1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

General News Trumps first test of his word may come in Jan. with ACA

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by sldanlm, Nov 13, 2016.

1. sldanlm

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Trump may encounter roadblocks if he tries to scrap health law

Although the article mentions Ohio, it applies to any state that accepted the Affordable Care Act. Trump has said even just this week that the ACA will be not only repealed but replaced with a better plan, keeping a couple of aspects of Obamacare that he likes. He claimed it would be seamless, same day, not repeal Obamacare now and do something new years from now so that people wouldn't have choices. Apparently some Republicans in the House and Senate have other ideas however. They simply want to reset to before Obamacare, leaving millions without healthcare and stressing the E.R. system to a breaking point. The article doesn't even mention the prospect of a possible presidential veto if they try that.

Ironically some of the same people who now think they have the power to get passed whatever they want were opposed to Trump before the election. :dry:

#1 sldanlm, Nov 13, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 13, 2016
  2. Browncoat

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    "Better plan?" So, single payer? :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

3. seeking

He really never gives details...and I think he keeps forgetting the president doesn't have the last say. Everything is a democracy...voted by those in government.

While I am not a lawyer or practice in any government faculty...that is my working knowledge of the government system.

Anyway...while I thought ObamaCare was a good idea...I do agree with many that it was executed poorly on a financial level.

We'll see. I am not sure how he is going to Replace ObamaCare with a New plan in like 24 hours....when his inauguration in like 3 months away....didn't it take Obama longer to get it approved... ObamaCare isn't what his original plan was with ObamaCare.

#3 seeking, Nov 13, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 13, 2016
  4. sldanlm

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Actually he does have the last say, in the same way Obama does now. If the House and Senate send him a repeal without a replacement, or doesn't have the 2 things he wants in a replacement bill (like some in the Senate are talking about) he could veto it. The Republicans don't have a veto proof majority. If this scenario happened it would be great. It would show that he is not just some puppet of the Republican establishment. Although I'm not confident of this, I hope I'm wrong.

5. DAFriend

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    This is the one thing I hope he can do and, do ASAP, overturn Obamacare. My rates increased when it went into effect and, i just got the notice today that they are going up again. I dropped my health insurance. I can't afford Obamacare.

I took food off my table and turned to hunting and fishing for 100% of my meat just to afford Obamacare initially. I did not change providers and, my coverage did not change, the cost went up by 142 USD per WEEK, that's over 500 USD more per month I had to pay. Now another 24% on top of that is too much. I will not turn off my internet or electricity to pay for health insurance.

6. seeking

yea.. the price is ridiculous. We had similar issues as you are....but we haven't dropped it mostly because of our health issues.

Some major adjustments would have to be made for ObamaCare to be successful...my only thought is how fast could Trump execute a new health plan or would he end up just having to reconstruct ObamaCare. Not sure...politics is no where near my specialty.

We have cut down our food and got creative with how to make a hearty meal that lasts a week lol.

Guess we'll see...I just pray Trump pleasantly surprises me as a very good president. But, every president has it's disappointment at some point.

7. Aussie792

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    The greatest hope is that Trump will temper the market fundamentalism of his party in Congress. Even if Ryan and McConnell want to abolish it in its entirety, Trump's base is quite different from theirs, which means he might not gut it entirely. The most popular aspects of the ACA, such as prohibiting denying coverage for existing conditions, may yet survive.

8. sldanlm

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    UPDATE: I don't normally watch Fox news, but I was at a restaurant where it was on. VP Mike Pence was being interviewed by Chris Wallace. Pence made a comment about how "Trump wants to make repealing Obamacare a priority, and begin the process of replacing it."This is 180 different than what Trump said on 60 minutes, when he said Obamacare would be repealed and replaced at the same time, keeping a couple of options he liked about Obamacare. Despite what some news agencies have reported, Trump's comments were not a reversal of things he has said on the campaign, because I recall hearing similar comments before the election. Someone is lying, or Pence and Trump aren't on the same page with issues. If the A.C.A is allowed to be repealed without a suitable replacement at the same time, it isn't likely to be done. The Republicans had many chances under the Bush administration, and never got it done because they simply didn't care enough about it. The only way there might even be a chance at a suitable replacement is if they have the carrot of repealing Obamacare. Without that nothing will happen. If there is this much confusion about this issue, it makes me wonder about other issues as well.

9. BMC77

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    The Republicans not only had many chances under Bush, but there were all those years before... Health care has been an issue every election cycle I can remember since the early 1990s (when Bill Clinton was in office). It probably goes back even further than that, judging from what others tell me.

Realistically, the Republican ideas won't be very helpful for many people in real America. I doubt that "allowing insurance sales across state lines" will help bring costs down. Special savings accounts are useless for those making only enough to survive, which is a large chunk of America.

The only thing that provides any hope is that there might not be the votes to kill ACA in the Senate. Yes, they've passed repeal legislation before now, and they'll have a majority next year. But, as some experts have pointed out, it's not entirely impossible that some Republicans will vote against their party. In the past, it was entirely a symbolic act--a slap across the face of the President. But now, there are real world consequences, and one real world consequence might be really angry constituents some places that might make the next election cycle a problem for the senator.

#9 BMC77, Nov 20, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 20, 2016
  10. midwestgirl89

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    The only thing I hope they change is the mandatory health insurance or you have to pay a fine. Affordable Healthcare is quite frankly not affordable for many. If you don't make hardly money at all you can qualify for Medicaid but otherwise you are stuck paying steep deductibles and monthly payments. I hope they don't fully get rid of it and I do like the age 26 and pre-existing conditions that Trump said he wants to keep. I don't think he has as much power as he thinks he does though.