1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Homosexuals in arab countries

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by ArabMan, Mar 28, 2009.

1. ArabMan

Hi everyone,

I would like to open a discussion on LGBTs in arab countries and get your opinion, advice, questions, arguments, etc. It's a subject that passionates me and one day I would love for LGBTs in arab countries to have the same rights as in the West... The right to exist, live and be in all freedom!

Discrimination against LGBTs in arab countries is probably the worst in the world. In some countries such as Saudi Arabia, Yemen, etc. death penalty and torture is applied. However there is some slight hope, in liberal arab countries such as Lebanon (Lebanon has always been the most liberal arab country due to its many many religions, freedom of speech and democracy - only arab real democracy since 2005); gay communities are developping and they now have their first LGBT association recognized in the country for over 5 years! Check it out:
    http://www.helem.net/ way to go Helem!

Who would have thought that such organisations exist in an arab country? But again, Lebanon has always been way more advanced than other arab countries, and maybe one day LGBTs will be able to have their rights in Lebanon (it's on the right path) but there still is a HUGE amount of work to be done in more conservative/fanatic countries...

And the main problem in arab countries is the predominant religion: Islam and the level of fanatism in these country (fanatism that keeps on increasing, unfortunately). The arabs are predominantly muslims, and more and more of them are becoming extremely religious, apply the sharia (muslim laws that are 1000 years old!) and it's a frustrating thing.

I could keep on writting for hours so I better stop and pursue the discussion further if there is some interest.

A question: I always wondered what's the view of the occidentals on LGBTs in arab countries and arabs in general?

PS: and don't feel shy, say what you think, about the religion, the mentality, the people, the violence, etc.

#1 ArabMan, Mar 28, 2009
    Last edited: Mar 28, 2009
  2. Emberstone

I think a element that further fuels anti homosexual sentiment in arab countries is one that used to fuel it here in the states (and still does to some point); Apathey. There are people who probably dont feel either way on the issue, but because the authority in such places is strictly anti gay, they do to so as not to get on the wrong side. I guess apathey isnt the best word here, but the sheer fact that a religous authority is the real govermental power, often with figureheads that have no real power in the end being there to give a illusion otherwise, often makes people scared to disagree with the stance taken against someone.

In america, religous extremeist still are trying to exact the same type of control over gays. What we are lucky to have is that people are becoming more accepting of people of different orientations. Now, our religous extremist just constrain themselves to hate speeches, protests, and bombing abortions clinics. We still see spats of gay hate crimes (a gay couple were attacked last week on the oregon coast if I remeber correctly; I dont watch local news much anymore). However, the mentality is starting to change.

It is good to hear that more arab countries are becoming more democratic, and support human rights more. It is all a process in my mind. it is a process happening in america, and a process we are seeing happening in places like lebannon, and I hear japan. Cultures often based on deeply rooted traditions (religous and cultueral) are starting to stand up, and take a stand for equality. It isnt happening overnight, but progress is progress as long as you keep looking ahead, and moving forward.

3. Paul_UK

Paul_UK Guest

I am just going to post a link - http://gay.orq.ir/ - which includes Iran's punishment code on Homosexuality plus information and photos of two gay teenagers who were hanged for being gay in 2005.

[​IMG]

I completely agree. There seems to be a long way to go though.

4. Ty

Ty

Islam is a supressive, conservative religion that will never give concessions to anything Mohammed has deemed sinful. A contributing reason to this is that Mohammed forbid anyone from changing the words of the Koran, so out dated laws can't be reformed. In addition to this, they seem to take the inverse approach to the ten commandments, which are like part of the foundation of all abrihamic religions. They said "Thou shalt not kill", not "Thou shalt not kill, unless mohammed has written it's okay because they're infidels/sinners/degenerates".

Meh. I hate Islam.

5. GlindaRose

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I come from Dubai and apparently you can be arrested for being homosexual. I do not think Dubai is very democratic, it has some really strange and unfair and discriminatory laws.

You can never talk about it in public, or anywhere you might be heard by a local or else you're in deep s**t. Everything has to be done behind closed doors. You can't have an open relationship, you can't even hold hands in public or show affection or do anything the slightest bit sexual in public.

In schools there are out people, (Look at Hln D for example) but only in the expat ones, I have no idea about actual local ones but I'm guessing there aren't any out people there...

6. Just Adam

i would never live in dubai its far to constrict and unfair a place. i think one day there will be true equallity for all i just cant see it soon when the east has rallyed behind religion ( which we know from how its contexted isnt very nice to people that are different) for the last decade kind of a shame as before there was progress but this might be a good start to getting back on track im hopeful :slight_smile:

7. ArabMan

Oh yes, regarding Dubai and the United Arab Emirates (the country in which Dubai is), the laws are very very strict despite the recent booming of Dubai. Don't forget that the UAE are ruled by a bunch of Sultans and Emirs (sort of kings) that have very strict rules and these are not democratics states!

During ramadan for exemple, one cannot eat in the street and will be fined if he does so. Ramadan is a muslim holiday where you're not allowed eating or drinking when the sun is out for almost one month. I think that whether you practice ramadan or not comes out to a personal choice but no, in the UAE, you are not allowed eating in public during this month or you will be fined. So don't get all stereotypical with arab countries image is very important, you may think that Dubai, Ryadh or Jeddah are liberal cities (because they look new, and occidental) but they're usually very strict and not liberal at all!

Regarding Iran, although it's not an arab country (they have a different language, culture and history) they are close and happen to be a very muslim country. What happens there is absolutely horrifying and I agree with Paul they still have a long path to go through before LGBTs live freely over there... Maybe one day the Khomeini regime will go down?

8. Just Adam

i dont care who goes down aslong as those that go up uphold the freedoms of all people to express their love and life in a happy un pursecuited manner :slight_smile: