would be overwhelming. Saying you don't believe in God would be like saying you think Barack Obama isn't real. That is not the case at all, and the absence of evidence is evidence of absence.

I know religious schools often teach this kind of crap to their students. I bet a lot of the Christian schools teach that homosexuality is a sin (see the stories of gay kids in Christian schools, they're usually quite nasty).
    On the other hand, most Catholic schools I've heard of teach that creationism is complete garbage and have no problems with evolution, so many might throw out the anti-gay stuff too.

19. Tritri

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    The point is that kids should not blindly believe the religion their parents raise them under and should think on their own and determine which religion, if any, most accurately describes the world. Maybe if a child is very religious and wants to go to a high school or college that incorporates their faith, that's okay, but parents shouldn't force it while the kids are too young.
    "it can also be said there is no evidence a god does not exist"
    God is an unfalsifiable claim, so of course not. I say that if God (as described by a particular religion) were real, it would be obvious, and the evidence from science, history, and personal experience would be overwhelming. Saying you don't believe in God would be like saying you think Barack Obama isn't real. That is not the case at all, and the absence of evidence is evidence of absence.

I know religious schools often teach this kind of crap to their students. I bet a lot of the Christian schools teach that homosexuality is a sin (see the stories of gay kids in Christian schools, they're usually quite nasty).
    On the other hand, most Catholic schools I've heard of teach that creationism is complete garbage and have no problems with evolution, so many might throw out the anti-gay stuff too.

20. DoriaN

This applies to atheism as well of course, because that is also a belief and it's own way of interpreting the world. Though if you mean a parent should not teach anything about any belief or religion and only presents basic world knowledge, this may undermine the culture(Jewish feasts as a celebration of God as Creator for instance) in which the child was raised or how they try to present the truths of the world as best they can. Example; not everyone believes we evolved so if a child asks where we came from personal worldview will come into play here.

I don't actually agree with this statement personally, because it follows it's own definition or desire of how God would want to be known relative to how a person may want to see things.
    Christians believe that God gave people free will to believe in what they like, be it right or wrong, true or false. God is love, and God does not want robots to believe or love Him, He wants people to do it of their or volution and will largely leave people alone unless they want to know. If there was some single source of hard measureable proof by human standards to force people to believe, it's not voluntary or necessarily believed from a place of love just coercion which wouldn't be genuine.
    I personally think with all the hints and evidences from science, history, and personal experience is enough for a person to know but it's not thrown into a person's face against their will or wishes.

Not sure what 'crap' you are referring to, if it's the faiths themselves then that's your own view on it, I see a lot of things in schools myself I see as crap but it's not limited to a religious or secular school.
    As for what some faiths are or what some movements within them are changing, that itself is it's own very large topic.