1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

General News Philippine Leader Duterte Ditches U.S. for China, Says 'America Has Lost'

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by DoriaN, Oct 20, 2016.

1. DoriaN

https://sputniknews.com/politics/201610201046548768-philippines-us-russia/

Duterte: Philippines open to China, Russia 'war games' - News from Al Jazeera

Philippine Leader Duterte Ditches U.S. for China, Says 'America Has Lost' - NBC News

Rodrigo Duterte says 'America has lost', aligns Philippines with China - ABC News (Australian Broadcasting Corporation)

"Duterte: Philippines open to China, Russia 'war games'
    Ahead of his visit to Beijing, Filipino leader also says he will no longer allow joint military exercises with US."

"He has called U.S. President Barack Obama a "son of a bitch" and told his to "go to hell" while alluding to severing ties with the old colonial power.

On Wednesday, to the cheers of hundreds of Filipinos in Beijing, Duterte said Philippine foreign policy was veering towards China.

"I will not go to America anymore. We will just be insulted there," Duterte said. "So time to say goodbye my friend.""

---

"The Philippine president has been angered by US criticism of his war on drugs, which has claimed more than 3,700 lives, and praised China and Russia for showing him "respect".

But Duterte, signalling his shift is for pragmatic reasons, has also repeatedly ridiculed the US for what he sees as its weakening economic and military influence around the world.

He has also stirred controversy after cursing US President Barack Obama ahead of a bilateral meeting, which was later cancelled. Later, he was quoted as telling the US leader to "go to hell".

---------- Post added 20th Oct 2016 at 04:15 PM ----------

"America has lost now," Mr Duterte told Chinese and Philippine businesspeople in Beijing's Great Hall of the People, in a forum attended by Chinese Vice Premier Zhang Gaoli.

"I've realigned myself in your ideological flow and maybe I will also go to Russia to talk to [President Vladimir] Putin and tell him that there are three of us against the world — China, Philippines and Russia.