1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

LGBT News HRC Article About What Trump Presidency Could Mean For LGBT+ Rights

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by bubbles123, Nov 11, 2016.

1. bubbles123

bubbles123 Guest

I found this good article on the Human Rights Campaign website talking about what kind of change might be possible during a Trump presidency in regards to certain rights. Of course not all the possible outcomes are ideal but reading the questions and answers section at the bottom of the page may calm some of your fears. Stay strong guys, we're all in this together. <3

What a Trump Administration Could Mean for LGBTQ Rights | Human Rights Campaign

2. Kodo

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Interesting... It seems a lot of the threat is probably to trans individuals, as there isn't currently much law protecting us. Hopefully everything works out and at least on a state level, there may be more progressive policies. I know that Pacific coast states like CA are quite friendly to LGBT people for the most part.

3. Quantumreality

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    That's actually a very measured assessment!

Thanks for posting that link!:slight_smile:

4. BobObob

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    The HRC says:

I think that they're greatly underestimating the odds of one of those five justices dying. Ginsburg (pro-marriage equality) is currently 83, and will be 87 after one more presidential term and 91 after two. Trump has stated that he wants to put copies of Scalia (anti-marriage equality) on the bench. So Ginsburg dying could mean that SCOTUS could end up with 5 out of 9 justices being anti-marriage equality.

5. ConnectedToWall

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I just realized something. Human's Rights Campaign. HRC. Hillary Rodham Clinton. Hillary is a Human Right's activist and even her name says it.
    #i'mstillwithher

---------- Post added 11th Nov 2016 at 08:23 PM ----------

I noticed the article didn't mention conversion therapy. Hillary Clinton would have banned that, Mike Pence is going to continue to work to fund that like he did in the past.

6. seeking

Think this was helpful for people understanding that it won't be easy to overturn this...and probably be pretty unlikely for the next 4 years.

@ConnectedToWall...I think conversion therapy might have some laws against it base on state (probably not all.) I would think if a lawyer argued against conversion therapy in a creative way it could be seen as something that goes against the well being on a human being. All base on what actions occurred during the 'therapy'.

Going to be a very unpredictable 4 years for other policies I feel. Trump is not exactly forthcoming and trying to keep citizens in the know about certain stuff. (I understand not wanting to share things related to real time military plans/issues.)

Plus if they try to impose on any rights I hope as a nation we have learned to protest in a peaceful manner (even though some protest as of lately hasn't been the most peaceful.)

I stay in my house after the sun goes down.

7. DAFriend

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I don't expect much, if anything to affect LGBTQ in the next four years, it's beyond that. I expect that, by the time we can vote Trump out, we will have a conservative majority in the Supreme Court and, that's when changes, for the worse happen.

Marriage becomes a state issue, some states will outlaw it and, refuse to even recognize our spouses, taking away inheritance and retirement (Social Security) rights. Trans people well be stuck indefinitely using the public restroom of their birth gender. None of us will be safe from being fired, denied care or service and LGBTQ will be a valid reason to deny us jobs, medical care, service at restaurants, etc...

Not in the next 4 years, but in 10, 20, 30, 40 years, yeah with a conservative Supreme Court, we get NOTHING, we take whatever is dished out to us and, hope we don't get beaten to death in our own back yards.

In short, this country foolishly put guns and big business ahead of human rights - chose violence over compassion, money over moral. Not a good way to go.

8. pinkpanther

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    With Pense as VP I'm almost positive we'll see anti-lgbt legislation almost immediately. The guy is an evangelical christian and a raging homophobe.

9. Kira

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I'm really, really worried about this too.

Especially when they get into office, this wreck will probably get passed:

National Security Threatened By Religious Amendment In Defense Spending Bill

I fail to see why they find discrimination to be so important, still baffled by this...